Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Those who DIDN'T vote for Obama, rate his inaugural speech.
5 4 11.43%
4 6 17.14%
3 5 14.29%
2 9 25.71%
1 2 5.71%
0 2 5.71%
Didn't watch/No opinion 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,472 times

Advertisements

Poll: Those who DIDN'T vote for Obama, rate his inaugural speech.

5-->Amazing
4-->Good
3-->Average, not the best, not the worst
2-->Less than climactic
1-->A huge let down
0-->One of the worst speeches ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:59 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,472 times
I give it a 4. But I give all the others (the 2 poets and the other presenters) a 0. That poem was just awful, and the man at the end sounded like a bitter old white-man hater. Aretha was also just downright awful. She like forgot the words, so just started singing "freedom" for a few minutes, and her voice is not what it used to be.

Obama's speech was really good, I cant lie. I really, for the first time in 2 years, was OK to see him as president. I am hoping every democrat who expected Obama to just hand out free checks to them so that they could just sit back and leech really listened closely to his speech. He said that "all Americans need to step up, do their part, and work hard to get this country moving."

Too many people thought he was saying that "all Americans who make over $60,000 need to step up to the plate and work extra hard, while those of you at the bottom can continue not working, play victim, and complain about the self inflicted difficulty you put yourself in."

They needed a wake up call from Obama saying that he would not simply give them what they wanted because of their poor life choices, and I think the message was loud and clear today.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,107 times
I didn't see it but a friend of mine who did said it wasn't as good as his victory speech.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,618 times
I guess I expected more. it was no JFK "ask not what your country..." or a reagan thousand lights. maybe the speech writers were partying to late. By the time he gives a state of the country speech he should have more for the masses. Obama may want ALL americans to give and work hard. but that just means those that are making 60thou or more are those that will be giving. from those that have; to those that dont, and want it.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 AM

419 posts, read 602,784 times
There is reports that its his worst speech yet. That many felt it was nothing new. That we've heard it all before. Like he was still running

Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Most of his speeches are platitudes. There is not much behind them. I did like the part where he sent a message to foreign enemies ending in '... we WILL defeat you!'

At the end of the day, I am looking for substance over style and would hope that the public is as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,244 times
I didn't watch it, but I have heard (honestly) that it was not his best and that it was everything he has said over and over already. I did hear bits and pieces and I don't like the swipes he took at GW.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
I voted 5 and heres why......his speech was not divisive. His speech was very inclusive, very optimistic yet very realistic in terms of work that needs to be done. I liked that he did not go down the path of the dems are in charge, get used to it! as some no doubt wished he would. I liked that he included atheists as well as the believers in his speech.
I also liked the prayer said by Rick Warren....again, with the exception of 'heavenly father' what he had to say is something all Americans can and should be able to get behind.
Loved Aretha....bad day or not, she is Aretha Franklin.
Didn't like the poet.....as others have said on the inaugeration thread 'redman in a headband?" wtf was he trying to say?!

Now, the real test will be next years state of the union address. I can only hope that Obama will have positive things to report when he gives that.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
I rate it a 4. I agree with alot of what he said but, this man knows how to use words to his advantage, so I am taking it with a grain of salt. When I see some results and see his supporters attitudes change will I totally support him.
I loved Aretha, yeah she doesnt sound like the "old" Aretha but would any of us be able to sing at our full capacity in 25 degree weather? Probably not! Give her a break....It's ARETHA!!!!
I feel like the whole thing dragged on way too long, but this was and maybe the most historic inauguration any of us will ever see, so that was to be expected.

I am no fan of Obama and an even less fan of Michelle, but she did look Remarkable!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
I gave it a 4, only because no speech is perfect And his election night speech barely edged out this one.

I was listening to the speech, and I found myself remembering why I loved the U.S. Not that I didn't before, but it had gone dormant, I just hadn't thought about it. He was optimistic yet appropriately somber, encouraging, yet he exhorted everyone to join together and do their part to make America better. I sensed that I was understanding how my grandparents felt under FDR. He fostered a sense of unity, purpose and American-ness that I found impressive. I just hope his presidency is as good as his oratorical skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections