Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times

Advertisements

I think it will be either Richardson or Clinton on the democratic side.

I think it will be McCain on the republicn side.

Guilliani just seems way to socially different to get past the southern state primaries because alot of those states are much more socially conservative then Gulliani is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 04:56 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Republican- Gingrich

Democrat- Gore

Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I think it will be either Richardson or Clinton on the democratic side.

I think it will be McCain on the republicn side.

Guilliani just seems way to socially different to get past the southern state primaries because alot of those states are much more socially conservative then Gulliani is.
Yeah, but they also want to win. Giuliani is their only hope to get the swing votes. If they trot out McCain, get used to saying "President Clinton" again.

As we said in another thread, McCain is just Bush hooked on phonics. We don't need another freakshow like that running the country.

-TT

Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
i think that Guliani will fizzle out like o blama will. he is way too socially liberal and his days as hero of 911 will take his just so far. I think that McCain needs to speak up more on his beliefs, stop trying to cater to the needs of democrats and stand up for traditional values.

I like Brownback but he hasnt a chance and the jury is out for me on Romney--I am a Religious Right Christian, and right wing Conservative political person and I dont have a problem per se with his mormanism(I know it is not true Christianity but we have had others like Nixon and Kennedy as well and it didnt end the world).

Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
I think it will be McCain/Giuliani vs. Clinton/Obama.

Mc Cain will need Giuliani to bring in moderate voters as well as those who still feel some understandable sentiment about 9/11.

Clinton will need Obama to help soften her image as well as bring in voters who might be interested in making history twice with one vote.

Edwards is stumbling out of the gate already. He's essentially running for Secretary of Labor at this point.

Richardson won't be able to raise enough money. He might get tapped by Clinton for VP though if her primary battles with Obama become too bitter. He would attract Hispanic votes, I would think.

Brownback would sooner become president of Liberty University.

Romney is the new John Kerry. If McCain and Co. don't roast him in the primaries for his flip-flopping (while subtly hinting at his "extreme" Mormonism) then the Dems certainly will.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I think it will be McCain/Giuliani vs. Clinton/Obama.

Mc Cain will need Giuliani to bring in moderate voters as well as those who still feel some understandable sentiment about 9/11.

Clinton will need Obama to help soften her image as well as bring in voters who might be interested in making history twice with one vote.

Edwards is stumbling out of the gate already. He's essentially running for Secretary of Labor at this point.

Richardson won't be able to raise enough money. He might get tapped by Clinton for VP though if her primary battles with Obama become too bitter. He would attract Hispanic votes, I would think.

Brownback would sooner become president of Liberty University.

Romney is the new John Kerry. If McCain and Co. don't roast him in the primaries for his flip-flopping (while subtly hinting at his "extreme" Mormonism) then the Dems certainly will.
Giuliani will not get my vote if he's playing second banana.

Either Rudy or Hillary, nothing in between. I despise McCain.

-TT

Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Republican- Gingrich

Democrat- Gore

You know...that wouldn't surprise me a lot either!

Somehow I think maybe Obama is running for VP and has a good chance of that with any of the Democrat candidates. I heard him speak yesterday and he is GOOD...also heard Hillary and she's not bad, just doesn't have the "umphhh" Obama does. I'm not sure why John Edwards seems to be losing ground -- I hardly ever see him anymore.

Heard the social conservatives seem to be more accepting of Guiliani now. He could be hard to beat if the Republicans come together on this one. McCain doesn't impress me much anymore.

IMO the campaigning started way too early. By next January, we're all going to want to see some new faces!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:10 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Republican- Gingrich

Democrat- Gore
You could very well be right mb, if either one of them entered the race they would instantly create alot of excitement in their respective partys. Newt would probably become the front runner for the GOP, and you know the rest of the dems would hate to see algore come in! As much as I would like to see him win I dont think Newt could survive the assault he would face in the general.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:24 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You could very well be right mb, if either one of them entered the race they would instantly create alot of excitement in their respective partys. Newt would probably become the front runner for the GOP, and you know the rest of the dems would hate to see algore come in! As much as I would like to see him win I dont think Newt could survive the assault he would face in the general.
I don't think the GOP base really likes any of the three front-runners right now- I get the distinct impression they are holding their noses and forcing themselves to like Rudy for the time being. I can definitely see Gingrich riding in like a knight on a white horse to rally the base.

Same thing, to an extent, for Democrats. Even though I'm merely a left-leaning independent as opposed to a Dem, none of the candidates on that side thrill me, personally. Clinton stands for Clinton, I think Obama is a little too DLC (Republican-lite) for many netroots/progressive types, and I can't stand how Edwards failed to stand up for his bloggers and took so long to respond to Coulter.

We shall see. Lots and lots of time left...

Old 03-05-2007, 10:51 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Default Is Obama really connected to the DLC?

Quote:
I don't think the GOP base really likes any of the three front-runners right now- I get the distinct impression they are holding their noses and forcing themselves to like Rudy for the time being. I can definitely see Gingrich riding in like a knight on a white horse to rally the base.

Same thing, to an extent, for Democrats. Even though I'm merely a left-leaning independent as opposed to a Dem, none of the candidates on that side thrill me, personally. Clinton stands for Clinton, I think Obama is a little too DLC (Republican-lite) for many netroots/progressive types, and I can't stand how Edwards failed to stand up for his bloggers and took so long to respond to Coulter.

We shall see. Lots and lots of time left...
From his speeches he seems to be significantly left of Hillary and about on the same plane as Edwards politically.

On a more worldwide scale it seems like Kucinich would be the only true leftist, he won't get any votes though (although I wouldn't mind his being president), Obama and Edwards seem like the next in line with Clinton falling in the center, not sure where Gore would be... maybe I'm getting things confused here? Isn't Obama like a pro-union, pro-universal health care, New Deal kinda guy? Or is that just rhetoric? What are his right-wing views?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections