U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:29 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,635,925 times

Advertisements

Another thread that mentioned "a man with no experience" got me wondering - how was Obama selected as a candidate to run for the office of President?

He had 2 years experience in the US Senate and 7 in the Illinois Senate.

So what was the magic thing/action on his part that prompted the Dems to select him to run for office?

Please do not tell me it was on race only. Please do not tell me that in order to get a Dem as President they figured let's nominate a woman and a black.

I'm not trying to start a controversy. I just honestly am wondering what it was that drew the attention of the Democratic party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times
They had this little thing called a primary race. The people who wanted to apply for the job campaigned against each other. Then the party members voted for the one they thought would do the best job.

Don't feel bad that you hadn't heard about this until now, it wasn't in the news very much last year.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:54 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,081,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I'm not trying to start a controversy. I just honestly am wondering what it was that drew the attention of the Democratic party?
On the off chance that you are being sincere...

The primary reason that Obama's campaign gained traction was that of the major contenders he was the only one who have vocally opposed the war in Iraq. In my humble opinion, if Hillary, early in the campaign, had just come out and stated that she was wrong instead of trying to waffle her way out of her vote, Obama wouldn't be where he is.

The second main development was when Obama won the Iowa caucus as a result of having a vastly superior ground game than his opponents (chalk one up for community organizers). When Obama one Iowa, he was catapulted from outside shot to serious contender, this was the moment that African Americans started to take his candidacy seriously and leading to his South Carolina victory. With two primary victories going into Super Tuesday, the eloquent, anti-war, anti-Clinton candidate began to look very attractive to Democrats.

Add to all of this the fact that the Obama campaign fully understood the Dean's 50 state strategy, the potential of the internet allowed him to build a superior ground operation, the likes of which most long time observers had never seen before.

Plus he's a likable fellow, and it doesn't hurt that he is tall, good looking and is a commanding orator.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
They had this little thing called a primary race. The people who wanted to apply for the job campaigned against each other. Then the party members voted for the one they thought would do the best job.

Don't feel bad that you hadn't heard about this until now, it wasn't in the news very much last year.
You are very funny. Now, can you answer the question which was actually asked - what did he do to make the Dems select him?

Old 12-29-2008, 06:59 AM

11,102 posts, read 13,185,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

The primary reason that Obama's campaign gained traction was that of the major contenders he was the only one who have vocally opposed the war in Iraq. In my humble opinion, if Hillary, early in the campaign, had just come out and stated that she was wrong instead of trying to waffle her way out of her vote, Obama wouldn't be where he is.

The second main development was when Obama won the Iowa caucus as a result of having a vastly superior ground game than his opponents (chalk one up for community organizers). When Obama one Iowa, he was catapulted from outside shot to serious contender, this was the moment that African Americans started to take his candidacy seriously and leading to his South Carolina victory. With two primary victories going into Super Tuesday, the eloquent, anti-war, anti-Clinton candidate began to look very attractive to Democrats.

Add to all of this the fact that the Obama campaign fully understood the Dean's 50 state strategy, the potential of the internet allowed him to build a superior ground operation, the likes of which most long time observers had never seen before.

Plus he's a likable fellow, and it doesn't hurt that he is tall, good looking and is a commanding orator.
IMO you've pretty much nailed it

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Another thread that mentioned "a man with no experience" got me wondering - how was Obama selected as a candidate to run for the office of President?

So what was the magic thing/action on his part that prompted the Dems to select him to run for office?

Please do not tell me it was on race only. Please do not tell me that in order to get a Dem as President they figured let's nominate a woman and a black.

The same intellect, wit and charm that drew the American people to elect him. Are not Democrats a sub set of the American people? Would intelligence and logic not dictate that the same preferences might and did exisit within each group? Are you suggesting that Democrats are not of the same bloodlines as Americans and thus are programmed with a different DNA that would cause them to think differently? This might have been a valid question prior to the election but since the American people came to the same conclusion what validity does the question have as phrased? had Obama lost badly your question might have merit but since the American people elected him by a wider margin then the Democrats voted for him what are you asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

What I am asking is before his campaign. There is a slew of people the Dems could have selected to run for office - what made him stand out in the crowd?

Was he just a likeable person or did he do something to stand out and bring attention to himself? Was there some bill he pushed or ???

Why are some people on this post so touchy about this question? Not saying you are Ovcotto - thank you for the sincere reply.

Last edited by vec101; 12-29-2008 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,851,819 times
I see you are wondering what it is that made the Democrats so intuitively brilliant to select him while the Republicans fell flat in their use of data and reality and saw their future in McCain. For me it was that the Democrats had more exposure to him earlier and were able to bring him into their fold in anticipation of this moment in time when the American People in a whopping fashion said YES WE WILL.

We can only hope that the Democrats as they govern are once again as bright and forward looking as they were with targeting Obama and that the Republicans learn from their mistakes and become more forward thinking and develop a greater read of the American pulse. Thus from my two posts to answer your question. What did the Democrats see in Obama:
Intelligence
Wit
The ability to see the big picture
The antithesis of Bush=Change
Pragmatism
Diverse enought for all ethnicities to see themselves in him
The ability to actually win the White House for once

How did the Democrats see it:
Finger on the pulse of the American People
Forward Thinking
Not Republicans
Intelligence
Agents of Change
Hunger to actually win this time

Hope this answers what is obvious for you and you can't say I didn't answer your question.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 AM

So it was on personally not on any specific action.
Which is fine, if one sees a person that possess leadership abilities, etc. I can certainly see where people would support such a person for a leadership role.

I just wanted to know if there was some specific action that brought him to the attention of the Dem party - like I said, a bill proposed, voting record, something.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:14 AM

1,992 posts, read 3,733,547 times
Quote:

60 Minutes did a segment on the entire history of his running for president last night (December 28). I would have to say, after watching it, that he was selected because of his own tenacity, his own plan, and his intelligence in executing his plan. The segment reminded me of how he was not expected to win many of the states that he won in the primary. Edwards and Clinton were considered by everyone to be the front runners. I think he won through hard work, a great plan, and intellect. One of the smartest things he did was to energize young voters early on and get them to vote for him during the primaries. It was an amazing documentary. Get a copy and watch it if you can. Seeing how well he orchestrated his election makes me confident in his ability as a leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or