Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:43 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,736,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Because Lord knows white people don't overcome barriers.
Certainly not racial or social barriers, which is what Black (and other minority) people have dealt with just within the last century. When was the last time you were discriminated against solely for being White??

Quote:
Hey, I thought we were living in a post-racial world now. At what point will "equality" be equal? Why can't I wear a "Say it loud, I'm white and proud" tee shirt? Or be a member of the White Panthers?
You can do that when "white pride" stops being a euphemism for bigotry and racism... until then, why not celebrate your ACTUAL heritage, like Irish/German/Russian/whatever. Nobody would give you crap about that, but celebrating one's "whiteness" is usually a clear indication of that person's racist nature. I'm white, and even I can understand and respect that.

Quote:
It irks me that all that matters is his race; not what he stands for. If he were a white guy with silly deluded ideas, he wouldn't have made it out of Chicago.
I would have voted for him regardless, as proven by the fact that I started as a Hillary supporter... and literally changed my vote at the last minute, after hearing him speak and being so moved by his words & ideas. I'm sorry if you only see him as an incompetent Black/biracial man, but many of us chose him for more than that. Good luck Obama, and thank goodness our reign of Bush terror is over!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:44 PM

P.S. To quote Obama himself (paraphrased)... I'll call him a White or biracial man the day society stops treating him as Black.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,728,360 times
He a 'Oreo', black on the outside, white on the inside. Not a part of the rap or gangsta culture, hes got the best of American culture - work hard, get educated, advance your career. He a true African-American, like actually that. If his mom was, for example, Irish, he coulda freaked them out by saying he was Irish! LOL! How would THAT go over?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:21 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,493,141 times
If Obama (assuming you did not know who he was) came up to you (I assume the OP is white) and said "I'm a white man", without saying anything about his mother, wouldn't you look at him like he was on dope or something?
While there may be Russian, Italian or whatever heritage, there is no such thing, at least in this country for those who aren't skinheads or Klan members, as a "Caucasian" heritage.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,520,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
He a 'Oreo', black on the outside, white on the inside. Not a part of the rap or gangsta culture, hes got the best of American culture - work hard, get educated, advance your career. He a true African-American, like actually that. If his mom was, for example, Irish, he coulda freaked them out by saying he was Irish! LOL! How would THAT go over?

Yes, of course you have to be white in order to have "the best of the American culture." Obama and the other "biracials" work hard, get educated and advance their careers, while the mass of Negroes are all part of the rap and gangsta culture. Fo' sho...............kill whitay........efil4zaggin. Right.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,493,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Yes, of course you have to be white in order to have "the best of the American culture." Obama and the other "biracials" work hard, get educated and advance their careers, while the mass of Negroes are all part of the rap and gangsta culture. Fo' sho...............kill whitay........efil4zaggin. Right.
You're an Obama supporter and you have a post like this?
What's up with that?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM

8,977 posts, read 21,055,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Wow, I can believe that I actually agree with O'Donnie but it's a great Idea! We can have a month set aside to honor the history of whites in America good and bad. Finally whites will get credit for putting a man on the Moon and we can celebrate that white accomplishment. But I don't think we should stop there. I think we should have a white Miss America pageant and a white Image Award for outstanding whites too. We could teach school children how white males have accomplished wonderful things in spite of government affirmative action programs that are geared to depriving white males of equal opportunities. Of course we will have to keep things fair so February's Black History month will have to now include atrocities committed by blacks against other groups. Fair's fair.
Granted, this thread has gone way off the original topic (at least by the time I got to this particular post) but...

If say, Irish, Italian, and Polish people wanted to celebrate their respective heritages with pageants and award shows, more power to them.

Unfortunately, blacks whose ancestors arrived via slavery find it difficult to impossible to trace their roots back to their home continent. It also doesn't help that many of the African country boundaries were established by European colonists.

As it stands, I'm happy to see Asian/South Pacific and Hispanic Heritage Months. If Native Americans don't have one, they certainly deserve it more than any of us.

To answer the original question... the story of Obama's white mother and grandparents raising him is well noted. He is the first obvious multiracial U.S. President. (I say "obvious" because I have heard theories of previous Presidents with small percentages of "Moorish" blood who were nonetheless rather pale.)That said, just as the states of Illnois, Hawaii and the country of Kenya all claim him, so should the African-American community be proud of him as well. If anyone knows the specific European ancestry of President Obama's mother, the folks in that segment should join in on the pride parade.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM

555 posts, read 2,204,976 times
One thing I learned from this election is that we are a nation divided, but on political lines. The fact BO is half white means nothing. He wanted the position and played both race cards to get it. Minorities tend to vote liberal because it has just been the way for a long time. He was at the right place at the right time. The republicans screwed up and the economy is in the tank. In 4 years, all of that can turn against him and the next president may still be the same race, but not BO and not a democrat.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,903,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
What a convoluted argument. An Oreo?? Since when has rap or gangsta culture been the end all be all of African Americaness? Langston Huges, an Oreo? Countee Cullen, an Oreo? Duke Ellington an Oreo? W.E.B. Du Bois and Oreo? Louis Gates, an Oreo? But in the next turn you state, correctly, that he is a true African American. Which is it?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
As it stands, I'm happy to see Asian/South Pacific and Hispanic Heritage Months. If Native Americans don't have one, they certainly deserve it more than any of us.
November is Native American Heritage Month... I only know because I did a project in graduate school on Native American library patrons, and had to look that up! I think it should be more highly publicized, seeing as nobody seems to know about it.

Some info on NA Month from the Library of Congress - spread the word! http://www.loc.gov/topics/nativeamericans/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections