Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
I'm sorry, but there just seems to be something not right about loading up a STIMULUS bill with bene's for your supporters. If that is fine with you, geoff, then I guess we have a calibration point on you! Personally, I was hoping (there's that word) that we would see change (another one) that would not be more of the divisive politics of the past 16 years. And yes that includes both Bush and Clinton years!
To butcher The Princess Bride regarding "loading up," I do not think that phrase means what you think it does. If you get a steak at a buffet and you throw on a few pieces of lettuce, are you "loading up" the plate with lettuce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:45 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
To butcher The Princess Bride regarding "loading up," I do not think that phrase means what you think it does. If you get a steak at a buffet and you throw on a few pieces of lettuce, are you "loading up" the plate with lettuce?
Depends on two things.

1. Is there additional charge for the lettuce
2. Is someone else paying the tab like a taxpayer?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:03 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Regardless of whether the 2% of the stimulus is pork, according to the Grand Old "Hope Obama Fails" Party - let's get this back to the point of the OP:

Where is the evidence that Pelosi and Reid are playing Obama?

(chirp)

Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Regardless of whether the 2% of the stimulus is pork, according to the Grand Old "Hope Obama Fails" Party - let's get this back to the point of the OP:

Where is the evidence that Pelosi and Reid are playing Obama?

(chirp)
The OP was wondering not stating.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The OP was wondering not stating.
Yes, you are right. The OP was wondering without evidence. And the OP had several defenders here, who were agreeing that it was true, also without evidence.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Yes, you are right. The OP was wondering without evidence. And the OP had several defenders here, who were agreeing that it was true, also without evidence.
95% of the threads in this forum are without evidence and that includes both sides.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
95% of the threads in this forum are without evidence and that includes both sides.
Excellent defense. "Everyone else is arguing without evidence, so I will too!"

Old 02-04-2009, 11:58 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
You better believe Pelosi and Reid are trying to pull the strings and the Dems loaded up with that bill with all sorts of gifties for their interests. Obama needs to slap them down BIG-TIME. Pelosi especially has been mouthing off about him and trying to put him under her thumb. He'd best take a stand NOW and let her know in no uncertain terms who's boss. If he doesn't, he'll become the puppet president I feared he'd be and I truly hope he doesn't.

I got to say it - when you are right, you are right. Pelosi was running her mouth before the inauguration as if, AS IF, she has a toe to stand on.
She's an idiot. Reid is an idiot. They were spineless two years ago and they are clueless now.
I don't think it was simple 'bi-partisanship' that led the president to spend so much time with the Republicans.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
Please please please show me where Pelosi "has been mouthing off about him and trying to put him under her thumb." I've been following politics reasonably closely the last few months, and have seen zero indication of this.
"Two days before Barack Obama’s Inauguration, the speaker showed off a new move — using the media to keep even a Democratic president from wandering onto her turf.

Pelosi used a Fox News appearance Sunday to break with the president-elect on two key issues: the fate of President George W. Bush’s tax cuts for families earning $250,000 or more and the possibility of congressional investigations into the actions of Bush administration officials."

Pelosi draws her lines with Obama - Glenn Thrush - Politico.com

And this:
"In talks with Emanuel and others, sources say, Pelosi has “set parameters” for what she wants from Barack Obama and his White House staff — no surprises, and no backdoor efforts to go around her and other Democratic leaders by cutting deals with moderate New Democrats or conservative Blue Dogs.

Specifically, Pelosi has told Emanuel that she wants to know when representatives of the incoming administration have any contact with her rank-and-file Democrats — and why, sources say."

Pelosi lays down the law with Rahm - John Bresnahan - Politico.com

Clearly, she has her own agenda.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Two days before Barack Obama’s Inauguration, the speaker showed off a new move — using the media to keep even a Democratic president from wandering onto her turf.

Pelosi used a Fox News appearance Sunday to break with the president-elect on two key issues: the fate of President George W. Bush’s tax cuts for families earning $250,000 or more and the possibility of congressional investigations into the actions of Bush administration officials."

Pelosi draws her lines with Obama - Glenn Thrush - Politico.com

And this:
"In talks with Emanuel and others, sources say, Pelosi has “set parameters” for what she wants from Barack Obama and his White House staff — no surprises, and no backdoor efforts to go around her and other Democratic leaders by cutting deals with moderate New Democrats or conservative Blue Dogs.

Specifically, Pelosi has told Emanuel that she wants to know when representatives of the incoming administration have any contact with her rank-and-file Democrats — and why, sources say."

Pelosi lays down the law with Rahm - John Bresnahan - Politico.com

Clearly, she has her own agenda.
Baloney. She is the head of one part of a separate but equal branch of the government. It is perfectly normal for her to lay out her expectations. (It would be news coming from a GOP Leader, but they are toadies - you expect that.) You've also pointed to one or two areas where she may have a disagreement with the course of action. But not on the goals.

Obama and Pelosi are working together. Nothing you've provided shows that she is undermining him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections