Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Think of the logic of this post. Where is there evidence that people overseas are upset by his decision? If as you say he wanted to paint a smiley face on our image overseas why is what you or any other American thinks on this topic important? Have you documented that people overseas are not happy about getting funding? If not what is your point in relation to your topic? If they in fact are happy then you have argued he is being successful in painting that smiley face. I am happy Millions of other Americans are happy So don't worry be happy You may have a sad face but in balance is the world a happier place with Obama If so then he is painting a smiley face for the majoritiy
and would add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I don't know ... this put a smile on my face this morning! hmmm ... helping organizations teach family planning and provide birth control to poor nations? Helping provide SAFE abortions if need be?
You apparently fail to understand that organizations that provide birth control, education etc. in other countries are already funded. What Obama did was to allow such groups to use USA tax payer money to promote and execute abortions. Nothing else changed, it's all about abortion.

By the way, abortion is NEVER safe for the child being killed.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The Bible has proven over hundreds and thousands of years that its Prophets had knowledge of the future that exceeds mortal man's. That's the rational reason I put my faith is Jesus. The other 499 are false.
Make the same statement twice more substituting the Torah and the Koran, Yah-We and Allah, for the Bible and Jesus respectively and you'll have a very concise explanation for far too much needless death and destruction in the world, If only a cure were more easily arrived at.

And BTW, it's more than 4,999 others you allege with no evidence are false. I guess you'd rather be part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's so blind - why be blind just because it's comfortable? No one wants abortions to have to happen. But they do. Why not face reality and deal with it in the sanest way possible, rather than insanely ignoring it?
Sounds like comforting advice for the proverbial frog in a kettle of water that is slowly being brought to a boil. Don't worry, everything's fine, it'll all work out, gotta be realistic you know, sure the water's getting warmer but that's just the way life is, deal with it, don't jump out now, that would be insane...

It is likely that with very few exceptions abortions happen because a mother was told she could kill her child and get away with it rather than put up with the inconvenience of raising her son or daughter, or putting him/her up for adoption.

Killing unborn children should never in my opinion be authoritatively taught as a viable method of birth control or of population control. But that's what I as a USA tax payer am being forced to fund apparently all over the world.

Why not educate people and provide such things as condoms instead of offering to kill the unborn child? As I understand it, that's what was happening until yesterday when Obama pandered to the extreme left wing of his political party and forced all Americans to contribute to the killing of innocents.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
Sounds like comforting advice for the proverbial frog in a kettle of water that is slowly being brought to a boil. Don't worry, everything's fine, it'll all work out, gotta be realistic you know, sure the water's getting warmer but that's just the way life is, deal with it, don't jump out now, that would be insane...

It is likely that with very few exceptions abortions happen because a mother was told she could kill her child and get away with it rather than put up with the inconvenience of raising her son or daughter, or putting him/her up for adoption.

Killing unborn children should never in my opinion be authoritatively taught as a viable method of birth control or of population control. But that's what I as a USA tax payer am being forced to fund apparently all over the world.

Why not educate people and provide such things as condoms instead of offering to kill the unborn child? As I understand it, that's what was happening until yesterday when Obama pandered to the extreme left wing of his political party and forced all Americans to contribute to the killing of innocents.
They do, they do....and a lot more damage was occurring until yesterday, too. Please respond to the earlier post.

The frog in the kettle metaphor - I dont get it. Before we know it... what? Please spell it out for me.

I do get the feeling you wouldnt care about abortions in other countries at all if your tax dollars werent involved. You tack mention of your taxes onto almost every statement, and show no interest in the already-born people and their families involved in this tragic story. JMO; if Im wrong please correct me.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:24 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post

Is what you are suggesting should be done the approved government method in Alaska?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Think of the logic of this post. Where is there evidence that people overseas are upset by his decision? If as you say he wanted to paint a smiley face on our image overseas why is what you or any other American thinks on this topic important? Have you documented that people overseas are not happy about getting funding? If not what is your point in relation to your topic? If they in fact are happy then you have argued he is being successful in painting that smiley face. I am happy Millions of other Americans are happy So don't worry be happy You may have a sad face but in balance is the world a happier place with Obama If so then he is painting a smiley face for the majoritiy
My guess is that you hadn't yet read much of this thread when you posted your smilies.

I think most people are aware that an Obama/Clinton priority is to present a better face to the world than they perceive took place during Republican administrations. Thus my smiley face analogy.

Social issue groups overseas already had federal funding for education, condoms etc. The issue being discussed in this thread is Obama's executive order yesterday to allow those groups to add the killing of unborn children to the options they present to women in foreign nations.

So, there's no issue of any funding being withdrawn, it's an issue of abortions in other countries now being funded by USA tax payers.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
I did read the thread title and the first line of the OP which is.
"President Obama promised that he'd paste a friendly happy face on the USA image abroad. But one of his first acts as president is to arrange for the killing of unborn babies in foreign countries! "

It doesn't say promised to make you happy.

Thus are my posts not on topic? Are you saying I haven't digressed from the topic like others have. The thread title talks about smiley face and the first line deals with our image abroad. Once again then the gquestion begging to be answered is are people abroad less happy with us today then they were prior to the election? Has this decision lessened the appeal of America to those of other nations.
My read of polling data and international news is that they are very

Sorry for being on topic

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
I'm all for helping women in third world countries understand how to take care of themselves. However, the reality that you say we need to face is that the leaders and men of the third world countries I don't think are necessarily on the same page, and I don't really see anyone trying to change [i]their[i] minds. Do you know that not too long ago men in Africa believed they could cure AIDS by having sex with a baby. Here's a shocking article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-for-Aids.html

I would really hate to see the status quo being maintained in third world countries while women rush to have abortions because of the inability to change the status quo and because they can. Families in third world countries sell their daughters to be slaves because they can't feed them, and see this as a solution at least to keep the child alive. Abortion is a resolution to the result of a bigger problem being ignored.

If no one wants abortion as you say, then why the advocation of abortion rights, making it easy, comfortable, acceptable, even for minor children. I believe it is about people wanting people to have abortions. I don't see abortion clinics giving alternatives to abortion when their patients walk in the door. I don't think they see abortion as horrible. See this link for example.

Freedom of Choice Act would Guarantee Roe Protections in U.S. Statutes

I understand it's about rights. I understand too that the people who regret having abortions and try to tell women and teenagers about those requests are told to shut the heck up or that they're stupid because it's the "rule of law." People will applaud, even herein, if the Freedom of Choice Act, which removes all abortion bans, is passed, so, to me, people do want people to have abortions, and they want all Americans to like it.

[quote=delusianne;7148256](^ and all your other posts replying to mine...)

No one is saying it's a virtue - that's your twist. No one wants abortion to happen but, horribly, it does. Why not face reality and handle this problem intelligently?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You need to understand these NGOs are NOT located in Oxford, Ohio. Why not do a little studying?
But I and millions of other Americans do not need to "do a little studying." We already know the issue and where we stand on it.

I admit, there are evil things happening all over the world because of human choices and selfishness. But I flat out DO NOT WANT my tax money being used to kill unborn children anywhere!

Obama dictated that must happen all over the world as of yesterday. I cannot see the taking of innocent human life as a form of birth and population control contributing to a positive image for America or Americans. Condoms, education, yes, that's already happening.

Only the funding of abortion and the consequent denial of the right to live to certain innocent people all over the world happened yesterday. That was Obama's choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections