Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:14 PM

932 posts, read 1,675,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I look at it like we're all a bunch of people riding on a bus, and we've chosen one person to be the bus driver. It's ok to speak up. After all, the bus driver wants you to tell him certain stops are important.

But it is not ok for people to start grabbing the steering wheel. It is not ok to pull on the arms of the driver. And if everyone tries to be a "backseat driver" you're bound to go off the road completely and end up in a ditch. The bottom line is, if you want to get to your destination you have to chill out and let the driver drive.

And the other bottom line is, if you just can't resist wanting to drive, you should run for office. If you really want to be the bus driver, go out and get the job yourself.
You said it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 01:14 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,139,419 times
Lincoln said, "You can't please all of the people all of the time. You can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time." The quote may not be exactly correct because I am too lazy to look it up, but I believe it was attributed to Lincoln. Obama's job is not to please all of the people all of the time. That cannot be done. Good article. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:42 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,893,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
You said it!
Thanks! And I said it as one who has had experience driving a bus. I have very little patience for back seat drivers, and I have been known to stop the bus and ask people to get off if they pester me enough that it interferes with my driving.

I especially have no patience for little children who try to bully the bus driver by saying "my parents pay taxes and that means you work for me." Boy, I really don't like that attitude--and guess what, it doesn't work on a school bus, or with a POTUS, or anywhere else in this world.

So sorry, but that's just not how the world works. Pull that attitude on me when I'm driving the bus and I'll be tolerant up to a point. Push it too far and you're walking home. And if a kid tries to make a stink about it they find out the hard way that the school board backs the driver. That's life, kiddies.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,117,192 times
To the scared little obeyers, the "please keep in (goose)step", the "we will be taken care of by our god whatever or whoever he is", "don't make us uncomfortable, we're scared enough".....

""As America sinks deeper and deeper into corporate greed will this country continue to be a democracy by the people and for the people or will it be ruled by the few? Will the trinity of money, power and greed over come one of the greatest countries in the world? Only we, the people, can keep it free. SPEAK OUT AND LET YOUR THOUGHTS BE KNOWN...ONLY BY SILENCE WILL WE BE DEFEATED!

"What no one seemed to notice. . . was the ever widening gap. . .between the government and the people. . . And it became always wider. . . the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting, it provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway . . . (it) gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about . . .and kept us so busy with continuous changes and 'crises' and so fascinated . . . by the machinations of the 'national enemies,' without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. . .
Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures'. . . must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. . . .Each act. . . is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join you in resisting somehow.
You don't want to act, or even talk, alone. . . you don't want to 'go out of your way to make trouble.' . . .But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That's the difficulty. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves, when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. . . .You have accepted things you would not have accepted five years ago, a year ago, things your father. . . could never have imagined." :
From Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free, The Germans, 1938-45 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1955)

You must've loved Bush, he loved dictatorships as long as he was dictator.....need someone to care for you , tell you what to do, too afraid to speak out...want to keep opposition quiet???....what a great bunch of Fascists and then that one racist/Fascist....or are all you Fascists racist?

Old 01-06-2009, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks! And I said it as one who has had experience driving a bus. I have very little patience for back seat drivers, and I have been known to stop the bus and ask people to get off if they pester me enough that it interferes with my driving.

I especially have no patience for little children who try to bully the bus driver by saying "my parents pay taxes and that means you work for me." Boy, I really don't like that attitude--and guess what, it doesn't work on a school bus, or with a POTUS, or anywhere else in this world.

So sorry, but that's just not how the world works. Pull that attitude on me when I'm driving the bus and I'll be tolerant up to a point. Push it too far and you're walking home. And if a kid tries to make a stink about it they find out the hard way that the school board backs the driver. That's life, kiddies.
You'd make a great dictator!!! They are all just control freaks. Control little children! WOW! Aren't you tough!!! maybe YOU should run for dictator of the U.S.??? Silence any opposition! Rule with an iron fist! I AM impressed!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 AM

As to the "tough bus driver" analogy If I hired you , you'd drive how and where I wanted you to drive.

We have "hired" Obama . He is the employee of A L L Americans !

Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

We have "hired" Obama . He is the employee of A L L Americans !
Do you own any stock? If so, why don't you contact the CEO of that corporation, and tell him that since you bought a single share of that corporation's stock, he is now your employee. See how quickly he laughs in your face.

Trying telling the CEO that your single stock means you have the all the power now. He's your employee, damn it! And that means you have the right to tell him how to paint his office or demand that a particular person speak at the company banquet. Seriously, I hope you try this--it could be very educational for you.

I hate to break it to you, but you are never going to get anywhere with this particular attitude. Welcome to the real world.

(But don't lose your spirit. Your ideas are important and deserve to be heard--it's just this bullying belligerence that gets in your way.)

Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
maybe YOU should run for dictator of the U.S.???
Ummm, I don't believe they hold elections for positions like that...

Old 01-06-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
To the scared little obeyers, the "please keep in (goose)step", the "we will be taken care of by our god whatever or whoever he is", "don't make us uncomfortable, we're scared enough".....

""As America sinks deeper and deeper into corporate greed will this country continue to be a democracy by the people and for the people or will it be ruled by the few? Will the trinity of money, power and greed over come one of the greatest countries in the world? Only we, the people, can keep it free. SPEAK OUT AND LET YOUR THOUGHTS BE KNOWN...ONLY BY SILENCE WILL WE BE DEFEATED!

"What no one seemed to notice. . . was the ever widening gap. . .between the government and the people. . . And it became always wider. . . the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting, it provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway . . . (it) gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about . . .and kept us so busy with continuous changes and 'crises' and so fascinated . . . by the machinations of the 'national enemies,' without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. . .
Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures'. . . must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. . . .Each act. . . is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join you in resisting somehow.
You don't want to act, or even talk, alone. . . you don't want to 'go out of your way to make trouble.' . . .But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That's the difficulty. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves, when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. . . .You have accepted things you would not have accepted five years ago, a year ago, things your father. . . could never have imagined." :
From Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free, The Germans, 1938-45 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1955)

You must've loved Bush, he loved dictatorships as long as he was dictator.....need someone to care for you , tell you what to do, too afraid to speak out...want to keep opposition quiet???....what a great bunch of Fascists and then that one racist/Fascist....or are all you Fascists racist?
Nice display of anger, but I wonder if it really accomplishes anything? Have you actually been able to influence policies or legislation with all this ranting and raving?

I've been involved with local politics for a long time now--and yes, I've helped create both new policies and new laws. So I know from personal experience that if you really want things to change there's a lot you can do. But you're not going to get very far by screaming about facism, stomping your feet, making demands, or otherwise acting like a spoiled child.

Sooner or later, you have to make a decision: Do I really want to see things change? Or do I just want to impress your friends by making a lot of noise?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Nice display of anger, but I wonder if it really accomplishes anything? Have you actually been able to influence policies or legislation with all this ranting and raving?

I've been involved with local politics for a long time now--and yes, I've helped create both new policies and new laws. So I know from personal experience that if you really want things to change there's a lot you can do. But you're not going to get very far by screaming about facism, stomping your feet, making demands, or otherwise acting like a spoiled child.

Sooner or later, you have to make a decision: Do I really want to see things change? Or do I just want to impress your friends by making a lot of noise?
Your style is so predictable....start loosing an argument , get shown to be wrong , and right away the other poster is "angry", the name calling starts,THEIR posts are ranting and raving but YOURS aren't

I think you're just terribly embarrassed by your racist statements in another thread and just have a obsessive need to have the last word.
That's OK, I can see why....

so keep up your campaign to silence any opposition or anything you don't personally approve of....you won't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections