Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:04 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,150,257 times

Advertisements

Now this maybe a naive question, but why consider appointing the Assistant Secretary to whatever Secretary post you are looking to fill? Wouldn't it be nice to see someone who actually knows how the department works to be in charge instead of some figurehead?

I think it would be great to see someone with 20 years experience in the trenches of the department, who knows the system inside and out officially run the department. Why does it always have to be some rich person with nanny and tax problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:21 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
I hope the Republicans and others who didn't vote for Obama are enjoying these "victories" (if you can call nominees withdrawing their names from considerations because of tax issues "victories"), because it's probably about as big of a victory as you're going to get. Obama won a solid majority of the votes in the election, he and the Dems remain much more popular than the Republicans, and the stimulus plan still has good support.

And really, when the criticism reaches this level:

you can be sure things are going pretty smoothly. Criticizing Obama for leaving the White House when one of his nominees withdraws his name from consideration? Wow, national crisis. Can we recover?

Oh, and ontopic, I'm glad Daschle withdrew. His efforts on behalf of health care companies and his other post-Senate efforts would have made passing health care reform very challenging.
Public Support for Economic Recovery Plan Slips to 42%

Forty-two percent (42%) of the nation’s likely voters now support the president’s plan, roughly one-third of which is tax cuts with the rest new government spending.

Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/general_business/public_support_for_economic_recovery_plan_slips_to _42 - broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Inner circle of advisors - they can all read a vetting questionnaire. Obama ultimately had to decide which was more valuable - he chose Daschle. And he didnt say anything about it until just now, when he had to.

At least he's not hiring friends of old college roommates, though.

They can't find anyone who knew him.
But he did appoint basketball buddy from Chicago, Arne Duncan, then there's Rahm.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Public Support for Economic Recovery Plan Slips to 42%

Forty-two percent (42%) of the nation’s likely voters now support the president’s plan, roughly one-third of which is tax cuts with the rest new government spending.

Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢: The Most Comprehensive Public Opinion Site. (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/general_business/public_support_for_economic_recovery_plan_slips_to _42 - broken link)
That's why I said "good," not solid or overwhelming.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
They can't find anyone who knew him.
Good one!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
Man I wish Bush received the kind of welcome that Obama has, he probably wouldn't have gotten away with half the stuff he did.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,391,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Man I wish Bush received the kind of welcome that Obama has, he probably wouldn't have gotten away with half the stuff he did.

I didn't vote for Bush, but I am fairly certain his first month was smooth sailing in comparison.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I didn't vote for Bush, but I am fairly certain his first month was smooth sailing in comparison.
Thats what I meant, Obama has been criticized for everything, even things he hasn't done, if Bush had been treated that way right out the gate, we might not be in a recession and not be in a pointless and endless war.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:08 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I think it would be great to see someone with 20 years experience in the trenches of the department
20 years in the same dysfunctional department? It is about time we rid ourselves of career politicians, of BOTH parties.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:49 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,596,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Good Riddance!

Not only is Obama proving to be the most dishonest president in history, he's also the most inept at selecting decent staff.
lol...oh, you're serious.

Let's see, four people, divided by over 8thousand hired...vs. the prior 16 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections