U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:02 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,950,620 times

Advertisements

And so ends another thread....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 AM

2,150 posts, read 2,302,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no succession for VP. When Kennedy died, Lyndon Johnson became pres. and there was no VP.

Katiana,

Thanks for this info - it never occurred to me that Johnson never selected a VP - I was actually shocked... I was only 8 at the time Johnson was sworn in - and politics didn't exist in my world (I was actually mad that Wonderama was cancelled that Sunday!!)..

I knew that Hubert Humphrey was his VP from '65-'68, but I could never recall who he picked in '63... I looked it up on this site just to make sure I wasn't seeing things on your post: US Presidents and Vice Presidents list

Actually, that was very irresponsible of Johnson - I thought there HAD to be a VP selection within a certain amount of time... If anything had happened to Johnson, then the speaker of the house would have assumed office - so the country would not have been rudderless. But it's still irresponsible to NOT have a VP...

Learn something new every day!!!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 AM

86,804 posts, read 102,087,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Katiana,

Thanks for this info - it never occurred to me that Johnson never selected a VP - I was actually shocked... I was only 8 at the time Johnson was sworn in - and politics didn't exist in my world (I was actually mad that Wonderama was cancelled that Sunday!!)..

I knew that Hubert Humphrey was his VP from '65-'68, but I could never recall who he picked in '63... I looked it up on this site just to make sure I wasn't seeing things on your post: US Presidents and Vice Presidents list

Actually, that was very irresponsible of Johnson - I thought there HAD to be a VP selection within a certain amount of time... If anything had happened to Johnson, then the speaker of the house would have assumed office - so the country would not have been rudderless. But it's still irresponsible to NOT have a VP...

Learn something new every day!!!
I don't think the 25th Amendment had been passed then. I don't think he could have picked a VP.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:20 AM

1,992 posts, read 3,724,656 times
Quote:
I don't think the 25th Amendment had been passed then. I don't think he could have picked a VP.
That may be correct. I remember that time, and I think the presidential secession in the 25th amendment was a result of the Kennedy assasination. But I may not remember right, and I am too lazy to Google all of that....

Old 01-01-2009, 07:00 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,248,471 times
Quote:
If for some reason (I, too, am aghast at the idea of even discussing the "a" word) Joe Biden were to succeed Obama as president, at first there would be no vice president. There is no succession for VP. When Kennedy died, Lyndon Johnson became pres. and there was no VP.
Lyndon B. Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under the 25th Amendment to the constitution, when there is a vice presidential vacancy, the president selects a VP.

Vice President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Section 2 of the 25th Amendment provides that "Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress." Gerald Ford was the first Vice President selected by this method, after the resignation of Vice President Spiro Agnew in 1973; after succeeding to the Presidency, Ford nominated Nelson Rockefeller as Vice President."
Thanks!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 PM

2,180 posts, read 3,249,588 times
  • The office of Vice President was left vacant sixteen times due to the death of the President or the death or resignation of the Vice President. This was made glaringly evident with President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963.
All of these incidents, particularly Kennedy's assassination, made it evident that clearer guidelines were needed. The Twenty-fifth Amendment was proposed in the Senate by Senator Birch Bayh on January 6, 1965 and in the House of Representatives by Representative Emanuel Celler on July 6, 1965.

On February 19 the Senate passed the amendment by a 72-0 vote. The House passed a different version of the amendment on April 13 by a 368-29 margin. After a conference committee ironed out differences between the versions, on July 6 the final version of the amendment was passed by both Houses of the Congress and presented to the states for ratification.

Just six days after its submission, Wisconsin and Nebraska were the first states to ratify the amendment. On February 10, 1967, Minnesota and Nevada were the 37th and 38th states to ratify. On February 23, 1967, in a ceremony in the East Room of the White House, General Services Administrator Lawson Knott certified the amendment's adoption.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:08 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,248,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
  • The office of Vice President was left vacant sixteen times due to the death of the President or the death or resignation of the Vice President. This was made glaringly evident with President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963.
All of these incidents, particularly Kennedy's assassination, made it evident that clearer guidelines were needed. The Twenty-fifth Amendment was proposed in the Senate by Senator Birch Bayh on January 6, 1965 and in the House of Representatives by Representative Emanuel Celler on July 6, 1965.

On February 19 the Senate passed the amendment by a 72-0 vote. The House passed a different version of the amendment on April 13 by a 368-29 margin. After a conference committee ironed out differences between the versions, on July 6 the final version of the amendment was passed by both Houses of the Congress and presented to the states for ratification.

Just six days after its submission, Wisconsin and Nebraska were the first states to ratify the amendment. On February 10, 1967, Minnesota and Nevada were the 37th and 38th states to ratify. On February 23, 1967, in a ceremony in the East Room of the White House, General Services Administrator Lawson Knott certified the amendment's adoption.

Thanks for that information.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:01 AM

4,893 posts, read 2,860,763 times
Yes, Biden would become president and Pelosi would be VP. I believe then the President Pro Tempore of the Senate would be speaker and Secretary of State would be President Pro Tempore. I think.

No. This has probably been cleared up already. I haven't read all the posts but the only thing that would happen is Biden would become President. The rest stay where they are

If Biden did want a VP his choice would have to be confirmed by the Senate as Nelson Rockefeller was when Ford picked him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or