Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 AM

18,126 posts, read 15,517,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Nope, fine w/me. Just wondering why you post about something that seems to bug you. For instance, I don't post anything about Ann Coulter anymore because she annoys the crap out of me & it gets me nowhere.
Ah, yea, well I guess I look at it as a vent in a way. Things stay pretty civil (for the most part) on here and I'm not looking to change anyones views. Lol if that were the point of posting there would be a LOT of folks needing pain meds for headaches and valium just for blood pressure issues. I can't talk about Alan Colmbs just like you with Anne Coulter. LMAO the guy gives me a rash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 AM

715 posts, read 2,081,740 times
I dont think President Obama would appreciate a national day for him, let history (as in later, later) be the judge of that.

As for the "Hero" thing, i am neither Black or white but from a Minority point of view. Yes, in my eyes he is. Understand, being that Obama an African American, the odds were stacked against him. Even he himself admitted that he was the unlikeliest candidate.

Given the struggles i had as an Asian male living and growing in the streets of london (uk), I can only imagine the struggle he must have gone through to get to where he is at. And uk is not even close to the Open oppurtunities as it is here in America. He is a Beacon of hope for MANY people who are in the Minority camp, he has gone where no non-white has gone before.

He could be just the man to bridge the wrong doings of the past America, he could just be the man to tell fellow black men to step up to the plate and be responsible, to move on and not carry the chips on their shoulders anymore. He is a symbol of hope for many of non whites. Must you all belittle him because you simply dont see him how non white's see him??

So near yet so far!!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,287,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Shouldn't Barrack Obamas' inaugeration day be designated a national holiday? He is already a hero in my eyes. Look around and see how he has inspired us all and brought this country to its' feet again. Michelle is proud of america for the first time, and so are we. Jesse Jackson is crying tears of joy, and so are we. Ben and Jerry now have 'Yes Pecan' ice cream to comemorate our new leader.....that's good enough for me.
Let our voices be heard!!!

JANUARY 21ST. OBAMA DAY!!!!
The man is done jack to deserve any credit!
Christ, let's see if he is a man of his words
and is as smart as everyone things he is....
He is a a Jimmy Carter repeat!
Worst than Bush. Look at Carter's unemployment rate
under his administration.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:18 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,915,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
As for the "Hero" thing, i am neither Black or white but from a Minority point of view. Yes, in my eyes he is. Understand, being that Obama an African American, the odds were stacked against him. Even he himself admitted that he was the unlikeliest candidate.
That's really very funny. When he was running, everyone was told that his race was not an issue. Now it's suddenly a major issue. Aside from that, a politician admitted that he was the unlikely candidate? And you don't think that MAYBE that was done for a reason? It was like he decided to tell the country, "Look at me! I'm black and most of the people in this country will not want me! Don't be like those people!" Most people didn't care that he was black, but it wouldn't have done him any good for you to know that.

Are the odds once again stacked against black people in this country? I know that there was a time when they were. Then they did achieve equality, which is a good thing and it's something that never should have even been an issue. What happened to black people at one time was shameful, as were the horrible things that have happened to just about any other group of people you can name. But black people were not the world's first or only victims, and equality is no longer enough. They want payback. Oprah thinks you owe her something, and she's a billionaire.

You can imagine the struggles Obama has gone through? That's fine. People of all backgrounds have had their struggles, but most backgrounds don't unite to beat you over the head with them.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,287,463 times
Never consider Obama a hero!!!
He has never served!
Also he has no clue about military.
Great we have an president who is a
movie star and knows jack about
foreign relations. Biden is a drunk
will be no help. Love them DEMS.........

Old 01-20-2009, 03:08 AM

855 posts, read 2,388,925 times
Celebrity worship at its very finest.

Let's see all this "change" before we canonize the man. If he can get this country back on track or at the very least back in the right direction, he deserves all the praise that's already been heaped on him but until then he's just another elected official. He's no more worthy of a holiday or hero status than Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Eisenhower, et al when they were elected.

This isn't about a black president, it's about our president. His being black, in the grand scheme of things, is insignificant because if he turns out to be a failure this country's people, regardless of race, will be no better off then they are today and there is no guarantee that he will be successful in his endeavors just because his election is a "feel good" story.

Being elected president does not warrant hero status regardless of race, creed or color. What a president does while in office will define his legacy, not what he says he will do. If his election inspires some people to better themselves or do more with their lives, that is a positive but this country is in a state where everyone, not just some people, need to make strides to better themselves for the sake of this of the country.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,162,297 times
I saw him as the best of a bad choice of canditates but did not and do not "like" him.

So far, we've heard slogans and platitudes. So far we've heard "I will" with no details. So far he has not had to confront the hard and terrible reality which faces us today, ALL of us. Every canditate who wins had found the best of slogans do not always work and that they may have to take radical changes to their best promises. Obama will be no difference at all. Ask if he's still a hero a year from now and you'll get a much better answer.

Will he prosicute the war criminals who are leaving tomorrow and tortured in OUR name and who gave US a bad name in the world? Or will he glaze it over with more nice slogans and phrases? I for one will find it hard to respect someone who cannot take a stand of that kind.

Will his attempts to fix or slow the free fall of the economy have any effect, or will he acknowledge that they may not and very hard times could be ahead for all of us?

Will he disavow the whole issue of race. I'm tired of hearing how the whole issue of race is diminished by his election. With everyone (but Obama) spouting off about how he is the first black president, how does this say its hold is broken. Wouldn't that be when he was neither black nor white no anything else, just human? If it still matters that he's black then race had not died as a dividing line.

I prefer him to McCain for various reasons but see him as an unknown quantity. Don't call him a hero or drown in this fanatical cheer UNTIL we know what and if he can do. Actions in the end matter much much more than words.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:20 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,162,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
Nope not needed. BUT what we do need are EDUCATED people w/a mind of their own. Not a bunch of idiot sheep voting in the elections.
No, just educated and thinking, questioning and critical people with a mind of thier own making decision every day rather than just voting in the election. We need them at least outnumbering the sheeple.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:09 AM

540 posts, read 628,121 times
You just appear like everyone else. More folks should try not to flatter themselves..
This message is to everyone, o.k. everyone. Be careful of too much peanut butter today! Among other things it can make your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth. Particularly when eaten without crackers.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:14 AM

540 posts, read 628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
LOL...Can you please show us the "pictures" and how they mean Obama's tied to Blago's corruption? I'm sure you know something the U.S. Attorney doesn't know.

Wasn't "reverund wright" a memeber of RUN DMC? LOL....Thanks for the laugh!!
The pictures are all over the internet. Not hard t find. Head on off to lala land today and have a great time looking fora toilet. Could be Obamas first crisis. Liberals first whine fest. I can't find a place to peeeee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections