Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 03:54 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,411,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So because the last POTUS cared little,this POTUS caring little as well is okay?

Hmmm,that isn't much in the way of change.

By the way,could you give a list of the way Bush didn't care about the BOR?

I would like to compare it to Obama and what he has stated he would do.

Patriot Act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,964,126 times
Quote:
So because the last POTUS cared little,this POTUS caring little as well is okay?

By the way,could you give a list of the way Bush didn't care about the BOR (Bill of Rights)?

• Illegal Wiretaps. [ To quote Nixon ... "When the president does it ... that means it's not illegal" !!! ]
  • Investigating what specific library materials people check out. [ What is this ... Orwell's 1984?]
  • Detaining people in prisons without telling them why they are being held.

At least Obama is a Constitutional Scholar, and understands the basic rights of Americans under the law.

Which once again, makes me VERY happy to have him as our President!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:32 PM

37,053 posts, read 18,956,811 times
Quote:

By the way,could you give a list of the way Bush didn't care about the BOR?

You should read the BOR, or reread it if it has been a while.

Pay particular attention to #1 & #4, then read "Bill of Wrongs" by Molly Ivins (exhaustively researched and footnoted) to get a counterpoint on the First, then tell us about warrantless wiretapping as viewed against the perspective of the Fourth.

You will then be on the way to compiling a starter list of Bush vs. the Constitution moments.

Collect Them All!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 PM

24,484 posts, read 33,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Patriot Act.
The same Patriot Act which passed through Congrees?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,826,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Patriot Act.
Obama supported it...voted for it.

Hmmm..........

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Illegal Wiretaps. [ To quote Nixon ... "When the president does it ... that means it's not illegal" !!! ]
Obama supports warrantless wiretaps.
Quote:
Investigating what specific library materials people check out. [ What is this ... Orwell's 1984?]
No idea about this,could you provide some more info??

Quote:
Detaining people in prisons without telling them why they are being held.
I am not sure what Obam has planned for those at Gitmo,do you?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You should read the BOR, or reread it if it has been a while.

Pay particular attention to #1 & #4, then read "Bill of Wrongs" by Molly Ivins (exhaustively researched and footnoted) to get a counterpoint on the First, then tell us about warrantless wiretapping as viewed against the perspective of the Fourth.

You will then be on the way to compiling a starter list of Bush vs. the Constitution moments.

Collect Them All!
As already stated Obama supports warrantless wiretaps.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,964,126 times
Quote:
Obama supports warrantless wiretaps.

No idea about this,could you provide some more info??

I am not sure what Obam has planned for those at Gitmo,do you?
Obama supports Warrantless Wiretaps under FISA court supervision.... not Illegal Wiretaps, as Bush was doing. There is a difference:

Political Punch: Obama's FISA Shift

Quote:
"My (Barack Obama) view on FISA has always been that the issue with phone companies per se is not one that overrides security interests of the American people," Obama told reporters on June 25. "It is a close call for me but I think the current legislation with exclusivity provision that says that a president -- whether George Bush, myself or John McCain -- can’t make up rationales for getting around FISA court, can’t suggest that somehow that there is some law that stands above the laws passed by Congress in engaging in warrantless wiretaps."
Obama also said the FISA compromise was an improvement since it would put an "inspector general in place to investigate what happened previously gives us insight what has happened retrospectively. So, you know, that in my mind met my basic concerns and given that all the information I received is the underlying program itself actually is important and useful to American security as long as it has these constraints on them. I thought it was more important for me to go ahead and support this compromise."
Regarding the Library question, see this:

Checking What You Check Out - TIME

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,832,897 times
Obamas stimulus package passes without a republican makes me happy!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Obamas stimulus package passes without a republican makes me happy!
Me too....

It means when the nation collapses it will ALL be on the Democrats.

SIX HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS MORE for the federal government to buy cars on TOP of the THREE BILLION DOLLARS a year it already spends...

And y'all are HAPPY it has passed????

Read what is being funded...or is it simply because it is a Dem package?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections