U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 AM

6,162 posts, read 11,220,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
My white maleness has been good for me in my career. I did not have to push as hard or be as good as the minorities and women in my career field. (Of course, I WAS very good, in my humble opinion.)
Well, good for you, I guess. But you don't have to look very far to find white males who will tell you that they were just as good as another applicant, (and in their own opinion, possibly better) for a job or a promotion, but lost that job to a miniority because of a little policy called affirmative action. Of course, mentioning something like that in public will get you labeled a racist or a bigot, so people are afraid to mention it. But it's happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,035,059 times
I'm keep wondering what program resulted in all those incompetent white guys getting hired and promoted.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,530,486 times
Quote:
LOL--My wife has told me the same.

I believe we have crossed some sort of magic line. However, would we have elected a black man if he were like McCain in intellect, style, age, etc. and ran against McCain? In other words, would we elect a black man if all other things were equal? I think we have not reached racial parity that would allow that to happen. Obama was obviously more intelligent and ran a better campaign. He also was more articulate. As is often the case, the black man has to be better and smarter to be perceived as equal. When we cross that line, racism will finally be dead.

By the way, we have the same expectations of women in politics. Only the white male gets a pass. And I am a white male speaking from the perspective that I have. My white maleness has been good for me in my career. I did not have to push as hard or be as good as the minorities and women in my career field. (Of course, I WAS very good, in my humble opinion.)
Liked your post....good to see someone who can recognize what their advantage is.
I'm sure you are good in your job.

I always believed that women will only be equal, not when they can do what a man does(they can) but when they can be totally lousy in their job and still keep it...just like some men I've known....that's true equality

Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,530,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Well, good for you, I guess. But you don't have to look very far to find white males who will tell you that they were just as good as another applicant, (and in their own opinion, possibly better) for a job or a promotion, but lost that job to a miniority because of a little policy called affirmative action. Of course, mentioning something like that in public will get you labeled a racist or a bigot, so people are afraid to mention it. But it's happened.
Yup, when the shoe's on the other foot it sometimes pinches.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:57 AM

31,385 posts, read 32,035,059 times
Quote:
I've always said that when a black person or a woman earns the right to be as mediocre as the next guy, then, and only then will America reach true equality.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,875,071 times
1 out of 36 doesn't seem like such a big deal. Ya think?

Not at all, especially considering that in 2008 whites were not only full citizens and had the vote but also comprised a majority of the voters

Although Obama's accomplishment is a big deal. We are in historic times

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM

51 posts, read 63,434 times
Default 93% black voters

Quote:

I believe we have crossed some sort of magic line. However, would we have elected a black man if he were like McCain in intellect, style, age, etc. and ran against McCain? In other words, would we elect a black man if all other things were equal? I think we have not reached racial parity that would allow that to happen. Obama was obviously more intelligent and ran a better campaign. He also was more articulate. As is often the case, the black man has to be better and smarter to be perceived as equal. When we cross that line, racism will finally be dead.

By the way, we have the same expectations of women in politics. Only the white male gets a pass. And I am a white male speaking from the perspective that I have. My white maleness has been good for me in my career. I did not have to push as hard or be as good as the minorities and women in my career field. (Of course, I WAS very good, in my humble opinion.)
93% of black voters voted Obama...WHO ARE THE REAL RACISTS NOW?
I remember from being about 6 yrs old blacks in my neighborhood (nr Sacramento CA) were quick to anger and quick to accuse. I was very homogenized in my thinking even then. I judged a person by their ethics and honesty.
Blacks today have many privileges that whites do not INCLUDING ADMISSIONS TO UNIVERSITIES LIKE HARVARD!! They are even catered to.

On the other hand the outcome of this election had legal aliens- non citizen = illegal voters HISTORICAL RECORD OF FRAUD IN THIS ELECTION.
200,000 provisional ballots in Ohio -MOST OF WHICH HAD NO ID WHATSOEVER? I did not have to show an ID to vote in CA.
THIS COUNTRY IS IN DEEP CR-P CORRUPTION!

Point being THE OUTCOME OF THIS ELECTION IS FRAUD!

Neither do I agree that previous presidents were primarily elected for RACE!

Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM

5,027 posts, read 5,532,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstand View Post
The people who make statements like this.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:04 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,740,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newstand View Post
What a load of BS.
More than 90 percent of black voters preferred Al Gore to Bush in 2000 - I guess Al Gore was black too eh?
The fact is, blacks ALWAYS vote overwhelmingly for Democrats - whether the candidate is black OR white.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or