Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Apparently, not paying taxes is a badge of honor among the neocons.
obama's campaign treasurer was/is a 'neocon'?

how odd..

Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM

216 posts, read 290,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Not to pick on you personally but a lot of Republicans, Democrats too but mostly Republicans have this laundry list of "To Do's" for our new president that are highly unrealistic. Without singlehandedly re-writing the Constitution of the United States there is simply no way that Obama or any other human being for that matter can guarantee the sweeping changes to fix all that has gone wrong to bring America where it is today. I think it is highly indicative of the quandry that many Republicans find themselves in that they are skeptical of a Democrats ability to "keep us safe" when under a Republican watch America suffered unprecedented losses at home and abroad. How does that disqualify Democrats from presiding over America going forward. How, I ask, did Bush/Cheney empower a single Republican to believe that McCain/Palin were a better choice than Obama/Biden?

Unless the U.S. position with respect to Israel fundamentally changes there will not be any "safety" in America. Period. You cannot guarantee safety with near strip searches in airline terminals and subway stations and wiretapping of residential phone lines and internet connections. A police state is not neccessarily a "safe" state. Remember, "those who can give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - B. Franklin. Ditto the financial mess. Obama didn't cause it and the cure is to bring executive compensation to something closer to 20 or 50 to 1 instead of the 200 or 400 to 1 that exists. And an immediate moratorium on all factory relocations, outsourcing and work Visa's for immigration. Will this, can this happen in one term of a presidents administration? No. Therefore the financial crisis will deepen and it will not be Obama's fault.

Obama is the ultimate scapegoat. I am sure he knows it. I don't know what he would or could have done otherwise, but I am putting it out there that all of you that are hoping against hope for "miracles" from the White House" when miracles have never been hoped for or expected before are only betraying your lack of trust in a non-white male. Despite the repeated failures of white males, administration after administration, the inbuilt prejudice against people of color trumps the evidence of your own finances and quality of life. Obama's 'failure' is all but assured because, he has been given an impossible mandate: fix America, but don't change anything, or else! Thus will set forth the "take away" of campaign rhetoric of future campaigns. "You know what happened the last time we did that... ..." White America does not deserve the talents and abilities of leaders like Obama because they are too conflicted. Other minorities enjoy America's liberties and opportunities without seeking to "give back" in any way. They simply keep their heads down and make the money. It takes courage and leadership to want to rise higher than that and become a target for change. I hope (but cannot pray) that courage and leadership will be all that are required of Obama.

H
Great comments

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I am refering of course to Barak Obama. Can someon please tell me what he has done that makes you so sure he is going to be a great President?
He's demonstrated leadership,when it counted.
He took the right decisions when it meant.
He has demonstrated the ability to be respectful to his opponents, and openness to listen to them.

And above all, he has defeated Atwater-inspired Rovian politics by staying focused on what America needs.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:17 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
He's demonstrated leadership,when it counted.
He took the right decisions when it meant.
He has demonstrated the ability to be respectful to his opponents, and openness to listen to them.

And above all, he has defeated Atwater-inspired Rovian politics by staying focused on what America needs.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Why do so many put so much trust in a man who has done nothing?

Quote:
I am refering of course to Barak Obama. Can someon please tell me what he has done that makes you so sure he is going to be a great President?
Please explain your anxiety in this interim period before Obama has taken office. You're worrying and fretting needlessly. Obama's accomplishments are common knowledge. Pretending to be ignorant at this point is just silly.

By way of analogy, I'll refer to Ronald Reagan. Most consider his presidency to be quite successful and the man has millions of admirers, me included. Prior to 1980, he had no accomplishments of note, other than numerous roles in B movies. His term as California governor was uneventful. Yet, he did well in office. I think it's because he was genuine, and people sensed that he loved America and cared about its people. If Obama can simply give that impression alone, he'll be light years ahead of Bush, who didn't give a tinker's damn about the country or anyone living here outside of a handful of his cronies, who profited tremendously at the expense of the rest of us.

Yes, it will be quite a welcome change to get a real president in the White House, instead of the stammering, stubborn, bumble-headed grandson of a billionaire, who thinks America is his private garage sale.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:31 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please explain your anxiety in this interim period before Obama has taken office. You're worrying and fretting needlessly. Obama's accomplishments are common knowledge. Pretending to be ignorant at this point is just silly.

By way of analogy, I'll refer to Ronald Reagan. Most consider his presidency to be quite successful and the man has millions of admirers, me included. Prior to 1980, he had no accomplishments of note, other than numerous roles in B movies. His term as California governor was uneventful. Yet, he did well in office. I think it's because he was genuine, and people sensed that he loved America and cared about its people. If Obama can simply give that impression alone, he'll be light years ahead of Bush, who didn't give a tinker's damn about the country or anyone living here outside of a handful of his cronies, who profited tremendously at the expense of the rest of us.

Yes, it will be quite a welcome change to get a real president in the White House, instead of the stammering, stubborn, bumble-headed grandson of a billionaire, who thinks America is his private garage sale.
All good points. I'd like to add that Obama inspired people to think that they could indeed make a difference in this country in their own small way, and he got them to go out and vote in droves. This showed leadership of the kind we have been lacking in this country for a long time.

The Republicans couldn't put anybody on the ticket that matched this. Instead, you had inspiration on one side, and desperation on the other. Many thinkiing people recognized that desperation, and voted against it.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:43 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Yes, it will be quite a welcome change to get a real president in the White House
You might want to wait until he actually gets in office before you make proclomations that he is a "Real President"

Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
You might want to wait until he actually gets in office before you make proclomations that he is a "Real President"
Those are'nt proclamations. Those are on your face realities that you refuse to accept.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:38 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Those are'nt proclamations. Those are on your face realities that you refuse to accept.
Huh?
What reality are you talking about? The man is NOT THE PRESIDENT YET! At this point there are no "realities"

Old 01-03-2009, 02:06 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Huh?
What reality are you talking about? The man is NOT THE PRESIDENT YET! At this point there are no "realities"
Do you intend to whine about Obama until the 2012 elections, or might we see you cease your whining after January 20th when he's "The Real President"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections