U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 AM

1,380 posts, read 438,619 times
Always a bad thing when the far left take over turm...
We just hired a guy off of no experience and with
terrorist ties...
Good bless America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 AM

10,646 posts, read 7,291,286 times
He's going to do some strange things and many people will be left asking, "Why did he do that?" Basically cutting deals and backing away from campaign promises. He doesn't need the voters anymore, but he does need the DC power brokers. He's going to frustrate many people, and please almost no one.
Like Lincoln? No. Maybe Carter, probably like Bush 43. If he can even aspire to their level.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:51 AM

19,178 posts, read 18,996,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
I could have sent my kid to college on the mount the federal government have been taking these last few years. This is total bull****.
Without (everyone, not just you, paying) those taxes, there wouldn't BE any colleges that you could have sent your kid to for that much.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:13 AM

19,178 posts, read 18,996,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I suspect things will go on as before-I actually think things are going to get worse (I'm waiting for my taxes to rise again).
When was the last time your taxes went up? 1993? How many times have they been cut since then? If you are in a tax bracket high enough to be affected by any of the tax increases that Obama and the Democrats have been talking about, you (like me) have been playing with house money these past six or seven years. Lots and lots of house money. While middle and upper-middle income families saw their real incomes fall. I'm afraid I can't feel very sorry for either one of us here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
People will wake up Wednesday morning and realize that the magic wand has not been waved and our troubles have not been erased after all. I feel a lot are in a for a rude awakening...
It appears to be only Obama supporters who are actually cognizant of the extents of damage done in eight years by the Bush administration. It is these, therefore, who would be among THE LAST to expect any sort of instant cure. I only wish that our problems were so superficial as that. This whole meme is the creation of a myopic right-wing that is too dense even to understand the implications of its own propaganda...

Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 AM

3,262 posts, read 2,479,695 times
More worries that show the damages done by the Democrats that directly led to this current recession:

Democrats Were Wrong on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
October 06, 2008 05:10 PM ET | Michael Barone | Permanent Link | Print

Corrected on 10/08/08: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated the year Barney Frank and Herb Moses broke up. They broke up in 1998.

Seventeen. That's how many times, according to this White House statement (hat tip Gateway Pundit), that the Bush administration has called for tighter regulation of the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Congress has cooperated only once. In spring 2007, as House Financial Services Committee Chairman Barney Frank likes to point out, the House did pass a bill in response. The Senate did not act until 2008; Senate Banking Committee Chairman Christopher Dodd spent most of 2007 camped out in Iowa running for president. The legislation passed by Congress in 2008 enabled Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson to put Fannie and Freddie into federal conservatorship this summer when they failed. But it didn't prevent them from spewing a huge amount of toxic waste, in the form of subprime and Alt-A mortgages, into our financial institutions from 2004 to 2007. As Stephen Spruiell points out in The Corner on National Review Online, Fannie and Freddie spewed out $1 trillion worth (face value) of subprime mortgages between 2005 and 2007. That's a whole lot of toxic waste. For more detail, consult the items referred to in my previous blogpost on this subject (most of the comments seem to have been disputes about the plot line of the movie It's a Wonderful Life, which I should think could be settled by consulting a reference work).

Much if not all of that could have been prevented by a bill cosponsored by John McCain and supported by all the Republicans and opposed by all the Democrats in the Senate Banking Committee in 2005. That bill, which the Democrats stopped from passing, would have prohibited the GSEs from speculating on the mortgage-based securities they packaged. The GSEs' mission allegedly justifying their quasi-governmental status was to package or securitize such mortgages, but the lion's share of their profits—which determined top executives' bonuses—came from speculation.

John McCain has shied away from making this an issue, for reasons my U.S. News colleague Jim Pethokoukis speculates on. This National Republican Congressional Committee Web ad makes the point McCain has been avoiding. Jim Geraghty of the Campaign Spot blog at National Review Online seems exasperated by the McCain campaign's failure to exploit this issue. Excerpts:

Why can't John McCain and Sarah Palin make the points about how the crisis was built illustrated in the "Burning Down the House" (with the revised music) YouTube video? Could McCain please, please bring up some of this in Tuesday's debate?

Don't the American people deserve to know that Democrat Barney Frank, then ranking member and now chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, said, "I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing"? Isn't the fact that the ranking Democrat in charge of oversight of Fannie Mae was in a sexual relationship with a high-ranking Fannie Mae executive a glaring conflict of interest? Isn't it worth noting that Democratic Rep. Maxine Waters insisted, "we do not have a crisis at Freddie Mac, and in particular at Fannie Mae, under the outstanding leadership of Mr. Frank Raines"? Shouldn't the American people know that Democratic Rep. Gregory Meeks insist that "there's been nothing that was indicated that's wrong with Fannie Mae"?

If nothing else, shouldn't we salute Democratic Rep. Artur Davis for saying, "Like a lot of my Democratic colleagues I was too slow to appreciate the recklessness of Fannie and Freddie. I defended their efforts to encourage affordable homeownership when in retrospect I should have heeded the concerns raised by their regulator in 2004. Frankly, I wish my Democratic colleagues would admit when it comes to Fannie and Freddie, we were wrong."

I talked with Artur Davis in the Speaker's Lobby Friday during the vote on the financial bailout/rescue package. He reiterated what he said here, and he also makes the fair point that Republicans made some mistakes too. As for the reference Geraghty makes to the fact that Barney Frank's partner Herb Moses worked at Fannie Mae, I think we should keep in mind the fact that Frank and Moses broke up in 1998 and that Moses quit working at Fannie Mae at about the same time. As far as I'm concerned, that's ancient history. And while in retrospect it's clear that Frank was wrong about the GSEs in 2003, he did work with the administration and pushed legislation through the House in 2007, so it seemed he was open to learning from experience.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 AM

3,262 posts, read 2,479,695 times
Let's hope Mr. Obama can rise above all of this and do what is right for the country, take responsibility for the actions of Congress, cut pork and spending and get the country back on it's feet. I feel it won't happen as he doesn't have the experience to do this and his Democratic cronies will continue their reign of corruption, uncontrolled spending, propaganda and lies thereby leading the country into a deeper hole.

I really hope that a President gets elected who has some accountability so that my kids and future generations aren't paying forever for this clear government power grab. C'mon, Obama, step up and do what is right!!!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 AM

2,741 posts, read 3,844,792 times
I worry MUCH more about an unleashed congress.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:07 AM

28,054 posts, read 10,453,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Let's hope Mr. Obama can rise above all of this and do what is right for the country, take responsibility for the actions of Congress, cut pork and spending and get the country back on it's feet. I feel it won't happen as he doesn't have the experience to do this and his Democratic cronies will continue their reign of corruption, uncontrolled spending, propaganda and lies thereby leading the country into a deeper hole.

I really hope that a President gets elected who has some accountability so that my kids and future generations aren't paying forever for this clear government power grab. C'mon, Obama, step up and do what is right!!!
Mr Obama cannot take responsibility for the actions of Congress, that does not fall under his purview. The executive branch of government is charged with enforcing the laws of this nation. The legislative branch makes the laws, the President's branch enforces laws. The President can suggest legislation, he can use his influence to help pass legislation, he can use the power of veto, but he can only take responsibility for those actions, not for all the actions of Congress. As to the reign of uncontrolled spending, while Republicans may espouse less government and more fiscal responsibility, both things I would advocate, that is not evident in the policies they have pursued.

My hope for Obama is that he is able to meet the formidable challenges he faces, many of those challenges created and made larger by the Bush administration. I hope that he can make some progress in correcting the economy. I don't expect it to turnaround overnight. I hope that he can make some progress in improving our foreign relations. I don't expect that he can reverse all of Bush's missteps right off the bat. I hope that he can get the Department of Justice back to where it was before Bush politicized it, a department that gives judicious and balanced advice on policies and proposals as well as providing prosecutorial and legal defense services to the executive branch. I hope that this administration will respect the work of scientists rather than dismiss it. But I won't blame Obama for everything the government has done, as I don't blame Bush for everything that government has done under his watch. I blame Bush for what he's had a hand in, and I hope conservatives will make that distinction, as well.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 PM

5,337 posts, read 4,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post

?????!!! Do some of you read back what you compose before you hit 'submit'? Do what is right? For whom? For you? For Republicans? Conservatives? Why should he? He is not any of those things to my knowledge. Do you get a Pit Bull Terrier and expect it to use a litterbox or let it out to roam the neighborhood unsupervised? Gah! I am not harcore enough to expect that Obama will do all that the Liberal Left would hope for but for clear Obama haters and card carrying Right Wing Conservatives to expect he will do what is right, for them... ... incredulous. Power Grab? Well thank God! How much worse did some of you want it to get? At least when Bush won Democrats knew what they were in for. We didn't 'hope' against hope that Bush might go against type and actually do anything beneficial for ordinary Americans. At least not in open forum.

H

Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM

932 posts, read 1,064,452 times
Obama said today, "Its time to set aside childish things", so to move this country forward and out of this "O My the world is gonna end" bs.

Many of you here act like your shoe size. Time to grow up and take responsibility for yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections