Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
How do you register as an independent?
WikiAnswers - How do I register as an Independent voter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:43 PM

37,175 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Thanks. I never knew that.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I never knew that.
Some states allow independents to vote for any party in the primary. In other states they are shut out from the primary. If allowed it is open if not closed.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:52 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
How do you register as an independent?
Contact your local registrar. Now depending on the state you live in, you may not get to vote in the primaries because most states don't allow independents to vote in primaries.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Brown support?...What brown support? The GOP is the party of white racists...having Steele as party chairman will fool few and is not going to change their true identity.
The Democrats have a former KKK member, Byrd, in the Senate and he has been there for 40 years. The Democrats (Al Gore Sr.) opposed civil rights; if not for the Republicans it would not have passed. Jesse Jackson (Democrat) calls NYC "Hymietown". My hometown of Boston is run completely by Democrats and Boston residents fought school integration with bricks thrown at school buses. To this date, many people view Boston as a racist city and black professional athletes do not want to play there. Democrats block school choice (vouchers) which inner city parents (mostly minorities) want.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
The Democrats have a former KKK member, Byrd, in the Senate and he has been there for 40 years. The Democrats (Al Gore Sr.) opposed civil rights; if not for the Republicans it would not have passed. Jesse Jackson (Democrat) calls NYC "Hymietown". My hometown of Boston is run completely by Democrats and Boston residents fought school integration with bricks thrown at school buses. To this date, many people view Boston as a racist city and black professional athletes do not want to play there. Democrats block school choice (vouchers) which inner city parents (mostly minorities) want.
Boston has a rich deep history of racism and Southies didn't like Blacks being there after dark.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:06 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,967 times
Quote:

That's nice, but here are some interesting facts...At the 2008 RNC convention there were only 36 black delegates, approximately 1.5%, the lowest total in 40 years. In fact, 24 state delegations had no black members at all. There is excuse for numbers like that, and they say one thing....the GOP has become the party of whites.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
That's nice, but here are some interesting facts...At the 2008 RNC convention there were only 36 black delegates, approximately 1.5%, the lowest total in 40 years. In fact, 24 state delegations had no black members at all. There is excuse for numbers like that, and they say one thing....the GOP has become the party of whites.
C'mon Upton, the republicans are reaching out....Michael Steele is no token black.....

Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:

You know, enough of the Robert Byrd was a KKK member 70 years ago bs. Personally, I'm not into banning people for life after they have repeatedly and publicly apologized and over the course of their career have demonstrated the sincerity of their apology.

As for Gore opposing the Civil Rights Bill, so did George H.W. Bush, but I find nothing in his subsequent terms of office for which to excoriate him for. This whole Democratic Party of Racism vs the Party of Lincoln crap is dated and ahistorical.

Just last night I found a reference to this 1884 quote by T. Thomas Fortune.

The "party of great moral ideas," having emancipated the slave, and enfranchised disorganized ignorance and poverty, finally finished its mission, relinquished its right to the respect and confidence of mankind when, in 1876, it abandoned all effort to enforce the provisions of the war amendments. That party stands today for organized corruption, while its opponent stands for organized brigandage. The black man, who was betrayed by his party and murdered by the opponents of his party, is absolved from all allegiance which gratitude may have dictated,"

Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You know, enough of the Robert Byrd was a KKK member 70 years ago bs. Personally, I'm not into banning people for life after they have repeatedly and publicly apologized and over the course of their career have demonstrated the sincerity of their apology.

As for Gore opposing the Civil Rights Bill, so did George H.W. Bush, but I find nothing in his subsequent terms of office for which to excoriate him for. This whole Democratic Party of Racism vs the Party of Lincoln crap is dated and ahistorical.

Just last night I found a reference to this 1884 quote by T. Thomas Fortune.

The "party of great moral ideas," having emancipated the slave, and enfranchised disorganized ignorance and poverty, finally finished its mission, relinquished its right to the respect and confidence of mankind when, in 1876, it abandoned all effort to enforce the provisions of the war amendments. That party stands today for organized corruption, while its opponent stands for organized brigandage. The black man, who was betrayed by his party and murdered by the opponents of his party, is absolved from all allegiance which gratitude may have dictated,"
Wow T. Thomas Fortune, hmm! New good things to learn.

The right-wingers who tell you the RP is the party of Lincoln - I've heard Rush Limbaugh say that - are just hoping you wont check it out - that you'll just remain good little sheep and BELIEVE WHATEVER THEY TELL YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections