Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:28 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
I have said as much. While your posts on the history of the democratic party exposes blatent racism within it, it also exposes the modern republican's strategy to garner those blatent racist votes.

You resent dems claiming the moral high ground in the issue of racism in America, I think I got that. Dare I say you hold them in contempt.
Did you mean to quote yourself and then argue with yourself? I mean I am sure that is a style and if it works for you go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Did you mean to quote yourself and then argue with yourself? I mean I am sure that is a style and if it works for you go for it.
I wouldn't worry until he starts commenting on the discussion from a third-party viewpoint...

Old 12-28-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I wouldn't worry until he starts commenting on the discussion from a third-party viewpoint...
I mean my whole thing is that we elect Obama and somehow it transforms our lives and the party into being something special and different then what history and reality would suggest. It took a lot of hard work to get many Democrats on board to vote for him and some still didn't and the papers were full of stories why they didn't. Tolerance comes in different sizes, shapes, colors and poltical affiliation. Racism comes in the very same packages and until you open the individual package you don't know what you have.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 AM

273 posts, read 342,758 times
Quote:
I mean my whole thing is that we elect Obama and somehow it transforms our lives and the party into being something special and different then what history and reality would suggest.
So Obama does wash the racist sins of the party away? I think we have come full circle here.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
So Obama does wash the racist sins of the party away? I think we have come full circle here.
No not all, I was joking about those who would seem to post as if it did.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
I mean my whole thing is that we elect Obama and somehow it transforms our lives and the party into being something special and different then what history and reality would suggest. It took a lot of hard work to get many Democrats on board to vote for him and some still didn't and the papers were full of stories why they didn't. Tolerance comes in different sizes, shapes, colors and poltical affiliation. Racism comes in the very same packages and until you open the individual package you don't know what you have.
Obama's election is, indeed, something special. He is intelligent, articulate, educated, thoughtful, and apparently unflappable. Those traits are what convinced the Vast Majority of voters to give him the opportunity to take on what will in all likelihood be one of the most challenging jobs any person on this planet has ever faced, particularly at this juncture in time.

There were members of both parties I am sure who voted for or against him based on nothing more complicated than the tint of his integument. At the same time, I would like to believe that he was elected because America is smarter than anyone gives it credit for being and didn't bother to dwell on his color. The last time I heard, he was still half black and half white, at various times in history known as a mulatto, a High Yellow, a mixed breed, a "mutt" if you would, not one race or the other exclusively.

It is my sincere hope and abiding confidence that he will perform over and above expectations, knowing full well there will be compromises, setbacks, and things that will be tried and just plain not work.

If he can accomplish what he has set out to do, the finest legacy Mr. Obama could hope for will be not that he was black and managed to get elected by democrats or republicans, but that he was decided to be the best choice for the presidency by a majority of Americans who will not teach their children hatred of diversity going forward, but raise them to accept all people for what they are and call any person "friend" who wishes to be one.

Democrats are not the ones who can or have changed anything. All they did was vote, and their work was done with the help of many who may never vote for a democratic candidate again.

From here on out, only Mr. Obama can justify America's choice.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Obama's election is, indeed, something special. He is intelligent, articulate, educated, thoughtful, and apparently unflappable. Those traits are what convinced the Vast Majority of voters to give him the opportunity to take on what will in all likelihood be one of the most challenging jobs any person on this planet has ever faced, particularly at this juncture in time.

There were members of both parties I am sure who voted for or against him based on nothing more complicated than the tint of his integument. At the same time, I would like to believe that he was elected because America is smarter than anyone gives it credit for being and didn't bother to dwell on his color. The last time I heard, he was still half black and half white, at various times in history known as a mulatto, a High Yellow, a mixed breed, a "mutt" if you would, not one race or the other exclusively.

It is my sincere hope and abiding confidence that he will perform over and above expectations, knowing full well there will be compromises, setbacks, and things that will be tried and just plain not work.

If he can accomplish what he has set out to do, the finest legacy Mr. Obama could hope for will be not that he was black and managed to get elected by democrats or republicans, but that he was decided to be the best choice for the presidency by a majority of Americans who will not teach their children hatred of diversity going forward, but raise them to accept all people for what they are and call any person "friend" who wishes to be one.

Democrats are not the ones who can or have changed anything. All they did was vote, and their work was done with the help of many who may never vote for a democratic candidate again.

From here on out, only Mr. Obama can justify America's choice.
well said

Old 12-28-2008, 12:21 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
The Vast Majority? Perhaps we use that term differently. The tally was 53% to 46%. A difference of 7 percentage points. There were roughly 58 million voters he DIDN'T convince, and 67 million he did. Yes, he won the majority of votes, but I would call it the Vast Majority.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Wow the ultimate test for a liberal. How would you feel if a family member married one!
I have liberals in my family so that would not bother me in the least. I get along with folks from different political persuasions.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Real americans were spontaneously dancing in the streets on election night. Real americans are going in droves to DC for the inaugural.
I know it was real america that elected Obama. My comments were about the context that Palin made certain comments. Obviously she was wrong about real america that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections