Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quoting from the WSJ artice:

Quote:
The statement was prompted by Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl of Arizona , who challenged the president and the Democratic leaders over the balance between the package’s spending and tax cuts, bringing up the traditional Republican notion that a tax credit for people who do not earn enough to pay income taxes is not a tax cut but a government check.

Obama noted that such workers pay Social Security and Medicare taxes, property taxes and sales taxes. The issue was widely debated during the presidential campaign, when Sen. John McCain, the Republican nominee, challenged Obama’s tax plan as “welfare.”
Reading the two paragraphs above, you can see background of his answer. Essentially, Obama was pointing out that further discussion of the issue is over and most Americans had already 'issued' their opinion on the topic. The fact that Obama is President is indicative that more Americans agreed with him (and his tax positions) than with McCain (and his tax policies). Hence:

Quote:
With those two words — “I won” — the Democratic president let the Republicans know that debate has been put to rest Nov. 4 .
Further reinforced by:

Quote:
...As he left the White House, House Majority Whip James Clyburn of South Carolina was asked about Republican complaints that Democrats aren’t listening to what their GOP colleagues have to say. “We’re responding to the American people,” he said. “The American people didn’t listen to them too well during the election.”
If the Republicans don't like this, then they should try harder in 2012, promote their policies and strategies more clearly, and actually listen to what Americans want.

Finally, I am not big supporter of the $500 tax rebate but I wasn't a big supporter of the $600 rebate issued by Bush, either. Were the Republicans equally opposed to that rebate then because I clearly remember getting a check in the mail...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Well, *******s, what if Bush had said this in exactly the same language? Just a guess, the left would have their little heads blow off with outrage.
Of course! As was/is our right. Just as this foaming-at-the-mouth, sputtering thread is your right.

It always has been. From both sides.

If you want to freak about this, freak. (shrug) What's wrong with that? Political criticism is a hundreds-of-years-old U.S. tradition and a much-older-than-that "old world" tradition. Nobody's stopping you. But we will argue with you if we think your assessment of what happened is wrong; just as the opposite happens. Don't know what's so hard to understand here....

p.s. Since "libertards" seems to be back, is it fine with you that we also resurrect "RepubliKlans"? Just checking.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Well, *******s, what if Bush had said this in exactly the same language? Just a guess, the left would have their little heads blow off with outrage.
Maybe if Bush would have done what Obama has done in the past three days, we would have rooted for him too when declared winning something. Bush declares "Mission Accomplished" when there was no such animal.

If Obama is a bit full of himself, he certainly has reason to be. Bush was a smug, arrogant brat with no reason other than having daddys' money and daddy's cronies to pull his strings. Who wants to talk about Bush anyway? The only thing I look forward to hearing about Bush is that he will be answering for what he has done. REPENT BUSH, REPENT!

Old 01-23-2009, 05:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Some can tell em and some caint.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
A prime example of Democratic compassion.

I guess we shouldn't combat terrorism or drugs. Just let crap happen....

Another great example of Democratic thinking. You guys are the best.
You posted: """"I guess we shouldn't combat terrorism or drugs. Just let crap happen....""" after the following quote:

Quote:
Cutting taxes while fighting two wars (actually four if you count the terrorism and vice wars) is how a country goes bankrupt.

WHERE in that quote did it say we shouldn't combat terrorism or drugs ?????

Please point that out.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:21 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
It's time to spend some of that considerable political capital. What the GOP thinks is irrelevant.
Right, because any views differing from your own are obviously wrong.

Your "open-mindedness" is appalling.

And for the record, anyone with a sense of economics knows that the appropriate action in recession is to lower taxes. Despite the fact that is may run up deficits. Long run economic growth does not come cheap.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Looks like time for a walk down memory lane...

"Let me put it to you this way: I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it. It is my style." and "I've got will of the people"

George Bush, Nov 5, 2004.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:33 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In a news story just reported, Obama had met today with members of both parties to brainstorm about the economy and how best to stimulate it. As usual, the Democrats talked about a "rebate" or stimulus of $500. The Republicans, on the other hand, suggested cutting the tax rates (the smarter way to go in my opinion).

Obama has said that he was willing to listen to all arguments, partisan pollitics asside. Oh really?

Of course, when the vote came, the Democrats won. I guess there was still some discussion and arguing going on, but Obama said "End of discussion, I won".

I'm not liking what I see here one bit. This man is everything we feared.
And you completely overlook the fact that he actually met with them to discuss options and get everyone's input, which, based on your quote, he seems to have done. Yes, he did say 'I won', and what do we think he meant by that? That some majority of the population believes that his ideas are valid and should be given more weight than those of the 'other side.' That's what I take it to mean.
Sort of like President Bush, when he declared himself 'The Decider.'

Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 PM

492 posts, read 961,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ
Link, please?

And I'm beginning to think your username is a stutter.
Quote:
There is no link. It was just on the TV news.
Can you repeat that, please?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Obama has said that he was willing to listen to all arguments, partisan pollitics asside. Oh really?

Of course, when the vote came, the Democrats won. I guess there was still some discussion and arguing going on, but Obama said "End of discussion, I won".
Someone has to win. What should he have said, "I lost?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections