Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post

These are the people who are going to be let go and back to attack us.
Interesting study by Seton Hall's school of law, on the ever changing chimera of detainees returning to the "battle field."

http://law.shu.edu/center_policyresearch/reports/urban_legend_final_61608.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:41 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyGrace View Post
Ok...funny how you libs are so eager to protect evil criminals from "torture" yet you think nothing of the lifetime of torture that will be endured by those who lost loved ones on 9/11. Shame on you.

Two wrongs don't make a right. We should hold ourselves to higher moral standards than those scumbags. Shame on you.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
All Gitmo did was create a bad view of America by the rest of the world.

It represented torture, and prisoner abuse, which are two things America does not stand for, and will not tolerate.

It represented a facility where people were detained without being told why they were there.

Obama is trying to improve this by closing this facility, and trying prisoners within the American judicial system.

Bush turned the entire world against us, and turned America into one of the most hated countries.

Obama is now trying to restore our moral standing in the world.
As far as Gitmo..I totally agree with your very good post.
America can not openly accuse other nations of human rights violations and expect them to change when we are guily of the same.

I have NO sympathy for the terrorists but we need to practice what we preach

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Maybe some of the paraplegic soldiers will have hopes of walking again, as Obama is overturning Bush's idiotic veto on stem-cell research.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Interesting study by Seton Hall's school of law, on the ever changing chimera of detainees returning to the "battle field."

http://law.shu.edu/center_policyresearch/reports/urban_legend_final_61608.pdf (broken link)
I guess what is the thing the is worrying about the report is 1) the US government doesn't track them when they released 2) As in the case of ISN 220 he was released despite several facts showing he was a member of the Taliban.

I don't think there is a doubt there needs to be some kind of review or overhaul to make sure the guilty prisoners don't just walk free and go back to fighting.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:42 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If President Bush hadn't made up reasons to go to war in Iraq, none of ours sons or daughters would have been at risk of being dragged through the streets behind an Iraqi truck. I wholly support finding and punishing those responsible for 9/11, but, our illustrious former president had no interest in doing that. He put, and kept, our sons in daughters in jeopardy to settle a personal vendetta that had nothing to do with 9/11.
Exactly!

If Bush had stayed the course with Afghanistan, instead of straying into Iraq (for absolutely no reason other than he wanted to), we wouldn't have to worry about sons and daughters in Iraq.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I guess what is the thing the is worrying about the report is 1) the US government doesn't track them when they released 2) As in the case of ISN 220 he was released despite several facts showing he was a member of the Taliban.

I don't think there is a doubt there needs to be some kind of review or overhaul to make sure the guilty prisoners don't just walk free and go back to fighting.
As I have written before, there is a lot of room between Gitmo and mass emancipation. I have no objections to holding hostile forces captured as a result of armed combat, in let's say Afghanistan, for the duration of hostilities. Establish a prisoner of war camp in country or turn them over to the Afghan government.

Those who we capture under the belief that they are operating as terrorist, let's bring them to the bar of justice. Having said that, I am also not fundamentally opposed to military tribunals per se, because there has to be a way to protect security sources and methods during the discovery phase of any trial which may not be possible in a civilian Federal court. But it still has to adhere to the rule of law, even military law. Something that number of military prosecutors have made clear wasn't taking place under the Guantanamo system.

There has to be a system in place where the adjudication of lawful and unlawful combatants is established, and where the lawfulness of their initial detainment can be established.

I mean, it isn't like the country has a shortage of lawyers to make this work.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
I am just so tired of everyone whining about torturing these poor little terrorists. I wanna know from anyone what you would do if you saw on tv, one of your sons or daughters who was in the military being dragged through the streets behind an iraqi truck.
My kids aren't going to be in that situation because they aren't going to join the military and invade someone else's country in the first place. If they did, they would deserve what they got.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Unfortunately you are probably right. These leftists think that Bush and Cheney should be tried for war crimes!
What's supposed to happen, exactly, when people brag about war crimes on national television?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
That is exactly how The Messiah must feel. American soldiers died to defend this country, and capture terrorists and barack is letting them go. He just suspended the trials for five of the mean who planned the terrorist attacks on 911. He is moving them from Gitmo to a prison near you, and the American tax payer is paying for thier prison cell, food, lawyers and they are given American court treatment. Please explain again why this guy is was elected again. Oh thats right because he sounds smart, looks good and is historic.
Our first Affirmative Action President enjoys pallin' around with terrorists, remember? I'm very surprised Obama hasn't yet sat down unconditionally with these terrorists and surrendered, as he promised during the campaign. At the very least they could get together for a circle jerk and Koran reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections