Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:23 AM

7,512 posts, read 11,308,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
$335 million for education related to sexually transmitted diseases

"We have yet to hear any reasonable rationale for how this creates any jobs in the private sector," Paige tod "GMA."

$650 million for coupons to help people make the switch to digital TV

$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts

$200 million for the U.S. Geological Survey to monitor earthquakes and volcanoes

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Business/story?id=6757733&page=1
I saw Barack on Tv yesterday criticizing the Wall Street executives for fat bonuses even after getting bailout money as an example of irresponsible managing of our tax dollars but can't the same be said about the pork in this stimulus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,046,194 times
These arent irresponsible...except the digital TV conversion thing.

The arts have been radically cut in schools, to our great and national detriment. "The National Endowment for the Arts is a public agency dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education. Vision: A nation in which artistic excellence is celebrated, supported, and available to all Americans." NEA At A Glance

earthquakes and volcanoes... if disaster is coming, isnt it good to let people know? These things have to be measured.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,722,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I saw Barack on Tv yesterday criticizing the Wall Street executives for fat bonuses even after getting bailout money as an example of irresponsible managing of our tax dollars but can't the same be said about the pork in this stimulus?
In general the responses from the Obama supporters will probably be:
"You LOST SORE LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or
"After what Bush did now you care?" or
"Look at the debt the Republican congress made!"

Most answers I've seen seem to be along one of those lines.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,766,709 times
He said he would veto anything with pork in it during the election, we will see how much of his rhetoric is true... I remember... LINE BY LINE... he was going over it and that he VOWED that he would EXPOSE whoever made the pork in the package and embarrass that person... apparently there is a LOT of pork... we will see how much transparency and accountability he is talking about...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

The arts have been cut back in schools to our great and national detriment. NEA At A Glance

earthquakes and volcanoes... if disaster is coming, isnt it good to let people know? These things have to be measured.
Oh I thought the stimulus was about creating jobs.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM

419 posts, read 601,333 times
its turning into republicans spent on iraq now democrats can spend on whatever we want to.

I want to ask Obama how 150 million for honeybee insurance is going to create jobs

Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
He said he would veto anything with pork in it during the election, we will see how much of his rhetoric is true... I remember... LINE BY LINE... he was going over it and that he VOWED that he would EXPOSE whoever made the pork in the package and embarrass that person... apparently there is a LOT of pork... we will see how much transparency and accountability he is talking about...
Yeah that policy will hold up as well as his ethics policy that he started getting waivers for 24 hours later.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,766,709 times
It will create jobs for the honeybees of course! lol...

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 AM

7,512 posts, read 11,308,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post

The arts have been cut back in schools to our great and national detriment. "The National Endowment for the Arts is a public agency dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts, both new and established; bringing the arts to all Americans; and providing leadership in arts education. Vision: A nation in which artistic excellence is celebrated, supported, and available to all Americans." NEA At A Glance

But why are those things included in a economic stimulus? Can't those thing above be dealt with seperately from this economic stimulus? I mean the gov't really needs to prioritize how they use our tax dollars.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:35 AM

419 posts, read 601,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Oh I thought the stimulus was about creating jobs.
I thought it was about creating jobs also
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections