Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:09 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
SUMTER, SC (WIS) - A Midlands parent called us about a shirt with President Barack Obama on it, that she says her child was not allowed to wear to his public elementary school.

"He's our first black President of the United States," says fifth-grader Elijah Smith. "It makes me real proud."

Smith was excited to wear his Barack Obama shirt to school Tuesday, but then had second thoughts.

"That morning he stated that he may not be able to wear the shirt," says Elijah's mother Veneica Byrd.

"That's the principal's rules," says Elijah.

Elijah's mother says she immediately called Principal Liz Compton at Sumter's High Hills Elementary School.

"I did speak with Mrs. Compton, and she did state that it would not be a good idea for Elijah to wear the shirt," says Byrd. "I proceeded to ask her why, and she said that she didn't want to cause any conflict. What she really meant by that in details I'm not sure, but she was very vague with her answer."
The shirt in question:

Yeah, that's extremely offensive.

WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina | Principal forbids 5th grader to wear Obama shirt to school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 03:30 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,939,936 times
Personally, I side with the principal. The question isn't whether the shirt is offensive, it's about distraction. The principal's trying to make sure students pay attention to math class, not what some other student's wearing. This election has created strong feelings on both sides, that could make a shirt like this distracting.

Last edited by normie; 01-24-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,834 times
Our local High School forbid students from wearing candidate shirts. Whats wrong with that?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:39 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,105,307 times
I side with the principal. In my opinion I think all schools, public and private, should require school uniforms.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM

37,179 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
I side with the principal. In my opinion I think all schools, public and private, should require school uniforms.
Absolutely, the principal is correct, and I have been an Obama supporter since he started his run.

Schools have every right to eliminate anything that can be disruptive, and living in South Carolina, I can assure you that that shirt would be disruptive and may start a fight. The first amendment does not apply to students in schools.

School uniforms would eliminate the display of a lot of differences, political and otherwise. That is a most excellent idea.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:20 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
All schools should have a strict dress code.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Our local High School forbid students from wearing candidate shirts. Whats wrong with that?
Candidate? He's the damned President of the United States. Absent a requirement for school uniforms, wearing a shirt with the image of the President of the United States is clearly free expression as numerous decisions by the Supreme Court amply point out.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,089 times
Dress codes are great when theyre executed correctly. Our district has strongly opposed a wide dress code policy because the "test school" abused the dress code/uniform in question. They made it impossibly difficult to obtain the clothes (especially in a very rural and poorer area) and there were so many rules, the teachers became more worried about critisizing every little thing about what students are wearing, rather than teaching. It turned many people against the policy, including myself. Uniforms are great for schools that can handle it and have some common sense, around here thats not common.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:25 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
I doubt that this is politicallty motivated in any way. I'm sure they do not allow "I Love W" shirts either. Such things are not approriate for school attire any more than a shirt with a pot leaf on it.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Personally, I side with the principal. The question isn't whether the shirt is offensive, it's about distraction. The principal's trying to make sure students pay attention to math class, not what some other student's wearing. This election has created strong feelings on both sides, that could make a shirt like this distracting.
What?

He is the President of the United States. How is the shirt a distraction? The district doesn't have a uniform policy, so what the kid wanted to wear is within the school district dress code. I highly doubt someone wearing an Obama shirt is going to distract a kid away from focusing on Math. I had Math class the day I wore my Obama shirt this week, and you know, it was no different than any other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections