Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:55 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
A little Freudian slip there.
No, not at all...I've been using that one for a while now. I used to also use "Republiklans" but they all freaked out on me (while continuing to use the unbelievably offensive Liberatard... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 12:57 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
Tell me one thing that was pledged that is not a good thing for our country. I agree that saying they will serve our president is strange--I prefer that they would have said they will serve our country. But everything they pledged to do is good and needs to be done. I am glad that we have a president that inspires that kind of loyalty and commitment to service. Now, let's see if they follow through or if this was just a PR moment. This is much like Kennedy's, "Ask what you can do for your country."
They pledged to serve Obama instead of their country,..that is what they said that wasn't good for our country. They don't love and respect our nation nor it's military. They love and respect only themselves and Obama,...in that order. They'll do everything they can to help Obama and to hell with the rest of the country.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
They pledged to serve Obama instead of their country,..
So? Let them. They're slightly off-center Hollywood people. They do a lot of strange things. I haven't met a single person who has said, "I can't WAIT to serve our new president!" with unfocused eyes and a yawing grin. Have you?

If so...maybe you should move. Because the majority of my family is Democrat, many people I know are Democrat, and not a single one of us is bobbing and giggling a la Demi Moore and saying "I want to serve Obama!" in front of a camera. (shrug) Because people in Hollywood apparently voted Dem, that means they're representative of the whole country? Since when has anyone in Hollywood been representative of any other segment of the country?

Hitler was quite conservative. Does that mean that we should all shriek and burble relentlessly in a tin foil panic every time anyone says something conservative because that means they're "just like Hitler"?

Good God but this is an immature bunch.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:08 AM

this has nothing to do with liberal or conservative. George Washington was offered a crown and turned it down. After serving as president, he declined to run for office a second time because America did not need a king. The President has been a servant of the people. He serves by our will. Such fawning over Obama is similiar to what we see and hear in Communist dictatorships. Combine their pledge to serve Obama with videos of kids in public schools marching and chanting Obama's praises and slogans and we might as well be Nazi Germany or North Korea.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:13 AM

Don't have underground bunkers in south Louisiana. Ground's too soft and moist. Caskets rise out of the ground in floods around here. You saying you never saw the video of public school students marching and chanting for Obama? These celebrities and the press fawning over Obama and pledging to serve him (Chris Matthews is among the press who said it was his job to help make Obama's presidency a success) are things people do in Nazi Germany or Communist dictatorships.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Don't have underground bunkers in south Louisiana. Ground's too soft and moist. Caskets rise out of the ground in floods around here. You saying you never saw the video of public school students marching and chanting for Obama? These celebrities and the press fawning over Obama and pledging to serve him (Chris Matthews is among the press who said it was his job to help make Obama's presidency a success) are things people do in Nazi Germany or Communist dictatorships.
Can I just say...gross?

Okay. Now that that's out of the way...When I was very young and in elementary school, we had a "mock presidential election". We kids ran around the school chanting "Carter, Carter, he's our man...Ford belongs in the garbage can" for months. We knew every detail of Carter's childhood. We talked about peanut farms and peanut farming. We were little Stepford kids. That's what kids do. They want to seem more adult...so they pretend to be "in the know" about what their parents talk about all the time. If anyone had taped us tiny little flat-chested, braces-on-the-teeth, occasionally bedwetting little twirps chirping en masse whom we were "for" or "against", it could easily have raised "communism" fears.

Actually, let me amend that. It could easily have raised communism fears among the extraordinarily paranoid.

Just like now.

I notice the kids of yesteryear...who are the old chicks and dudes of today, like me...aren't Communists.

Your fears are unfounded. That's the politest way I can state what I'm actually thinking about your reaction to that video.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:26 AM

Considering how Carter's presidency turned out, it would have been interesting to see how Gerald Ford would have done in his place. I felt sorry for Ford. He was put in a no-win situation and was blamed for something he had nothing to do with. He really wasn't a bad guy.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Considering how Carter's presidency turned out, it would have been interesting to see how Gerald Ford would have done in his place. I felt sorry for Ford. He was put in a no-win situation and was blamed for something he had nothing to do with. He really wasn't a bad guy.
Exactly my point about little kids and their "chanting"...and how much it actually means in the end.

In case you missed that point.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 AM

Project Disaster » 2008 » October (http://projectdisaster.com/?m=20081019 - broken link)
IN THE MARSH OF CAMERON PARISH, La. (AP) — Joe Johnson craned his neck from the airboat as it circled a patch of brown marsh grass. The runaway coffin was not where it was supposed to be.
Johnson pulled up to a pile of rocks, killed the motor and hopped out. After a few minutes of scouring along the tall, reedlike grass, he flagged down two fishermen.
“Can you possibly take me along the shoreline?” Johnson asked. “I’m looking for a casket.”
Officials in coastal areas have long struggled with interring the dead, as caskets buried in low-lying areas are susceptible to being belched up by floodwaters. Some areas — most notably New Orleans — house the dead in above-ground crypts to keep them from drifting away in storms.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Exactly my point about little kids and their "chanting"...and how much it actually means in the end.

In case you missed that point.
The kids in the video were high school teenagers. The celebrities pledging to Obama are legal adults with thousands of adoring fans who sometimes blindly follow their example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections