Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Ya really have to wonder about stuff like this. Based on what, do they believe this? His looks?

He has never done anything significant. Some of his ideas are simply ridiculous, and he threatens the economy with higher taxes at a time when what we need most is LOWER taxes.

He just doesn't seem to have a clue about anything.
Sort of like saying this kid will be a hall of fame quarterback. Even though he has only played in a few h.s games. WE will see. I hope for the sake of the nation that he is the most gifted president in our history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 01:54 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
I find it very interesting that the Obama supporters are relentlessly saying he is great he will be great and so on without any reason to truly believe it.
I think you all secretly hope he is but think if you profess it over and over that it will somehow carry over into reality?
Do you have a fear of him failing but hope it is ignored because of all the hype

Would also like to add the problem is that they gave a great puff trailer to the obama administration. Only the movie will not be as good because of all the hype and puff the best parts have already been shown and they have nothing else but fill for the rest of the movie.

Last edited by Miborn; 01-17-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Sort of like saying this kid will be a hall of fame quarterback. Even though he has only played in a few h.s games. WE will see. I hope for the sake of the nation that he is the most gifted president in our history.
Yes, I do too, even though I'm a conservative. I think everyone wants him to do well and be a great president (we wish that about all of them).
  1. But...he is a leftist Democrat, so on that basis it's unlikely
  2. He has no experience of any kind that would be helpful
  3. He has rebuilt the Clinton team with his picks (what's the sense in that; is that "change"? No. That's more of the same).
  4. His associations are very questionable, which makes me wonder about what he really believes about anything and how these people have affected his judgement on any issue.
We'll see. But I am anything but "hopeful". I'm scared and worried, if you want to know the truth. And apparently a lot of people are. Nobody is spending any money (I haven't had a job — I'm self employed— since right before the election, and I've never had to worry before). People are very nervous. This isn't good. He'd better do something big right in the begining to make an impression on both conservatives and liberals, or he's going to be "history" real fast.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
2/3 Believe Obama Will Be Above Average President
Well even a broken clock is right twice a day....

Old 01-17-2009, 08:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I find it very interesting that the Obama supporters are relentlessly saying he is great he will be great and so on without any reason to truly believe it.
I think you all secretly hope he is but think if you profess it over and over that it will somehow carry over into reality?
Do you have a fear of him failing but hope it is ignored because of all the hype

Would also like to add the problem is that they gave a great puff trailer to the obama administration. Only the movie will not be as good because of all the hype and puff the best parts have already been shown and they have nothing else but fill for the rest of the movie.
Just reporting the survey results. Does your thinking also suggest that the very poor review of President Bush is people hoping he will be a weak president?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
And then there are those anti Obama posters who have been continually wrong since oh about March. Readers when did you say the 1 for 1200 accurate predictions from the anti Obama posters began?

Old 01-17-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Well lets apply some math to your analogy. If we don't count seconds and only count minutes there are 24 hours times 60 minutes in a day for a total of 1,440 hour and minute time points in a day. You are saying then that a broken clock that is right 2 out of 1440 time points or 1 out of 770 time points is equal to two thirds? Now if it is a 24 hour clock that comes out to 1 out of 1440 time points being right.

Obama you need to reauthorize and expand NCLB asap.

1/1440=2/3

Old 01-17-2009, 08:31 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
It will be very easy for Obama to be a great president.

All he has to do, is exactly the OPPOSITE of everything Bush has done!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Yes, I do too, even though I'm a conservative. I think everyone wants him to do well and be a great president (we wish that about all of them).
  1. But...he is a leftist Democrat, so on that basis it's unlikely
  2. He has no experience of any kind that would be helpful
  3. He has rebuilt the Clinton team with his picks (what's the sense in that; is that "change"? No. That's more of the same).
  4. His associations are very questionable, which makes me wonder about what he really believes about anything and how these people have affected his judgement on any issue.
We'll see. But I am anything but "hopeful". I'm scared and worried, if you want to know the truth. And apparently a lot of people are. Nobody is spending any money (I haven't had a job — I'm self employed— since right before the election, and I've never had to worry before). People are very nervous. This isn't good. He'd better do something big right in the begining to make an impression on both conservatives and liberals, or he's going to be "history" real fast.

From what he has said thus far, Obama's actions are going to make things worse. He is going to increase the deficit, debt, size and scope of Government and debase the value of the US Dollar. The Congressional Democrats are not helping; they have already allocated the spending of nearly $ 400 Billion since the 111th Congress started less than 2 weeks back. They passed a lands bill and SCHIP expansion (nearly $ 50 B), plus the release of the second $ 350 B of TARP. Throw in the economic recovery package and you're talking $ 1.2-1.5 Trillion.

According to the Treasure website, our national debt is about $ 10.6 Trillion. I believe this is excluding the debt of Fannie and Freddie, which is about $ 5 Trillion. WHen you throw in commitments, backstops etc made by the FOMC and Treasure, you're talking $ 15-20 Trillion. Our national debt, essentially, doubled in 2008 and is now more than 100% of GDP. By the end of Obama's first term, we will look back on 2008 and early 2009 as paradise.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Ya really have to wonder about stuff like this. Based on what, do they believe this? His looks?

He has never done anything significant. Some of his ideas are simply ridiculous, and he threatens the economy with higher taxes at a time when what we need most is LOWER taxes.

He just doesn't seem to have a clue about anything.
Hmmmmmmm you must not read the same sources as 2/3 of America. Remember the better educated voter was pro Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections