U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:14 AM

14,095 posts, read 23,646,612 times

Advertisements

Here is the LA Times article the song is a parody of;

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center
Obama the 'Magic Negro'

The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.

By David Ehrenstein, L.A.-based DAVID EHRENSTEIN writes about Hollywood and politics.
March 19, 2007

AS EVERY CARBON-BASED life form on this planet surely knows, Barack Obama, the junior Democratic senator from Illinois, is running for president. Since making his announcement, there has been no end of commentary about him in all quarters — musing over his charisma and the prospect he offers of being the first African American to be elected to the White House.

Last edited by Kristynwy; 12-27-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: copyright violation, next time just a summary+link please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 01:15 AM

So, are you going to call the LA Times racist or are you going to admit your bias and hatred for Republicans in general?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:17 AM

13,180 posts, read 13,064,365 times
Quote:
Here is the LA Times article the song is a parody of;

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...opinion-center
Obama the 'Magic Negro'

The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.

By David Ehrenstein, L.A.-based DAVID EHRENSTEIN writes about Hollywood and politics.
March 19, 2007

AS EVERY CARBON-BASED life form on this planet surely knows, Barack Obama, the junior Democratic senator from Illinois, is running for president. Since making his announcement, there has been no end of commentary about him in all quarters — musing over his charisma and the prospect he offers of being the first African American to be elected to the White House.
Moderator cut: in the process of fixing the copyright violation in your quote from the OP, your reply got lost. please feel free to edit this post to re-add your reply, sorry about that... my apologies...

Last edited by Kristynwy; 12-27-2008 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: edited the copyright violation in the quote

Old 12-27-2008, 01:21 AM

His satire song entirely made fun of the LA Times article in which the term "magic negro" was used and yet you still say it was Rush and Republicans who are racist and not the LA Times, the source of the term in question. You suffer from blind hatred and I pity you.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:08 AM

18,074 posts, read 10,102,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Please show me one post, just one, from you calling out your brethren for the awful comments made against Bush.
When you tell the truth, you don't have to back up.

I'm sure that the reality of Bush's crimes will be shown to be far worse than any of us can dream up when the investigations start in earnest next month.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Are you serious? You actually thought Rush was a journalist? He is an entertainerbut when he says ignorance is the greatest commodity in America, he is right.
Limbaugh should know. He owns the patent on it.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Well ... I never attended any of Sarah's rally's and not all republicans I know supported Sarah. Personally, I think some of the racist antics in the Palin rally's were democratic plants to reinforce false stereotypes about the republican party and not representatives of true conservatives.
The problem lies not with whether there were plants in the audience, but with the reaction to them.

Here is a quick clip of Sarah in Iowa completely ignoring a racist when she had the opportunity to speak out against racism. Silence = complicity and/or approval where I come from.

Racist Palin video

Old 12-27-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes, looks like the GOP is really serious about turning the corner after McCain/Palin...... Expanding the base don't you know?

What they need it seems is more hate, more spitefulness, and most of all more, Rush Limbaugh humor!

This ape is likely the new leader of the RNC. An idiot who passes out racist CD's to gain support???

God I hope he wins.

The ball is in the court of the rank-and-file republicans. If they allow this man to become the head of the RNC, the party will deserve all the invective which can be heaped on them and more.

As a Russian proverb so aptly noted, "Fish rot from the head".

Old 12-27-2008, 03:30 AM

cuebald, did you even bother to read the LA Times article that was being parodied in the song? I posted the link and entire article for all to read. You call Rush and Republicans racist. Will you also call the LA Times and the author of the article a racist for calling Obama the magic negro?

Old 12-27-2008, 03:35 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,795,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
Did I miss a thread, is there any outrage over this?
As requested, a couple of people with insomnia have now managed to manufacture some faux outrage.

As for me, this song doesn't seem particularly offensive. Stupid, yes. Sounds like something I'd hear at a middle school. But it's no more offensive than some of the stuff I've seen on the Daily Show (much of which is stupid too, IMO).

So I don't think recording the songs was a mistake... but mailing it to people who didn't request it????? That's the mistake, IMO.

Did they send them out to all the members, or just to a select few that they knew would appreciate it? Because I know a lot of older people wouldn't appreciate getting this in their mail. And they would feel the rnc was wasting money sending out something that doesn't serve any paticular purpose, and could be considered in bad taste.

My uncle Glenn, for example, is a GOP member and a rather proper old gentleman. He probably wouldn't mind the songs being on a comedy special on tv, but mailing it to him as a present would strike him as bad taste.

But hey--if the GOP wants to continue turning off it's members that's ok by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or