Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You're right there were no ties. However the very last draw for him was our aid being turned into his own personal funding. In place of US dollars in the oil for food program the Iraqi people got rotted food and shoddy supplies while his military built up. In 30 years no one will say Iraq would have been better off under Hussein and then later passed off to his two equally tyrannical sons leaving us and the rest of the world with decades more of the Hussein policy leaving the people of Iraq with no choices other than to just accept conditions as they could never liberate their own country themselves. Saddam made sure that they had the fear of god in them. Read some of the accounts of the mass murders he committed. And while in retrospect the reasons for invading were false the reports verifies there was no political influence in the intel assessments.
Fair enough but excuse me when two extremely large skyscrapers are brought down just down the street from where I work,and I am ready for blood! I put all political differences aside and support my president in whatever he asks! Later I find that he only half heartedly goes after those responsible, and instead starts a war with someone else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Now I have to listen to these hard rightwingers invoke 9/11 when they have no idea about what that day means to some of us! They actually try to use it against us NYers!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Obama is wanting to expand it...simply stating the truth.

It is looking messy for him already,having ordered the killing of innocent civilians.
Tell me why he wants to expand it ... any clue?

Or maybe we should go and attack North Korea since they had nothing to do with 9-11 ...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

Or maybe we should go and attack North Korea since they had nothing to do with 9-11 ...

Actually, I'd rather that you or someone else here explain to us why Obama wants to expand the "war" in Afghanistan. Does he/do you seriously believe that we can somehow find and destroy the Taliban infrastructure and leaders, when the Red Army was unabe to do so? In other words, fight a convetional land war against irregular forces, supplied by the drug trade which they control and supported by a populace which is either terrified into compliance or supporting the malgnant form of Islam of the Taliban?

And if we do succeed -- a concept which neither Mr. Obama nor anyone else has defined -- what will we have? A burned out husk of a country and every "progressive" group in the world proclaiming our brutality in having had to kill so many civilians and inflict so much collateral damage that we supplanted the Taliban as the terrorists. How many villages will we have to burn, in other words, to save them?

This thread was started as a way to get people to think about the frightening similarities between Vietnam /Iraq and the new President's stated interest in waging war in Afghanistan without reason, strategy, or goal. The link provided referred to a well-thought-out analysis of that position. The references to Bush in this thread are irrelevant, except as implied reminders of the potential for blundering that every President must navigate at his peril. In case we haven't noticed, Bush is no longer President and Mr. Obama is now Commander-in-Chief. If he expands the campaign in Afghanistan, it becomes his war, just as much as Vietnam became President Johnson's. The similarity is frightening and should be cause for apprehension among all of us, regardless of political stripe.

Vietnam broke Johnson's presidency and divided the nation for a generation. Afghanistan has the potential to do the same. I strongly advise Mr. Obama to go slow in establishing his macho cred.

It amazes me that so many here pretend to disagree with me...

Old 01-26-2009, 07:06 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Just so we're clear...Iraq bad, Afghanistan good?
Yes. Why is that so complicated?

Old 01-26-2009, 07:08 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
It seems you would like to make Hussein out to be an innocent actor.
Hussein tried to kill the man who double-crossed him and smashed his country. Well, that wasn't good form under the Marquess of Queensbury rules, but it had nothing to do with 9/11!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Fair enough but excuse me when two extremely large skyscrapers are brought down just down the street from where I work,and I am ready for blood! I put all political differences aside and support my president in whatever he asks! Later I find that he only half heartedly goes after those responsible, and instead starts a war with someone else!
Oh no, no, no!

Don't you remember? It was Bush & Cheney who personally installed all those explosives in the WTC Towers. Come on, surely you know the facts!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Oh no, no, no!

Don't you remember? It was Bush & Cheney who personally installed all those explosives in the WTC Towers. Come on, surely you know the facts!
And the levees in New Orleans...

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Do you need everything repeated to you! I support bringing those responsible for 9/11 to justice!
Well...that isn't the Taliban.

The Taliban DID provide Al Qaeda safe haven prior to 9/11 however.

Should the USA be fighting the Taliban?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post

To nation build...

The Taliban is not Al Qaeda.

The Taliban is evil but so what???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections