Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

I hope Obama sticks to his guns and passes the new SCHIP law just like it is. (disclaimer- I have extended family that will benefit). The Republicans for years have basically told the children of working people to go suffer and die. I am glad to see change is coming!

New dynamic in children's health debate - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_go_ot/children_s_health - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:06 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Shows you just how much the GOP cares about the average dude and dudette in this nation. It's their standard mantra of "if you want health care, go get it for yourself."

The cowardly and unspoken GOP message for many years has been the YOYO principal, i.e., "You're On Your Own" and if you can't afford health insurance, it must be YOUR own fault for being such a slacker.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:18 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times
Quote:
When the bill comes up, Republicans are expected to push for an amendment that would keep children of newer legal immigrants out of SCHIP or Medicaid. By allowing for such coverage, they claim Democrats have turned what could have been a simple renewal of SCHIP into a debate about immigration.

"Why would anyone want to bring one of the most divisive and contentious and passionate issues of the last decade into this debate?" Roberts said during a Senate Finance Committee hearing.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Friday that investing in children's health coverage brings savings down the road because those kids are more likely to become productive adults. "Some people want to make this a debate about immigration. This isn't a debate about immigration. It's a debate about taking care of our children, children who are here legally," Reid said
And the GOP wonders why they are shrinking and perceived as anti-immigrant?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,686 times
If you all want to turn the nation into a gigantic grab bag, go ahead. Just don't come looking for me and all I've made when it all fails. The least you can do before you make such general, broad brushing statements, is read history. Start with the imploding of the Roman empire and move forward from there. It will give you some concept behind the idea of building a nation from hard work and "what can I do for my country" to "Give me something for nothing cause I breathe" and see where it all leads!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
And the GOP wonders why they are shrinking and perceived as anti-immigrant?
True. Not only anti-immigrant, but viciously anti-black. In this country, welfare, food stamps, medicaid, AFDC, and other program terms are used as code words by white racists to mean any aid given to the poor black segment of our population. Truth is, there are a LOT of white folks getting this assistance too. GOP message to the poor and the sick: YOYO, work for it.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:19 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
True. Not only anti-immigrant, but viciously anti-black. In this country, welfare, food stamps, medicaid, AFDC, and other program terms are used as code words by white racists to mean any aid given to the poor black segment of our population. Truth is, there are a LOT of white folks getting this assistance too. GOP message to the poor and the sick: YOYO, work for it.
Wrong. When giving people who need help the "fish" instead of the "fishing pole", you're not helping them, but making them more dependent on you.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:33 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Wrong. When giving people who need help the "fish" instead of the "fishing pole", you're not helping them, but making them more dependent on you.
I know someone who works full and part time Their spouse works full time and can't afford health coverage for their 3 children because their spouse is diabetic! They payed nearly 900 dollars a month on health ins!Sorry the have poles in both hands they need fish!Or are they to lazy to diserve help?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
I notice that most of the people I know that oppose affordable health care for the middle class and poor have a great health care plan wholly or mostly paid for by their employers or some other entity. People who can afford it, generally have it provided. Then we ask minimum wage workers who can't afford it to figure out how to get it on their own--even when it will usually take their entire salary.

So they get none. Then, they go to emergency rooms which have to take them and which are expensive, and they are unable to pay the bill. I suspect if these folks had affordable health care that the cost to the health care system would be less and there would end up being a net savings. In addition, they would be able to get preventive care that might keep the emergencies requiring surgery and hospitalization from happening.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:41 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I never thought that you would sink to such an intellectually low level. But you did.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
Several years ago--close to thirty--a friend of mine who is very astute said to me once when one of these debates was going on, "Have you ever noticed that people who make over $100,000 a year can't understand why others can't make it on minimum wage?"

Change that to over $250,000 a year now. And they usually tell the very poor who are working harder and more hours than they are for much less money that they are lazy or they would be able to have everything they need.

In my opinion, minimum wage is corporate welfare. We allow companies to pay people starvation wages. The people are forced to go on food stamps, chips, and other programs. The company is who gets the benefit. They pay their employers less, increase their profits, and are the true recipients of the government money that the employees are getting for the chips and food stamps since the companies do not have to pay it or provide a salary that would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections