U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:58 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,112,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Perhaps if you titled the topic with some remote attempt at accuracy, such as "Republican John Boehner 'worried' about deficit" instead of just lumping all Repubilcans together in a drive by hit piece, you might actually encourage some meaningful dialog.

Heck, not only are there some Republicans concerned about the growing deficit, I'm willing to bet there are even a few Democrats who are also concerned. In Boehner's case, it is a joke, but then again Boehner isn't "all" Republicans.

I'm sure most Republicans are worried about the deficit because most Americans are worried about the deficit. Unfortunately for the country, the Bush Administration has wiped out Republican credibility as surely as he wiped out the budget surplus. It will be a long, long time before any Republican politician will be believed again by the American people, except perhaps on a local issue. It is their own fault too. They should have spoken out against Bush a long time before they did. The legendary Republican solidarity has been their undoing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 5,469,499 times
One thing that can accelerate the Republicans gaining credibility would be for the Democrats to go on a spending spree that the Republicans on the Hill firmly oppose. That already started with the Big 3 Bailout and is going to continue with the recovery package. Remember, the times change quickly in Politics. The Democrats are going to have to take the blame for what happens in the economy moving forward (both good and bad). If the economy improves, they get credit but also get blame for increasing the deficit and debt. They're in a tough spot.
In addition, some members of the National Security team are seen as weaker than the same people in the current Administration. Holder, Napolitano and Panetta are seen as less tough than the people currently filling those respective posts. If our security is not maintained, the Obama administration will take a big hit and appointments such as these will be questioned.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:12 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,657,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatchance2005 View Post
I'm sure most Republicans are worried about the deficit because most Americans are worried about the deficit. Unfortunately for the country, the Bush Administration has wiped out Republican credibility as surely as he wiped out the budget surplus. It will be a long, long time before any Republican politician will be believed again by the American people, except perhaps on a local issue. It is their own fault too. They should have spoken out against Bush a long time before they did. The legendary Republican solidarity has been their undoing!
I do not deny a word of this. In fact I share the sentiments that Bush and his administration has done more damage to the Republican brand name than Democrats or Liberals could have ever did. When they had majority rule across the board, they squandered their position with character assassinations, virulent and divisive dialog and even cut the throats of their own kind who were more moderate like Chuck Hagel or more conservative like Ron Paul. Republicans have no one to blame but themselves for the situation they are in.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,533,299 times
Ummm... I have no argument with the fact that Bush's administration has put our country into a huge deficit. And who cares if the Republicans are now vocalizing their concerns... but this stimulus package which Obama's aides say could end up costing as much as $775 billion dollars. So it's just adding a large amount of debt on top of what we are already in the hole for? And why rush into passing this stimulus package? Are we all absolutely positive that it's going to work?

And I am still astounded that Obama spent $600 million for his presidential campaign run. So I know for sure is that Obama knows how to spent large amounts of money, but was becoming president worth the $600 million price tag? And what about future presidential election runs?

Obama urges Congress to pass stimulus plan - White House transition- msnbc.com

Old 01-06-2009, 04:02 PM

2,665 posts, read 3,408,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And I am still astounded that Obama spent $600 million for his presidential campaign run.
And the post above is worried about the republican name brand. $600 million! If real America believed the hysteria presented here he could've won with $6.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or