Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
That's just stupid. Do they remember the LA riots as their first foray into "Black History Month"? Do they celebrate the African tribes selling their own people during Black History Month?
Who bought 'em?

The tribes didn't sell their own people. They sold the people the next town over, the next city, the next country. They sold them to the white intruders with money. I'm not excusing it, considering I descend from all of the above and others. Just pointing out that greedy Africans sold their rivals at home to greedy Europeans. And I'll remember the LA riots if you remember years of slavemaster, Klan and police brutality against African descendants. Things don't happen in a vacuum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You are so in the wrong here. A whole bunch of black people are celebrating solely because Obama is black. So many people think that Obama's victory is an historic first, all because he is black... and for no other reason.
So many people think its historic because it is.

The same type of celebration would have happened if Hillary made it into office. You probably would have been there too.

Just because you don't think ts historic doesn't mean that others should share your sentiment.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Pfffftttt... Closure.

What a load of crap. The blacks who WANT to get over it and move on, have done so long ago. The blacks who DON'T want to get over it and move on NEVER WILL.

In that regard, they're no different than people of any other race.

So what blacks do you know have "gotten over it?" Have you confirmed this with the Black Clearinghouse?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
For 355 years, America, has never for one second, considered a descendant of African slaves as being half white, or multi-racial despite the fact that throughout that time their have been literally millions of children born to both Africans and Europeans. And in each and every one of those births, either by law or by social norms, those children were considered, colored, negro or black and no one ever gave a second of thought about those children losing their white ethnic identity. In point of fact, everything instrument of society did it's damnedest to make sure that they DIDn't identity with the persons of European heritage. So, I find this more recent effort of European Americans to reach out an claim one of the bastard children quite fascinating.
So you're going to lay on me the assigned guilt of people who've been dead since before I've been alive and blame me for not recognizing any person as a human, regardless of skin color or borne ethnicity. People I suspect you've never met and really don't know just how damned their actions may or not have been.

Thanks a whole heck of a lot for pointing your finger at me for something I have never done.

That's what is fascinating.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
So you're going to lay on me the assigned guilt of people who've been dead since before I've been alive and blame me for not recognizing any person as a human, regardless of skin color or borne ethnicity. People I suspect you've never met and really don't know just how damned their actions may or not have been.

Thanks a whole heck of a lot for pointing your finger at me for something I have never done.

You have not done this...........but you, as a white person, have benefited from what those dead people have done, and I continue to be affected by what has happened to my ancestors. If you cannot see that, you are indeed blind. You may recognize me as a human (or you may not), but the fact that one race in the past did not recognize another race as human in the past continues to have an impact on the present, no matter how much you care to deny it.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:28 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
No it doesn't. I deny that.

It only has impact when people choose to give it impact; presumably to enable them to sit back in their complacent victimhood and not put forth the effort required to break the cycle.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post

What I don't get is is all this guilt some people claim to feel. Why would you feel guilty? If you don't share some of the same sentiments that made life difficult for others then your concience should be clear.

People who feel guilty regarding discussion about history need to ask themselves why?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,993,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'll never understand why white people are so hung up on "race", now we have to be angry that minorities celebrate their ethnic backgrounds?

I would LOVE to see "white history" celebrated more often, let's remember slavery and the genocide of Native Americans as our first foray into "White History Month", whaddya think?
You know what bothers me about this comment? It's the fact that there's not a single White person alive today who ever owned a slave or murdered a Native American Indian. So why must so many people continue to punish (and to an extent, even "hate") White people for horrible atrocities that we did not commit?

On the other hand, there are plenty of White people alive today who are either directly responsible for, or who supported, enacting the Civil Rights Act, desegragation, and affirmative action.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
No it doesn't. I deny that.

It only has impact when people choose to give it impact; presumably to enable them to sit back in their complacent victimhood and not put forth the effort required to break the cycle.
In terms of breaking the cycle, people also have to put forth the effort to break the cycle of thinking that the stereotypes portrayed don't equate to all minorities. That way, when the "victims" start to break the cycle, the preconceived notions don't come into play and they are given a chance to prove themselves.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Who bought 'em?

The tribes didn't sell their own people. They sold the people the next town over, the next city, the next country. They sold them to the white intruders with money. I'm not excusing it, considering I descend from all of the above and others. Just pointing out that greedy Africans sold their rivals at home to greedy Europeans. And I'll remember the LA riots if you remember years of slavemaster, Klan and police brutality against African descendants. Things don't happen in a vacuum.

Whoa buddy...out of context. I wasnt saying they should remember that. (not directed at you solely but it seems people sure have a bad time of reading posts and whats quoted in those posts)

I quoted the guy saying that "yeah..I'd love to see more white history celebrated"..then went on to mention only horrible things. Like those should be the first things mentioned.

I simply was trying to show him/her how much of an idiot they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections