Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:13 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times

Advertisements

I really don't see what's wrong with this. People want to change who they are all the time. Different styles, to even different genders. This isn't all that shocking or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
what if, say, michael steele reported that his young black son had expressed a wish that he would rather be white.

would that be cool and cute, i wonder?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM

217 posts, read 513,152 times
Quote:
what if, say, michael steele reported that his young black son had expressed a wish that he would rather be white.

would that be cool and cute, i wonder?
Nowadays in this pc society it is not politically correct to worship Whiteness, but is perfectly acceptable to worship Blackness.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I think the kid probably thinks it's cool to be black, not that he wants to be black. Blacks have long since dominated youth popular culture and now ONE has risen to the White House but an 8 year old has no perspective. He'll probably want to be an alien next week. I just hope black kids start thinking it's cool to be a nerd like Obama.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I just hope black kids start thinking it's cool to be a nerd like Obama.
The overwhelming majority of Blacks will never see nerd culture like "Dungeons & Dragons" "Star Trek", "Bill Nye The Science Guy", etc as being cool and hip. That is why you never see any Black guys on "Beauty And The Geek".

Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
The overwhelming majority of Blacks will never see nerd culture like "Dungeons & Dragons" "Star Trek", "Bill Nye The Science Guy", etc as being cool and hip. That is why you never see any Black guys on "Beauty And The Geek".
How do you know?

I think youre approaching this from the wrong direction.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Folks said we would "never" see a Black President. Never say never.

Also, I'm not talking about fictional sci-fi stuff but cool as in brains will get you power, money and the cool chick on your arm(not discounting the value of intellect) not only sports, rap and crime. It will take time but we shall see.. The show A Different World made college cool for many blacks my age and inspired us to attend. Obama is real life cool that will be in the history books forever so give it time.

Last edited by Tank1906; 01-27-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
How do you know?

I think youre approaching this from the wrong direction
I know from personal experience dating back middle school and high school. During lunch in the cafeteria the racial demographics of the table where the nerds sat at was overwhelmingly White with a few Asians sprinkled in. Blacks were however very well represented among the jock crowd.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
I know from personal experience dating back middle school and high school. During lunch in the cafeteria the racial demographics of the table where the nerds sat at was overwhelmingly White with a few Asians sprinkled in. Blacks were however very well represented among the jock crowd.
You can't say "the overwhelming majority of blacks" based on one middle school cafeteria in parts unknown. I can't deny what you've experienced but I've seen the excact opposite. My dream is that it becomes the norm. Chances may be slim but you never know what possibilities this election has opened. I think "black nerd cool" would benefit all of society.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Oh, okay.

There are millions of successful black people in the US, living in Grovers Corners and Chagrin Falls cheek by jowl with the white folks, who use slide rules and telescopes for a living. Rappers and so on became successful through a marginalized culture and a romanticizing of that culture. But now, with a black role model in the WH and a new emphasis on personal responsibility and self-determination, as well as improved public education - better funding of math and science and the liberal arts - and college counseling/encouragement, small business assistance and so on, I think more and more black kids are going to step out of the last of the old chains restraining their inner nerdiness.

Im presuming you're not saying it's a genetic thing.

That said, there are people in every culture who arent nerds, you're right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections