U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
25,075 posts, read 32,487,487 times
Reputation: 10650

Advertisements

Lots of new blue counties....just noticed that there were only 5 counties on the ENTIRE west coast that voted for McCain.


Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 11,368,171 times
Reputation: 6179
Evidently, every county in New Hampshire voted majority for Obama!! I thought NH was considered a swing state.

I wonder what the correlation is, at least culturally, between New England, and the slow transformation of one party Democrat rule, over the past 25 years? In most cases, I cite demographics, i.e. the larger the % of non-whites in a county, the higher the voting % is for Democrats. However, most of New England is very, very white. And yet, you see here in this map, almost a complete sweep, by county in New England, for Obama.

I'd love somehow to be able to view a slideshow, of the last 8 presidential elections from Reagan forward, to bear out this evidence, as it pertains to the New England area going from red to blue. For instance, I'd be willing to surmise that in 1980, the presidential election map for NE was at the very least, 50-50 for Reagan over Carter, if not even higher.

In any event, 18Montclair, that's a good job by you finding this map. It's very interesting.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: DC Metro/NoVA
1,710 posts, read 3,675,844 times
Reputation: 743
I luv my red Midwest! Yay!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,127 posts, read 21,481,237 times
Reputation: 4728
Interesting map - thanks for posting it.

While it does represent the U.S., I think it's probably more appropriate in the politics>elections room since it involves election/voting trends, don't ya think? So - moving there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: New York, New York
4,828 posts, read 4,104,903 times
Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Evidently, every county in New Hampshire voted majority for Obama!! I thought NH was considered a swing state.

I wonder what the correlation is, at least culturally, between New England, and the slow transformation of one party Democrat rule, over the past 25 years? In most cases, I cite demographics, i.e. the larger the % of non-whites in a county, the higher the voting % is for Democrats. However, most of New England is very, very white. And yet, you see here in this map, almost a complete sweep, by county in New England, for Obama.

I'd love somehow to be able to view a slideshow, of the last 8 presidential elections from Reagan forward, to bear out this evidence, as it pertains to the New England area going from red to blue. For instance, I'd be willing to surmise that in 1980, the presidential election map for NE was at the very least, 50-50 for Reagan over Carter, if not even higher.

In any event, 18Montclair, that's a good job by you finding this map. It's very interesting.
Along with the upper midwest with states like Iowa and Wisconsin!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 12,009,449 times
Reputation: 2457
Makes you realise how much of the nation did not support Obama.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
8,968 posts, read 8,536,181 times
Reputation: 3285
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Makes you realise how much of the nation did not support Obama.
Well, considering that overall more people voted for him (9.5 million more), then you're wrong. Now, if you mean more counties, then you might be right. Some counties can have like 1,000 voters in it (if that) though (like some in West Texas).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
 
16,027 posts, read 15,844,003 times
Reputation: 7041
Interesting that western AK and most of SE are such a lovely azure shade.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 02:10 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,030 posts, read 13,949,077 times
Reputation: 4900
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Makes you realise how much of the nation did not support Obama.
Unfortunately for you, much of that territory has hardly any people in it.
People vote, acreage doesn't.

Ken

PS - The ENTIRE STATE of Oklahoma (for example) has less than half the population of NYC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
 
Location: North Cackelacky....in the hills.
19,556 posts, read 12,009,449 times
Reputation: 2457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Well, considering that overall more people voted for him (9.5 million more), then you're wrong. Now, if you mean more counties, then you might be right. Some counties can have like 1,000 voters in it (if that) though (like some in West Texas).
Yep 9.5 million out of 300 million chose Obama over dem-lite McCain....
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top