U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:38 AM

2,150 posts, read 2,306,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
And, at the risk of drawing fire from everyone, I think it is time for us to reduce our military presence in nations such as Germany, France, England. I think one reason that Japan and Germany have been able to move ahead of us economically since World War II is that they have had to spend very little on defense because we are there. We cannot continue to defend and protect the entire world. I favor protecting ourselves, and letting these other guys fend for themselves. I realize that this is not possible due to treaties and historical entanglements, but it would be great if we could begin to cut back in those areas. The BRAC commission has considered it, but it has not really happened.
I don't think you are going to draw fire from hardly anyone...

Most people I speak with have been fed up for years of us being the world's policeman... Our problem is we prop up struggling nations - and then never stop - even long after the need for help has expired...

We should not be in any European countries any longer - period... Maybe we need a tripwire presence in South Korea - but I'm not even sure about that... And we definitely don't need to be in Japan...

And most of all - we do not and should not be in Iraq!!! Get our troops out of there and let history take the inevitable course that it is going to anyhow - no matter how long we stay there... Iraq is eventually going to splinter into 3 separate states.

I think we could EASILY bring back at least 50% of our troops from overseas without any international problems...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,502,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
All very good ideas (except for the tv thing - NFL playoffs start next weekend!!)...

Paying down bills is a good idea...

How about stop treating your home as a 'get rich quick' investment and start treating it like a home...

And don't think your home is an ATM either... Only take out loans that your salary can cover.

Great suggestions. I'm a pretty conservative person but we have to hope and pray for the new President to be successful.

No, I won't agree with everything he does but I really do think that he has our best interests at heart and we need to stand behind him.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:06 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,279,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Write, call and e-mail your elected officials urging them to support his legislative initiatives (such as his Public Works Program, and Orderly Drawdown in Iraq)"

That's should be first and foremost.
We need to put together something like an Obama Nation where we can collectively call our rep at the drop of a hat when President Obama needs our help. The conservatives have this- it is called "talk radio" and they used it very effectively to kill or pass legislation (see Immigration Reform).
We need something similar- like email or text alerts so we can contact our reps and tell them to do what the President needs done and not allow the Republicans to obstruct him.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:15 AM

4,176 posts, read 5,472,279 times
Whether you agree with the stimulus package or not, Congress needs to debate it very carefully and make the public aware of what is being proposed before it's even voted on. The TARP, for example, was shoved down our throats and it could have been better thought out. For them to try to pass this $ 700 B stimulus willy nilly is unacceptable. Whether it's passed in late Jan or early March, for example, is not that important. Four to six weeks is not going to make a big difference. They used a false sense of urgency to ramrod Congress into passing the TARP. That's the worst thing they can do with this package.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM

I thought of another thing we can all do to help Obama succeed...

Vote against any Republican Senators in the 2010 mid-term election...

Old 12-31-2008, 12:57 PM

Let's just elect Democrats to every single position.

Didn't they try that in NY? How'd it work out???

Old 12-31-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Let's just elect Democrats to every single position.

Didn't they try that in NY? How'd it work out???
A HECK of a lot better than in a Red State like West Virginia!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 PM

5,427 posts, read 6,882,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
A HECK of a lot better than in a Red State like West Virginia!!!
NY gov proposes flat budget to fill $15B deficit - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/12/16/ap5828919.html - broken link)

I'm a NYer, and it hasn't worked out too well. We are in a pretty bad mess budget wise. First the politicians spent blindly and then we wound up with a blind guy leading us
Add Caroline Kennedy as the Dems' version of Palin trying to get Clinton's senate seat, and yeah, we're pretty F'd!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 PM

It's not just NY state. It's many other states including NJ, MI, CA, MA and WA. Not to mention cities.

Look at IL, Obama's home state. Besides the Blago scandal, the state is facing a massive budget deficit and Chicago (Obama's home city) has the highest sales tax in the nation. All they do in Chicago is raise taxes, or institute new or increased fees on things. You even have to pay a bit extra for bottles soft drinks and bottled water. Chicago also has some of the worse public schools and Obama's Education Secretary is the current CEO of Chicago Public Schools. They should lead the nation in the number of homicides this year, despite having roughly 1 million less people than LA and 5.5-6 million less people than NYC.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:16 PM

365 posts, read 472,456 times
Through Love, Prayers, and Support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or