U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 06:22 PM

29,749 posts, read 34,791,238 times

Advertisements

McCain: GOP Must Work With Obama
Reverting to the role of Republican foil that made him an unpopular figure for many conservatives, John McCain argued on Friday that historical circumstances should compel his GOP colleagues to work closely with Barack Obama.

"There are not many times in history," he said, "that a president has come to office with as many challenges as the president-elect does and that's incumbent then upon all of us to try and do all we can to work with him."

He also called Obama's national security team "excellent," and saved special praise for CIA Director nominee Leon Panetta.

It was the type of interview that would make hard-core partisans shake their heads. Not because McCain was overly effusive in his praise -- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, after all, has said he expects a stimulus bill to pass with wide Republican support -- but because he didn't use the public forum to score any political points for his party.

And, sure enough, in Cavuto's next segment both he and Ann Coulter offered acid-dripped interpretations of the former Republican figurehead's message.

Kudos to Senator McCain who is getting much more positive press coverage then his former running mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:35 PM

16,514 posts, read 20,931,210 times
I agree Tuborg. Obama is stepping into the most gawdawful mess my generation has seen, without a doubt. McCain was honest, sincere, and came across well IMHO.

The media are screaming now about unemployment-wait until next spring and people start running out of unemployment benefits.

When you see the actions of Enron and these other creeps you think you have seen it all. And then along comes a guy like Madoff!

And then there is the Middle East situation. And an ungodly national debt. And on and on.

Senator McCain handled himself well.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I agree Tuborg. Obama is stepping into the most gawdawful mess my generation has seen, without a doubt. McCain was honest, sincere, and came across well IMHO.

The media are screaming now about unemployment-wait until next spring and people start running out of unemployment benefits.

When you see the actions of Enron and these other creeps you think you have seen it all. And then along comes a guy like Madoff!

And then there is the Middle East situation. And an ungodly national debt. And on and on.

Senator McCain handled himself well.
They would have been a great team to run for the White House

Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 PM

18,072 posts, read 10,100,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
They would have been a great team to run for the White House

They won't let me rep you, so what can I say but, "HEAR, HEAR!".

Old 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,745,128 times
Quote:
McCain: GOP Must Work With Obama
Reverting to the role of Republican foil that made him an unpopular figure for many conservatives, John McCain argued on Friday that historical circumstances should compel his GOP colleagues to work closely with Barack Obama.

"There are not many times in history," he said, "that a president has come to office with as many challenges as the president-elect does and that's incumbent then upon all of us to try and do all we can to work with him."

He also called Obama's national security team "excellent," and saved special praise for CIA Director nominee Leon Panetta.

It was the type of interview that would make hard-core partisans shake their heads. Not because McCain was overly effusive in his praise -- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, after all, has said he expects a stimulus bill to pass with wide Republican support -- but because he didn't use the public forum to score any political points for his party.

And, sure enough, in Cavuto's next segment both he and Ann Coulter offered acid-dripped interpretations of the former Republican figurehead's message.

Kudos to Senator McCain who is getting much more positive press coverage then his former running mate.
Well, as I've said before (many times) - I've always liked McCain - and this is the McCain (absent for a while) that made me feel that way about him.
Welcome back John.

Ken

Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, as I've said before (many times) - I've always liked McCain - and this is the McCain (absent for a while) that made me feel that way about him.
Welcome back John.

Ken
Even Georg B is sounding like the Bush of 2000 that was likable with good ideas and hopes. This is sorta like back to 2000 with Bush and McCain.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,793,312 times
Quote:

I didn't see Cavuto and Coulter--was one of their interpretations that McCain might be interested in the Secretary of Commerce job? That's something I've been wondering.

But whether he has a motive or not, I totally agree. Kudos to McCain for a good, and positive interview. Ms. Palin should take heed, his post campaign interviews are going to help his career (plus, it's a good example for her how professional and mature politicians should behave).

Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,851,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I didn't see Cavuto and Coulter--was one of their interpretations that McCain might be interested in the Secretary of Commerce job? That's something I've been wondering.
The problem with neocons is that they believe that unless it involves a "position", you can't speak highly of someone. It is these people who are dragging this country down, while professing themselves as patriots. But then, mental patients always try to convince the rest of the world that they are normal!

Kudos to McCain for being himself, again.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM

20,857 posts, read 39,095,620 times
Sounds like the old John McCain, the one I liked a LOT in 2000. I hope he switches parties, or at least votes with the DEMs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or