Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,912,615 times

Advertisements

With God and faith being so evident over the last two days in all of the events the there is no God folk must be pondering what they are missing. The there is no God folk who objected to the use of God in the oath must be stuck in bed from their melt down. The last two days have been joyous as we as nation shout that faith plays a major role in our national identity. We are a nation of immigrants but we are also a nation of faith from around the world. Are there others celebrating the recognition of God in our lives by our national leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,197,763 times
Sorry, TuborgP, what you're noticing is not meltdown, but apathy. Faith is a big part of a lot of people's lives, and it's become required for people in politics. I think that's silly, but there you go.

I do find it interesting that a person of faith would be so convinced that there should have been an uproar (or something similar) that he/she takes it as a sign of meltdown when one doesn't happen. But that's faith for you. A reality-based answer is that nobody's melting down. Nobody much cares.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:33 AM

31,672 posts, read 40,912,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Sorry, TuborgP, what you're noticing is not meltdown, but apathy. Faith is a big part of a lot of people's lives, and it's become required for people in politics. I think that's silly, but there you go.

I do find it interesting that a person of faith would be so convinced that there should have been an uproar (or something similar) that he/she takes it as a sign of meltdown when one doesn't happen. But that's faith for you. A reality-based answer is that nobody's melting down. Nobody much cares.
I don't think you were that worked up about the use of God and religion before yesterday. I was thinking more of the folks who were.
http://friendlyatheist.com/2009/01/1...-inauguration/
A couple weeks ago, Barack Obama picked Rick Warren to deliver his Inauguration’s invocation prayer. The gay community was (rightfully) mad. At the same time, Obama announced that Rev. Joseph Lowery would give the benediction prayer. Lowery is a little better on gay issues, but he still opposes gay marriage.

Atheists were mad that prayer was being used in the inauguration in the first place: Why was he mixing church and state? (We even filed a lawsuit.)

What has Obama done to respond to our frustration and anger?

He’s brought on two more Christian pastors.

The above is from the link

Remember there were lawsuits to prevent the use of the word God so those folks were certainly worked up.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,197,763 times
Hey, being an atheist is like being a Dem in Idaho. I am both, and they are very similar. We've gotten to the point where a person can call him- or herself an atheist and won't get assaulted or driven from town. But you can kiss that political career goodbye. So there is progress. But we take our victories small and far between.

The fact that the inauguration proceeded much the way every inauguration proceeds isn't something that hurts us.

Again, no meltdown.

Last edited by idahogie; 01-21-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: boneheaded grammar mistake

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 AM

273 posts, read 341,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post

I am glad that Obama is illustrating that religion and faith is present in democrats as well as republicans. There are atheists and theists on both sides of the aisle, and it was a false claim of the right that religion belonged to republicans. If the religious aspects of the inauguration bring more people into the Obama fold, all the better. Personally, I am an atheist.

Last edited by chauncy; 01-21-2009 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: spellign

Old 01-21-2009, 10:45 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,402,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
With God and faith being so evident over the last two days in all of the events the there is no God folk must be pondering what they are missing. The there is no God folk who objected to the use of God in the oath must be stuck in bed from their melt down. The last two days have been joyous as we as nation shout that faith plays a major role in our national identity. We are a nation of immigrants but we are also a nation of faith from around the world. Are there others celebrating the recognition of God in our lives by our national leaders?
I don't know why you feel it's necessary to gloat but, if it makes you feel better, so be it. Perhaps you're not as comfortable in your faith as you claim.

Nevertheless, Obama's administration still promises to base policy on science as opposed to superstition. So, I'm one atheist who's pleased.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:54 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,882,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I don't know why you feel it's necessary to gloat but, if it makes you feel better, so be it. Perhaps you're not as comfortable in your faith as you claim.

Nevertheless, Obama's administration still promises to base policy on science as opposed to superstition. So, I'm one atheist who's pleased.
They will find faith where ever they can find it , anything to justify what they can't prove , or are unwilling to admit. Sounds a lot like the previous administration.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,338,545 times
Quote:

As someone who was Christian and now Agnostic, I can say that I had no meltdown yesterday and I assume most atheists/agnostics felt the same way. In fact, I was very happy and moved by the day's events. I don't care that people have faith...whatever helps get them through the day. Of course Obama is going to recognize God...he knows his audience. I can definitely assure you I am not pondering what I am missing. Not sure why it's important to you that nonbelievers were having a "meltdown". Usually, reassurance is a sign of uncertainty.

Last edited by jbird82; 01-21-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 11:08 AM

273 posts, read 341,639 times
I myself wonder about the reaction of those who insisted that Obama was muslim or quasi-muslim (WTF is that?). Are they now convinced that Obama is not muslim?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,602,434 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I think you are mistaking famewh*res with run of the mill atheists/agnostics. Most of us are quite comfortable around religion and actually have respect for those that practice it. A live and let live attitude if you will. The other atheists who sue at the drop of a hat.....completely annoying and total famewh*res, they are the Paris Hiltons of atheism and not to be taken seriously

As to the religiousity of the event....I'm fine with that. If it represents Obamas views why shouldn't he have it on his day? Besides, the majority of people are some form of Christianity so it only makes sense. And Warrens prayer was quite nice, and while I don't believe in the 'big guy' I completely agree with the sentiments of the prayer itself.

One last thing.......did you catch Obamas 'shout out' to the unbelievers in our midst? I did, and I appreciated that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections