U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2009, 01:07 PM

1,315 posts, read 943,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I prefer a President that can protect us from nuclear....
Then maybe you should have voted against Dubya....

North Korea got Nukes under his watch...

Iran has gotten 90% of the way to getting Nukes under his watch...

Dubya protected us against Nukes??? In a pig's eye...

Dubya couldn't even get Bin Laden... and he had him trapped in Tora Bora... Give us a break.. Dubya is TERRIBLE at national security.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:07 PM

8,705 posts, read 4,504,177 times
If nothing else, we'll have four years with a president who can pronounce nuclear correctly, and that's a start in my book.

Quote:
I prefer a President that can protect us from nuclear....
Like W did in North Korea and Iran?

Classic moves, Mr. Bush.

"Slick As A Soapmaker's Ass" is the phrase that comes to mind to describe the way you handled yourself when confronted with supressing nu-ku-lar proliferation.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:12 PM

1,130 posts, read 870,230 times
Was more a matter of not voting for another republican. In addition if something should happen to him Palen would have stepped up to president and the thought of that is down right scary.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:18 PM

4,772 posts, read 4,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Then maybe you should have voted against Dubya....

North Korea got Nukes under his watch...

Iran has gotten 90% of the way to getting Nukes under his watch...

Dubya protected us against Nukes??? In a pig's eye...

Dubya couldn't even get Bin Laden... and he had him trapped in Tora Bora... Give us a break.. Dubya is TERRIBLE at national security.
hmmm.....

AllPolitics - Clinton Clears Way For Nuclear Technology Sales To China - Oct. 29, 1997

N. Korea Aims to Improve on Clinton-Era Nuclear Deal - washingtonpost.com

Bubba Clinton's Legacy - A Nuclear Iran

looks like your historical knowledge starts after the Clinton admin..nice try though

Old 01-01-2009, 01:22 PM

8,705 posts, read 4,504,177 times
Quote:
The WaPo as a legitimate "news" source?

Makes the other two look suspect, also.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:25 PM

4,772 posts, read 4,264,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The WaPo as a legitimate "news" source?

Makes the other two look suspect, also.
regardless of the source, facts are facts..unless your a liberal..in which case facts take a back seat to feelings...

Old 01-01-2009, 02:13 PM

1,315 posts, read 943,161 times
Quote:
regardless of the source, facts are facts..unless your a liberal..in which case facts take a back seat to feelings...
That is one of the dumbest things I've hear... depending on the source things may be 'distortions' or 'half truths' - not FACTS...

Here is a NY Times article about how North Korea developed nukes on Dubya's watch... They state that they tested one weapon, and developed weapons-grade material for at least 8 more:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/wo...a/12korea.html

This one is from the Washington Post - about his failure in containing Iran's nuclear program:
David Ignatius - Bush's Iran Policy Has Failed - washingtonpost.com

Seems like your 'facts' are in question, hmmm???

Yup, we're definitely safer now than when Bush took office - in a pig's eye!!

Old 01-01-2009, 02:25 PM

216 posts, read 180,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Give me a break. If you're defending Wright, you need to put the Kool Aid down. The only actions Wright mentions are OLD and NO LONGER IN PLACE. Nobody is proud of this country's history of slavery. That said, African Americans (and all Americans) can do what they want so long as they put their mind to it. Look at the nonsense Wright says about Bush. What a load of non-sense.

As much as I despise slavery, I think one of the worst things African Americans can do is dwell on it and blame Government if they find themselves in difficult situations today. Nobody should look to Government to improve their lives. They should rely on themselves. Politicians are loyal first and foremost to themselves and private citizens should be as well. No one is going to help you if you don't help yourself.

There is a term called victicrat which is what Wright wants his followers to be. He is basically telling them that they are in bad places and it's OK b/c it's someone else's (i.e. the Government's) fault. What a joke!

Anyone who defends this sermon is a moron!
Urban Dictionary: Victicrat
No, you give me a break with that played out "kool-aid" quote, I'm sick of hearing it and it lacks creativity!

I'm not trying to convince anyone, just providing a different point of view. There are two sides to every story and I totally understand Rev Wright remarks. The real morons are those who think that their way of thinking is the only right way to think, how foolish.

Also, your comment on how no one should look to the government to improve their lives is just naive. What has the government been doing for the past few months! A clue, financial bailout!!!

Last edited by KatinNJ; 01-01-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-01-2009, 03:29 PM

5,604 posts, read 4,383,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I felt the safety and financial security of this country was the most important thing at the moment. Had we been in a time of peace with no terrorists out there drooling at the thought of bombing us again and our financial house of cards was in order, I may have voted Dem.

I'm actually very concerned with where the next 4 years will take us. I hope very strongly that I'm wrong and that Obama turns out to be a phenomenal Prez and get this country's financial mess cleaned up, and not by taking my tax dollars to bail out failing businesses. I hope he keeps us safe in very turbulent times. I hope a lot of things when it comes to him......
Not to pick on you personally but a lot of Republicans, Democrats too but mostly Republicans have this laundry list of "To Do's" for our new president that are highly unrealistic. Without singlehandedly re-writing the Constitution of the United States there is simply no way that Obama or any other human being for that matter can guarantee the sweeping changes to fix all that has gone wrong to bring America where it is today. I think it is highly indicative of the quandry that many Republicans find themselves in that they are skeptical of a Democrats ability to "keep us safe" when under a Republican watch America suffered unprecedented losses at home and abroad. How does that disqualify Democrats from presiding over America going forward. How, I ask, did Bush/Cheney empower a single Republican to believe that McCain/Palin were a better choice than Obama/Biden?

Unless the U.S. position with respect to Israel fundamentally changes there will not be any "safety" in America. Period. You cannot guarantee safety with near strip searches in airline terminals and subway stations and wiretapping of residential phone lines and internet connections. A police state is not neccessarily a "safe" state. Remember, "those who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - B. Franklin. Ditto the financial mess. Obama didn't cause it and the cure is to bring executive compensation to something closer to 20 or 50 to 1 instead of the 200 or 400 to 1 that exists. And an immediate moratorium on all factory relocations, outsourcing and work Visa's for immigration. Will this, can this happen in one term of a presidents administration? No. Therefore the financial crisis will deepen and it will not be Obama's fault.

Obama is the ultimate scapegoat. I am sure he knows it. I don't know what he would or could have done otherwise, but I am putting it out there that all of you that are hoping against hope for "miracles" from the White House" when miracles have never been hoped for or expected before are only betraying your lack of trust in a non-white male. Despite the repeated failures of white males, administration after administration, the inbuilt prejudice against people of color trumps the evidence of your own finances and quality of life. Obama's 'failure' is all but assured because, he has been given an impossible mandate: fix America, but don't change anything, or else! Thus will set forth the "take away" of campaign rhetoric of future campaigns. "You know what happened the last time we did that... ..." White America does not deserve the talents and abilities of leaders like Obama because they are too conflicted. Other minorities enjoy America's liberties and opportunities without seeking to "give back" in any way. They simply keep their heads down and make the money. It takes courage and leadership to want to rise higher than that and become a target for change. I hope (but cannot pray) that courage and leadership will be all that are required of Obama.

H

Old 01-01-2009, 03:49 PM

2,150 posts, read 1,519,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Not to pick on you personally but a lot of Republicans, Democrats too but mostly Republicans have this laundry list of "To Do's" for our new president that are highly unrealistic. Without singlehandedly re-writing the Constitution of the United States there is simply no way that Obama or any other human being for that matter can guarantee the sweeping changes to fix all that has gone wrong to bring America where it is today. I think it is highly indicative of the quandry that many Republicans find themselves in that they are skeptical of a Democrats ability to "keep us safe" when under a Republican watch America suffered unprecedented losses at home and abroad. How does that disqualify Democrats from presiding over America going forward. How, I ask, did Bush/Cheney empower a single Republican to believe that McCain/Palin were a better choice than Obama/Biden?

Unless the U.S. position with respect to Israel fundamentally changes there will not be any "safety" in America. Period. You cannot guarantee safety with near strip searches in airline terminals and subway stations and wiretapping of residential phone lines and internet connections. A police state is not neccessarily a "safe" state. Remember, "those who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - B. Franklin. Ditto the financial mess. Obama didn't cause it and the cure is to bring executive compensation to something closer to 20 or 50 to 1 instead of the 200 or 400 to 1 that exists. And an immediate moratorium on all factory relocations, outsourcing and work Visa's for immigration. Will this, can this happen in one term of a presidents administration? No. Therefore the financial crisis will deepen and it will not be Obama's fault.

Obama is the ultimate scapegoat. I am sure he knows it. I don't know what he would or could have done otherwise, but I am putting it out there that all of you that are hoping against hope for "miracles" from the White House" when miracles have never been hoped for or expected before are only betraying your lack of trust in a non-white male. Despite the repeated failures of white males, administration after administration, the inbuilt prejudice against people of color trumps the evidence of your own finances and quality of life. Obama's 'failure' is all but assured because, he has been given an impossible mandate: fix America, but don't change anything, or else! Thus will set forth the "take away" of campaign rhetoric of future campaigns. "You know what happened the last time we did that... ..." White America does not deserve the talents and abilities of leaders like Obama because they are too conflicted. Other minorities enjoy America's liberties and opportunities without seeking to "give back" in any way. They simply keep their heads down and make the money. It takes courage and leadership to want to rise higher than that and become a target for change. I hope (but cannot pray) that courage and leadership will be all that are required of Obama.

H
Good post - you make a lot of valid points...

To answer the main point - I highlighted it in bold - you are absolutely correct that the right is heaping one unrealistic goal after another upon Obama - because in their mind - if he doesn't live up to 110% of them - they will proclaim him a total failure... Infantile - I know - but that's the nature of the opposition..

Funny - we NEVER had even a definition of 'victory' for the Iraq War - this was also by intent - if you never have a goal - then you can't be held for coming up short. The same people that hold Obama to the standard of a God never had ANY measurable goal for Bush in Iraq... It's called the old double-standard!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.