Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,343 times

Advertisements

January 20th will be here before we know it (thank God!) and the Obama administration will soon begin...

He is surely being left a number of very serious problems to deal with by Dubya - but I am positive that he is the best person in the country to deal with them...

Things we can all do to help him:

Write, call and e-mail your elected officials urging them to support his legislative initiatives (such as his Public Works Program, and Orderly Drawdown in Iraq)

Write Obama and let him know how you think he is doing... his staff would appreciate constructive criticism.

Remain optimistic about the future... Even though we are in a very tough economic time- which will most likely get even worse before light is seen at the end of the tunnel - don't despair and start criticizing the man... It took 28 years for our economic problems to develope to this monumental proportion - it will take more than a few years to turn things around...

Read about what Obama and his supporters in Congress are doing and proposing - and make your voice heard by calling and writing your elected officials... I subscribe to a newsletter from Sen Bernie Sanders (I) of Vermont - and I do not live in Vermont - because I like what he stands for - and I write him and tell him that... Here is a link to his newsletter - he really is on the side of the working American: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders

Engage Obama Bashers in constructive debate... Don't let them have a free ride on Obama's coattails of success while they do nothing but complain...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
"Write, call and e-mail your elected officials urging them to support his legislative initiatives (such as his Public Works Program, and Orderly Drawdown in Iraq)"

That's should be first and foremost.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:35 AM

Do visit Sen. Sanders website - and listen to some of the Audio/Video links on the right....

His heart is in the right place - not sure how much of what he wants will be enacted - but anything is better than nothing.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:51 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
At home, pay off the bills and cut up the credit cards. Make time to be with the kids. Buy American. Take a class for the joy of learning something, not to get "ahead" at work. Stop complaining. Say no to drugs. Throw away your TV. Clean your room. Wipe your feet.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
At home, pay off the bills and cut up the credit cards. Make time to be with the kids. Buy American. Take a class for the joy of learning something, not to get "ahead" at work. Stop complaining. Say no to drugs. Throw away your TV. Clean your room. Wipe your feet.
All very good ideas (except for the tv thing - NFL playoffs start next weekend!!)...

Paying down bills is a good idea...

How about stop treating your home as a 'get rich quick' investment and start treating it like a home...

And don't think your home is an ATM either... Only take out loans that your salary can cover.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Stop consuming. Stop reading the news. Move away. Recognize advertising victims. Recognize uniforms. Recognize who is a (witting or unwitting) guard dog of the various artificial status quos. I'm serious about that room.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Stop consuming. Stop reading the news. Move away. Recognize advertising victims. Recognize uniforms. Recognize who is a (witting or unwitting) guard dog of the various artificial status quos. I'm serious about that room.
Delusianne,

If people stop consuming - we will go into a depression. We are a consumption driven economy - for better or worse (I think worse)...

I think it is better to say that people should not spend beyond their means - and use credit wisely and sparingly.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Delusianne,

If people stop consuming - we will go into a depression. We are a consumption driven economy - for better or worse (I think worse)...

I think it is better to say that people should not spend beyond their means - and use credit wisely and sparingly.
people like obama because they think he is going to bail this country out. it is mostly out of his hands now because it really depends on whether japan, china, or the mideast cash out their treasuries or not. people have every right to save their money and prepare themselves. now is not the time to be saddled with a lot of debt! hang onto cash if you can!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
I agree. People are putting way too much trust and confidence in Obama and the Government. They can not fix the Economy. Instead of focusing on decreased spendingg, they want to borrow and spend more (which helped us get to this stage in the first place). It won't work and the dollar index will plummet by the end of Obama's first term.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:23 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
We can help Obama by not criticizing every move the man makes when he comes into office. He's becoming President at probably the worst time in over 50 years. He has problems on ALL fronts, and a news media that records every move he makes (poor guy can't even take a vacation!)

He was not my candidate of choice, but I have a lot of confidence in the fact that he really wants to do a good job, and has surrounded himself with a very good group of advisors. Let's face it, he's going to be handed a mess, nationally and internationally. I'm not a praying person, but any of you out there who are should definitely put him on your prayer list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections