U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:45 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,956,651 times

Advertisements

Obama being elected isn't going to be the end of racism.
There isn't going to be no climactic end to racism.

It's going to be phased out slowly over the generations. The younger generations are growing up in a more than ever integrated society.

People complain about "political correctness", but in the long run it's benefitting our society.
Racism and stereotypes aren't nearly as accepted as they used to be. People are careful not to appear as racist. And that has a positive impact on the children who grow up in a more tolerant atmosphere(albeit somewhat forced by societal pressures).

I'm optimistic that racism will fade even more after a few more generations pass. Still a lot of the good ol boys around. Still a lot of self segregation. But I think it'll change, eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 PM

6,640 posts, read 18,572,311 times
With the Inauguration over does that mean the NAACP is going to disband and stop singing "We shall overcome"?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 PM

787 posts, read 1,542,214 times
I watched the inauguration on youtube. There were many comments about how "whitey has had his day and will fade into history." Sounds like racism has a long way to go before it's extinct.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 PM

1,613 posts, read 2,371,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
With the Inauguration over does that mean the NAACP is going to disband and stop singing "We shall overcome"?
Probably not until the KKK disbands. Maybe they can both close their doors at the same time.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:36 AM

5,027 posts, read 5,519,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Don't get too cozy in your denial and believing the worst in people, as convenient as it may be; if he just won 'in spite of...', all those non-Blacks wouldn't have shown up--many from across the country--for the inauguration.
I don't understand your comment at all. Did I suggest that Obama didn't have a lot of white supporters? He fired up people of all walks of life and every race. My point was only that McCain had a lot more voters than the quality of his campaign and the failure of the GOP warranted.

And how am I in denial? - you're the one suggesting that racism isn't all that bad.

Please clarify.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:20 AM

956 posts, read 2,695,150 times
As far as I'm concerned, we're done with this notion that there need to be affirmative action programs and such. From this day on, in my opinion, affirmative action is just a shakedown and should not be regarded with any degree of legitimacy.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,248,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
As far as I'm concerned, we're done with this notion that there need to be affirmative action programs and such. From this day on, in my opinion, affirmative action is just a shakedown and should not be regarded with any degree of legitimacy.
I agree with you 100%.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 AM

229 posts, read 316,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
No not common sense just the people who have their hands out wanting that free money, free healthcare, free food, free housing, and anything else they can get for free!
I would not call anything free when I pay 25% of my paycheck in taxes every week. I would call this giving the people some of what they are paying for. Until the government stops spending our tax money on garbage and worthless programs, no one should be complaining about us getting what we pay for. Has anyone taken a look at the government's convoluted budget lately, or do we just speak out of feeling? I understand that we should not be wasting money, but there are far more wasteful items on the budget. Why does every politician need a limo? Why do we spend money on space research, war, and special interests and then complain about giving back to the people who fund all this ridiculous garbage?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 AM

5,027 posts, read 5,519,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
As far as I'm concerned, there are still tremendous barriers for people of color in this country. And I know that I have personally benefitted from the history of racism in this country.

From this day on, in my opinion, people who regard affirmative action as illegitimate are interested in maintaining racial advantages for whites.

(Before flaming: I'm being a bit facetious here. But the point remains that racism is still alive and well, whites still have a huge head start in education, jobs, housing, health care, etc., and we still need to work to fix those inequalities.)

Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,721,899 times
The issue with affirmative action is that you can't prove when a company or other institution is making choices based on race. It's a ***** to provide evidence, as it is with most racism nowadays....it ain't colored water fountains and what not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or