U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:10 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,103,220 times
Why does he want this seat so much and at 71 years old? The others who were offered the seat before him declined out of sheer propriety. They didn't want their nomination "tainted". Granted that his appointment was all around legal, why does he want it at all costs? I wouldn't want a position where even my constituents are against me. It's like coming in to work where you know you are not going to get support from your teammates from the get go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:49 PM

4,831 posts, read 4,168,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu101 View Post
It is kind of funny watching Keith Overbite and his polar opposites agreeing that the Senate had no legal leg to stand on for rejecting Burris. One of the guest legal pundits on MSNBC even said it has a much to do with tradition than anything else. He also said that no Senate rule allowed them to reject Burris rather it was the way they were choosing to interpret the rule to allow them in the case to reject him.

If this is not enough evidence to convince you guys of the ineptitude of your elected officials and how they are not to be trusted I don't know what it will take. Wake up people the patients are running the asylum and nobody seems to care.

On a side note Obama must be freaking out. This can't be what he was expecting, or was it beyond his comprehension, being so inexperienced?
I think Fox is going to enjoy the next 4 years if this is a sample of things to come, even Chris Matthews is having fun at Obama's expense. He was talking to one of his guest today about helping him expose on his show earmarks and pork that the Democrats might be tempted to run through the Congress and he was dead serious. Fun Fun Fun

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM

13,182 posts, read 7,689,675 times
The wingnuts so want this Burris affair to reflect poorly on Democrats so that they can get some traction again...LOL They just can't stop talking about it.
Crossing their fingers that blacks will revolt at Dems because of this.

But the public doesn't look at this as a partisan issue. They know Dems are doing everthing in their power to get rid of Blagovich.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The wingnuts so want this Burris affair to reflect poorly on Democrats so that they can get some traction again...LOL They just can't stop talking about it.
Crossing their fingers that blacks will revolt at Dems because of this.

But the public doesn't look at this as a partisan issue. They know Dems are doing everthing in their power to get rid of Blagovich.
It is not the wingnuts unless you include every major left leaning news outlet too. Well maybe you're right.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 PM

5,032 posts, read 3,689,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So the all white Democratic party senate denied entry of a black senator who was appointed legally by a sitting state governor? Hmmm, if it had been the Republican party I swear some of you would be screaming racist. But since it's the Democratic party there is no such cries of racism.
The words that describe this post are disallowed by the TOS. I haven't read something this far out of reality in a long time.

There have been many blacks under consideration for the seat. The Dems want nothing more than to seat a black. If Blagojevich hadn't happened, Burris would not have been turned away.

So your supposition is pure bull****. And I suspect you know it.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
The words that describe this post are disallowed by the TOS. I haven't read something this far out of reality in a long time.

There have been many blacks under consideration for the seat. The Dems want nothing more than to seat a black. If Blagojevich hadn't happened, Burris would not have been turned away.

At least let's be honest, if the foot was on the other shoe we all know what would be on everyone's mind, Republican=Racist. Sorry but there is no denying the truth.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM

13,182 posts, read 7,689,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Then he is sueing his way into the Senate???
That's exactly what's wrong with our country and politics....."If I can't have it .....I'll sue for it!"
Burris is setting a sad example for our children.
Reid doesnt' have a leg to stand on. He should and must follow the rule of law. Yes, Burris is wrong for having accepted the appointment from this crook but there is no law against this.

Dems need to follow the rule of law, otherwise how are they different from the Bush Administration??

Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,612,296 times
In fact, prior to Burris, Danny Davis (also African American) turned Blago down because he didn't want the stigma of being appointed by Blago, as anyone with a lick of sense would have.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Reid doesnt' have a leg to stand on. He should and must follow the rule of law. Yes, Burris is wrong for having accepted the appointment from this crook but there is no law against this.

Dems need to follow the rule of law, otherwise how are they different from the Bush Administration??

Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 PM

2,153 posts, read 3,502,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post

You say the words posted are disallowed but you posting "the Dems want nothing more than to seat a black" doesn't exactly sound great. Sounds like racial pandering to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections