U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Noc

1,439 posts, read 1,802,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Did the economy not fail under the Democratic congress? Was it just an illusion?
The truth unfolded under the Democratic congress. Please don't make it seem like the Democrats caused this train wreck. The Democrats just so happened to board the train the stop before the wreck. The Republicans rode care free with no oversight and no regulation for years.

The Economy failed when Wall St. decided to lie, cheat and steal knowing no one was watching.

Last edited by Noc; 01-05-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 AM

5,396 posts, read 7,061,130 times
Quote:
Did the economy not fail under the Democratic congress? Was it just an illusion?
Please point out specifically what it was that the Democratic congress did that led to the economic collapse.

That's what I thought.

Just like termites in a house, this was all coming from a long way off. I don't blame Bush completely but I would say his reaction has been par for the course for his Presidency, which is to be completely ineffective and pretend it never happened. Being the "Decider" means you have to hold some accountability for the State of the Union besides getting to play the Sheriff in your own little spaghetti Western.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:31 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,628,729 times
Quote:
I dont remember the first six years being terrible. I remember a blooming housing market, people increasing their earnings by an average of $1,100 per year, a prosperous car industry, , the continuous creation of jobs, and a necessary war.................
Good points. It was just this last year that the bubble burst. I blame a lot of it on citizens getting greedy. Of course rather than accepting responsibility, it's become the US norm to point fingers.

Not saying Bush did everything right, but it is ridiculous to blame one man. Last I looked we do NOT live in a dictatorship.

As to the war, I HATE war and never agree with it but.... the American people were screaming for the US to go over there and kick b*tt after 9/11. Howeer, everyone just wanted to go over there, have a quick win, and it be over and done. Surprise! Doesn't work that way in a region that has been fighting for hundreds (thousand??) years.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,628,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
I like how everyone on city-data is a financial expert. You're all full of crap. Stop pretending like you have a clue who is responsible other than everyone in government. Watching videos on youtube doesn't make you an expert.
You rock!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,129,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Good points. It was just this last year that the bubble burst. I blame a lot of it on citizens getting greedy. Of course rather than accepting responsibility, it's become the US norm to point fingers.

Not saying Bush did everything right, but it is ridiculous to blame one man. Last I looked we do NOT live in a dictatorship.

As to the war, I HATE war and never agree with it but.... the American people were screaming for the US to go over there and kick b*tt after 9/11. Howeer, everyone just wanted to go over there, have a quick win, and it be over and done. Surprise! Doesn't work that way in a region that has been fighting for hundreds (thousand??) years.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,339,173 times
After 8 years, how slow do you have to be to point it?

Regardless, anybody you vote for at the national level (and I am being kind here) has sold out to some one. EVERYBODY!. In the end, you just gotta hope the conglomerate who owns your candidate will keep/give you a job. Only fools believe blindly in ideology. Politicians are pragmatists.

Enough cynicism for today....

Last edited by GWhopper; 01-05-2009 at 11:28 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 PM

433 posts, read 837,977 times
Quote:

Why the media doesn't tell this. Excellent post.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 AM

5,396 posts, read 7,061,130 times
Quote:

Sorry, this is a ridiculous post. The American people were screaming for payback after 9/11. The Bush administration manipulated the American people's emotion to back his invasion, telling us that there were connections to 9/11, Al-qaeda being trained in Iraq, mushroom clouds in America if we did not act, yadda yadda yadda.

Of course it is the Commander in Chief's job to plan the mission including the exit strategy when planning something like an invasion of another country. The fact that Bush neglected to do any of this and ignored all of the intel about the region warning it would not be a simple insert/extract should not now be forgiven and swept under the rug.

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.” Texas Governor George W. Bush, April 9, 1999, on the US intervention in Kosovo

Old 01-06-2009, 10:25 AM

5,319 posts, read 7,842,824 times
Quote:

Once again ... these bad subprime loads were written back in 2004-2006 when Bush ("The Decider") and the Republican controlled Congress were asleep at the "financial" switch. Instead of providing government regulatory oversight of these financial companies, they allowed the banks to write loans to whomever they pleased.

Then approximately 2 years later, the subprime Adjustable Rate Mortgages began to reset to much higher interest rates, which only by pure coincidence, was when the Democrats took over Congress. People who couldn't afford the higher monthly payments began to walk away from their mortgages, and the entire foreclosure mess began.

Regarding war ... Americans wanted to go to war with Al Qaeda. It was Bush who turned it into a massive war against Iraq, a country which had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 AM

35,116 posts, read 19,203,402 times
Talking Liberals, your too quick to point the finger at Bush!

Quote:
I have heard so much Bush bashing on this increasingly liberal forum in the past few months, and I am just so tired of it. I do not know how you can blame ONE MAN for the economic collapse.

Do you blame Bush for ANY of the following?
  1. The Automakers who continued to make large, gas consuming cars even though they were well aware that gas would fluctuate rapidly in a time of war and a time of the green movement? How can Bush be to blame for these auto companies decisions?
  2. The banks who loaned money to people barely making minimum wage to buy a dream house or a new car. How is Bush at fault for this? If anything, it is the democrats who pushed for easier credit so that minorities could buy houses on risky loans; these are the houses that are being foreclosed on.
Bush is just ONE man, and over the past 3 years (when everything has gone array in our government) it was not the Republicans who had control, but rather the DEMOCRATS!!!!!!!!!!! The president has only had 33% of the control over the past 3 years, Democrats have had 67% of the control in our government. They have more power, they need more of the blame!

This president is getting way too much heat for the current situation, and the completely powerful Democrats are getting none of it. Pelosi/Reed and their crew is completely at blame for this, actually most of the blame rests on their faulty congress.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves! Not only do I sit here laughing at how ridiculous you all sound (as if you have never taken a political 101 course) because anyone would know that the power is split in 3 ways, and the Democrats have control of 2/3 of that. Its their fault!

I am pretty sure that Obama will not be a successful president. In a sense, we are passing the torch from one political moron (Bush) to another (Obama) because neither is the most qualified to lead anything.

Maybe one day, you guys will realize how little power the president actually has. Bush should not be blamed because some McDonald's worker walked into a bank and took out a million dollar loan for a house, but you guys are making it out to be as if he is.

Just give it a rest. You guys just look like mentally impaired political retards who have no clue how our government is run.

You're not even aware of this, but you're one very funny guy!

<whine>"Bush isn't responsible for his responsibilities"</whine>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or