Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,779,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I want chocolate, obviously.
There is always so much delicious looking chocolate around me, but I'm happily married to a vanilla .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:24 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
On last Friday's episode of Friday Night Lights, the school hottie won the election over the studious candidate with student government experience because the school hottie pointed out that nobody would get laid at the prom if the studious candidate were elected.

I think my point is obvious.

Friday Night Lights gets it. Now, can I have sorbet instead of ice cream?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
On last Friday's episode of Friday Night Lights, the school hottie won the election over the studious candidate with student government experience because the school hottie pointed out that nobody would get laid at the prom if the studious candidate were elected.

Are you saying Obama is going to get us all laid???

Because I have to confess right here and now. I would totally hit that.

PLEASE nobody tell my husband.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL!!!!!!!! Keep trying to rep ya but apparently, I've handed out too much love in the past 24 hours. You know us damned liberal hippie butt sex lazy people...we just can't stop giving out love. And lying around waiting for handouts.

You know...somehow this story sounds suspiciously familiar...hmmm. I think, however, that the last time I heard it, the person had already promised ice cream, had delivered bombs instead, and was re-promising ice cream while people blindly continued to believe him. Then he ended up taking everyone else's ice cream and giving it to people who already had waaaaaaaaay too much of it............
Worth reading again! Good one and true!

Old 01-30-2009, 09:25 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post

Are you sure this was Friday Night Lights cause I swear I've seen this before and I've never watched that show...hmmm....high school hottie wins against a not so hot nerd....damn why does that sound familiar.

Oh wait was it She's All That?!? No, no,no they were running for homecoming queen or something.

It was Teen Witch!?! No,no,no they were auditioning for a part in a play.

Oh it's that movie election where the cute but very dumb jock runs up against the overachiever, right? I knew I would get it. That is such an orginal plot.

And we're out of Sorbet.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Who worries about the cow when it is all about the ice cream

From a teacher in the Nashville area:

Who worries about the cow when it is all about the ice cream?

The most eye-opening civics lesson I ever had was while teaching third grade this year.

The presidential election was heating up and some of the children showed an interest. I decided we would have an election for a class president. We would choose our nominees. They would make a campaign speech and the class would vote.

To simplify the process, candidates were nominated by other class members. We discussed what kinds of characteristics these students should have. We got many nominations and from those, Jamie and Olivia were picked to run for the top spot.
The class had done a great job in their selections.

Both candidates were good kids. I thought Jamie might have an advantage because he got lots of parental support. I had never seen Olivia's mother.

The day arrived when they were to make their speeches Jamie went first He had specific ideas about how to make our class a better place. He ended by promising to do his very best.

Everyone applauded. He sat down and Olivia came to the podium. Her speech was concise.

She said, "If you will vote for me, I will give you ice cream" She sat down.

The class went wild. "Yes! Yes! We want ice cream."

She surely could say more. She did not have to.

A discussion followed. How did she plan to pay for the ice cream? She wasn't sure. Would her parents buy it or would the class pay for it? She didn't know.
The class really didn't care. All they were thinking about was ice cream.

Jamie was forgotten. Olivia won by a landslide.

Every time Barack Obama opened his mouth he offered ice cream and 52% of the people reacted like nine year olds. They want ice cream.

The other 48% of us know we're going to have to feed the cow and clean up the mess.

I wish I could add to this but there really is nothing else to say.
There's plenty to add!!

You see, after the election Jamie walked out of the classroom crying and complaining and agonizing over his missteps . He walked home and laid down on couch and as he dozed off he remembered...

He remembered the day that a group of wild cattle rumbled through town and knocked over this model made of Legos made for Show and Tell the next day. It had been put together by him and his classmates. It was really cool!

He was so mad he grabbed his BB gun and said he was going to go knock-off a few cows. Some of his classmates questioned him and asked, "Jamie, are you sure?" "You betcha," said Jamie but he wasn't really and it showed. Jamie then added that those "cows have Mad Cow disease - nobody likes Mad Cow disease!!" And with a calculated grin he added, "Or do ya?"

So Jamie and a few of the others went to a nearby farm and started shooting. They nailed one real good when the rancher came out and said, "WTF!!" The rancher went on to explain that these cows were on the property the whole time and were not strong enough to hurt a chicken . And on top of that, they didn't have Mad Cow disease...

"Well, since you shot him you bought him," said the rancher. So Jamie took the money in his pocket that he was holding for the school's ice cream party and handed it over to the rancher. "Now git!!" said the man and Jamie and his buddies walked back to the school with the cow in tow.

When he got back to school with the news (and the cow), his classmates were suprised, angry, and disappointed. Jamie tried to rationalize but couldn't. And even if he could it wouldn't work because there were a lot of smart kids in this school...tops in the district, as they say.

"Who's going to feed him?" they asked.

"We are..." Jamie answered.

"Who's going to clean up after him?"

"We are..."

"Waitaminute...!! Who owns this cow anyway??!?"

"We do..."

"We won't forget this, Jamie..."

Old 01-30-2009, 10:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
There's plenty to add!!

You see, after the election Jamie walked out of the classroom crying and complaining and agonizing over his missteps . He walked home and laid down on couch and as he dozed off he remembered...
Fantastic!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
So Jamie took the money in his pocket that he was holding for the school's ice cream party and handed it over to the rancher.
Ahhh so even though Olivia promised the ice cream, Jamie was the one that actually had the money. I get it now! Level playing field, my ass

Old 02-01-2009, 08:11 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Are you sure this was Friday Night Lights cause I swear I've seen this before and I've never watched that show...hmmm....high school hottie wins against a not so hot nerd....damn why does that sound familiar.

Oh wait was it She's All That?!? No, no,no they were running for homecoming queen or something.

It was Teen Witch!?! No,no,no they were auditioning for a part in a play.

Oh it's that movie election where the cute but very dumb jock runs up against the overachiever, right? I knew I would get it. That is such an orginal plot.

And we're out of Sorbet.
Well, it was a tangential plot point. Don't go dissin' on my Friday Night Lights!

Old 02-01-2009, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Sounds like my high school, LOL! I'll take Rocky Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections