Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:22 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
That's on the economy Antredd.

On social issues he's already coming out as the farthest leftie ever.

The economy will make it through. But, Barack's liberal philosophy will take years to undo. Already, abortions for kids as young as 12 without parental consent or knowledge. Insurance benefits for live in transexual "spouses". Insurance to pay for penis removal.

Barack played the American people as a centrist toward the end of his campain, at the advice of his managers.

I knew from the start that he was the most liberal Senator in DC.

Well, here we go. Four years of giving in to gay marriage, and a Mommy & Mommy home. It is immoral. And American children should not be taught that same sex parents are normal.

I'll get some flack for this post, but I don't care.

I'm not saying that society isn't ready for this. I'm saying that if government has any sense of decency, it will hold dear an American conscience. Keep America wholesome.

I have no faith in our current Congress, and less faith in Obama, to keep us on a path of morality.

Obama is going to mess this place up so badly that by the time your son is 10 years old, he will be getting breast surgery, without parental consent.

Barack wants gays to run your lives. If you don't believe me ... check out the new Presidential website.
Being a christian, I am just going to say that all that is happening now has already been prophesized.

I may not agree with the gay lifestyle nor want to see the institution of marriage redefined. Barack is trying to be very inclusive of gays which is a nobel thing for him to do. It's not that I agree with it. But he's trying to be not just a christian president or black people's president--he wants to be everyone's president if you like it or not.

Just because I don't agree with a person's lifestyle, doesn't make it right for me or anyone to pick and choose how the Constitution enforces people's Civil Rights, even though these people pay their taxes just like I do. I think it's homophobic to say that Barak wants gays to run our lives. They can't run my life because my faith in God won't allow them to make me change my view. All I can do, as a christian, is keep praying for our country and for people who don't believe in God as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 12:43 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Many folks in this country have been over paid for many years. The auto industry is a prime example. I don't blame employees for taking on jobs that paid well above average wages.

People are going to have to learn to live on less for a while.

Part of the problem, at least in Michigan, where I live ( by the way we have the highest unemployment rate in America ) is that Detroit was so wealthy, and spread it's auto industry wealth to other cities in MI, that people were able to depend on their high wages, Michiganders for years thought that it would never end. In earlier days a guy could come out of high school and eventually make $35 an hour. $52 an hour on overtime. It truly made hundreds of thousands very well to do.

It is no laughing matter for auto workers these days. But, people should have seen it coming. The unions propped up wages, and benefits, to the extent that it was no longer sustainable. Seriously.

Another problem. Auto workers spent money like fat cats. Now laid off, they often have loans to pay off. The snowmobile payment, the boat payment, the truck payment, the house payment, etc.

People in the corporation that I work for have been laid off. It might sound stupid, but if you earn a lower wage, you might be less likely to get the axe.

If you have a decent job, now is not the time to screw it up. Go to work every day, on time.

And be thankful for what really matters. A roof over your head, enough to eat, football, and family.

Go fishing and make an apple pie. Come back to Earth and remember that that's what it's all about.
This was a sane post. Thank you. I gave you a rep even though it hurt my finger to press the mouse when I did it.

By the way, I often worked in Michigan in the 70's. The corporation I worked for had customers in Cadillac, Detroit, Lansing, East Lansing and other places. I saw the companies begin to close down and move to Japan, China, etc. even then. Our company did the same with our manufacturing units. The handwriting was on the wall a long time ago, and many people did not see it coming.

I lived in Akron. It broke my heart two years ago when I visited there to see the General Tire headquarters and factory just a pile of rubble. Goodrich and Firestone--once huge headquarters and factories, now simply subsidiaries of larger companies and foreign groups. The factories are gone. Goodyear seemed to still be viable. But dozens of small companies that were in Akron to service these large companies are out of business. The office I worked in has been moved to Japan.

The only disagreement I have with your post is in the area of wages. The auto wages probably were too high, but most American wages are not. I think wages are too low--even slave wages--in most of the world. I think it is wrong for us to support slave wages by purchasing items made in those countries. But I don't know how to change any of it, and one president can't do it. These are international forces moving us.

By the way, Texas has managed to not be effected by most of the recession (or depression) up to this point. But this week, three manufacturing plants in our city laid off factory workers. Only a total of 70 were laid off, but it is starting. Just like the good times, we are the last to get the bad times. The recession is now "trickling down" on us too. I moved here to get away from the stagnant economy in Akron and to be somewhere that was growing instead of dying. I guess everywhere is getting it now.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Trust me The Messiah, is not going to stop the economy from getting worse. By the time he is starts his second year people will be crying that they ever voted this character into office. With his tax hikes and spending increases we will all be in the unemployment line. Watch and see.
The sad fact is that many of us (expect 25%) will be unemployed regardless of anything Washington does. Don't expect to be in an unemployment line either; the states are broke. It will not be Obama's fault, it is inevitable and unstoppable. Prepare as best you can for hard times.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Yo

Last edited by JamesAbilene; 01-25-2009 at 02:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections