Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Batting 1000, is he? So why is the Stock Market further in the tank every day?

From my point of view, and remember, he only got 53% of the vote, he's doing pretty poorly so far. Jimmy Carter II is going to be a one term Pres, I think. A lot of people are already upset with him, and this isn't going to help matters at all.
What did you expect?...for it to shoot above 10000 on the first day? Consumer confidence is in the crapper, the banks are a mess and people can't carry their debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 03:17 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Batting 1000, is he? So why is the Stock Market further in the tank every day?
You're not a stock market investor are you? It shows. Someone that studies the markets knows about Microsoft not meeting earnings, or new construction at an all time low since 1959.. you know important indicators like that...

Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
why?

I prefer to have the federal goverment to stay out of science, that way if any discoveries are made nothing would belong to it, and all patents would remain privately owned.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I prefer to have the federal goverment to stay out of science, that way if any discoveries are made nothing would belong to it, and all patents would remain privately owned.
If that is your mindset then please explain to me the previous administrations views on public funding and the ownership of patents therefore.

If you can't, then please breakdown the federal dollars in research (and their return on investment) vs private investments in regards to overhead.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
A lot of people are already upset with him, and this isn't going to help matters at all.
More like a few people are going around saying that a lot of people are upset with him. More and more, an understanding of the lies of the manufactured media is spreading through the country. A national sense of relief and a grim optimism framed by Obama's inaugural address cast comments like yours in stark relief and contrast with the underlying mood of the people. There have been a lot of hey-wait-a-minute moments out there lately A realization by people that they've been on the receiving end of a lot of just plain hooey over these past eight years and have come to pay a very high price for it. More and more, you all are the folks trying to sell Twinkies to a group that's trying to go on a diet. Enjoy these last few moments of yours...they're all that's left you...

Old 01-24-2009, 07:14 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Yea, forget the blasted NIH and CDC lol. Let the private sector own all patents and charge accordingly. Science would come to a halt.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
You've got things exactly backwards. Reliance on the private sector for basic research is an excellent way to minimize the number of dollars that will be invested in it, and to maximize the number of dollars that will be extracted from consumers as patent holders try to drive up profits on whatever discoveries they are able to make.

Sadly, this sort of deliberately perverse right-wing thinking is not limited merely to ideas about basic research funding.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
If that is your mindset then please explain to me the previous administrations views on public funding and the ownership of patents therefore.

If you can't, then please breakdown the federal dollars in research (and their return on investment) vs private investments in regards to overhead.

I support NO funding of any public investments at all with any federal money, and no ownership of any patents either by the federal goverment.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You've got things exactly backwards. Reliance on the private sector for basic research is an excellent way to minimize the number of dollars that will be invested in it, and to maximize the number of dollars that will be extracted from consumers as patent holders try to drive up profits on whatever discoveries they are able to make.

Sadly, this sort of deliberately perverse right-wing thinking is not limited merely to ideas about basic research funding.

I prefer to have no federal funding to go to anything not listed already in the Constitution. there is nothing perverse about that at all, or are do democrats prefer not to have a Constitution at all to get in their way?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:48 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Obama to overturn Bush veto on stem-cell research

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections