Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will Obama start making major changes to improve things?
First 100 days 12 22.64%
In the 1st year 5 9.43%
1 - 2 years 2 3.77%
2 - 3 years 4 7.55%
4 years 2 3.77%
2nd Term (if re-elected) 4 7.55%
Never 24 45.28%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times

Advertisements

From what has been released, his decisions will make things worse. His economic recovery plan calls for the creation of 600,000 new GOVERNMENT jobs! Who has to keep paying the tab for these positions? The American taxpayer, of course. I agree that the size of the Government workforce should change by 600,000+, but it should be a reduction of that size. The plan has no mention of reduction in Capital Gains or Dividends taxes, FICA taxes or, most importantly, the corporate tax rate. I don't see why he refuses to cut corporate taxes, which did wonders for the economy of Ireland and others.

Each state with its hand out should send its Governor here to explain (in detail) how the state plans to use the money and what they will do to reduce spending, cut taxes and grow revenue moving forward. These states need to reduce spending and decrease the size of their workforce. If he goes overboard with environmental regulations and passes Employee Free Choice Act, that will compound the situation. In his defense, I think Obama will be firm in opposing many of the wishes of the more liberal members of Congress and the public. He has a good track record of using people when they benefit him and (in a polite way) distancing himself from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 01:52 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
He even told us that he wouldn't be able to keep any of his promises and that we would need to be re-elected.

I dont think he will accomplish anything. He didn't do any good for the people in Illinois when he was elected to the state legislature. He did absolutely nothing while in the senate. What are we to expect now?

Old 01-04-2009, 03:03 PM

One of the best ways for the Government to fix the economy is stay the hell out of it! Remember, it was Government that instituted and strengthened the Community Reinvestment Act and kept interest rates artificially low.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:29 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
He even told us that he wouldn't be able to keep any of his promises and that we would need to be re-elected.

I dont think he will accomplish anything. He didn't do any good for the people in Illinois when he was elected to the state legislature. He did absolutely nothing while in the senate. What are we to expect now?
Well at least he can't vote present anymore.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post

You nailed it right on the head!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
My question to everyone, is how long do you think it will take for Obama's administration to start making major steps in improving everything from the economy, foreign relations, energy dependence, etc.
I believe the major steps will begin on day 1. The changes will take time.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,538,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I believe the major steps will begin on day 1. The changes will take time.
just enough time to get back into office in 4 yrs, right?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Obama can't fix things he can only make the poain less. The economy is way too big and compl;aicted for a person to jsut"fix things". Most thngs will have to got ehu congress first of all before he sees anything.Then after things egt better it will be painful to pay for the record deficits that will be there to pay for.That is going to be a big hangover effect on the economy.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:28 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Obama can't fix things he can only make the poain less. The economy is way too big and compl;aicted for a person to jsut"fix things". Most thngs will have to got ehu congress first of all before he sees anything.Then after things egt better it will be painful to pay for the record deficits that will be there to pay for.That is going to be a big hangover effect on the economy.

Apparently most of those who answered the poll think the same thing. That he wont get anything done. I will at least give him and his administration the benefit of the doubt, they have an awful big mess to clean up, but if they can remain focused on what their goals are, hopefully something good will happen. Can it get much worse?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Apparently most of those who answered the poll think the same thing. That he wont get anything done. I will at least give him and his administration the benefit of the doubt, they have an awful big mess to clean up, but if they can remain focused on what their goals are, hopefully something good will happen. Can it get much worse?
Unfortunately, things can (almost) ALWAYS get worse! I think unemployment is around 6.5% nationally; that can go up significantly (10%+). The national debt and deficits can go up and the US Dollar index can decline. The equities and real estate markets can decline as well.

Look at the individual states; things can get a lot worse on that level as well.

For some reason, it seems many people think that things can only improve. Even if things eventually improve, it may be in light of Obama's policies not because of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections