Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:54 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Actually Geithner IS Treasury Secretary, and you aren't going to change that. So good for America, bad for your conscience I guess.
Yes, you're right, he's been confirmed. Daschle was the icing on the cake. He had to withdraw. I did hear on NPR today he will still be a major player in health care reform, if that makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 PM

88,544 posts, read 44,252,621 times
Quote:
And really, who cares what this guy Greider has to say? I've never heard of him before.
Educate yourself...

William Greider
William Greider: Author Profile & Information at Simon & Schuster
Tom Geoghegan - The Huffington Post: My Interview With William Greider

Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,408,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, you're right
Now you are enlightened.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM

956 posts, read 1,229,474 times
Quote:
You people are exactly whats wrong with politics today, its all a beauty pageant! screw if they're good leaders, I want white christian men with wives and children and a spotless record. Yeah I work in a restaurant while I'm going to school and try to get as much money back as I can, everyone does. ............!
I couldn't let this one go even though the thread doesn't deserve front and center again.

Nickeldude, clearly you are living in a very confused world. Where in this thread to you see anything at all that refers to the color of anyone's skin? Several of your posts keep bringing this up and I have to wonder why you're so obsessed over race.

Quote:
So what you're saying is you think you know better than Obama and most of congress. I really don't have to argue any of this. .......
That's right. You don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's not just "ironic", it's against the law to evade your taxes! I've said it over and over. If taxes are optional, I'm not paying this year. We've got kids in college, our investments are losing money, and I need every penny!
I'm with you. Let's not! I laugh when I think how I mark our calendar to be sure we get our estimated taxes in right on time. What for?

I didn't realize that paying taxes was optional.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,732,167 times
"I screwed up"....what a way with words. So...."Presidential", one might say.

What happened to Mr. Eloquent?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 PM

88,544 posts, read 44,252,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I'm with you. Let's not (pay taxes)! I laugh when I think how I mark our calendar to be sure we get our estimated taxes in right on time. What for?

I didn't realize that paying taxes was optional.
You'll love this - it's really catching on!

"Since my single, solitary vote is nothing more than a BB in a machine gun world, I intend to start practicing civil disobedience. In the case of Treasury Secretary Geithner, I am going to have a rubber stamp made that says "Tax Cheat!" in block letters. Every time I see a piece of paper currency with Geithner's signature on it, I am going to stamp over his name with my Tax Cheat stamp. Sure, this action is just as futile as my vote, but eventually maybe others will reach the same conclusion that I have: it is far past time to make our voices heard."

One of the comments suggested the stamp read: Obama's Tax Cheat - even better!

Where's the Change??: Civil Disobedience

Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I couldn't let this one go even though the thread doesn't deserve front and center again.

Nickeldude, clearly you are living in a very confused world. Where in this thread to you see anything at all that refers to the color of anyone's skin? Several of your posts keep bringing this up and I have to wonder why you're so obsessed over race.
I was referring to all of the previous presidents, thought I made that clear. But you're not disagreeing with my statement, just the way I worded it?
So what I'm saying is that for a long time the majority of people in America wanted a spotless white Christian man with a family. Does anyone disagree with tis?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:08 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,619,611 times
Quote:
I was referring to all of the previous presidents, thought I made that clear. But you're not disagreeing with my statement, just the way I worded it?
So what I'm saying is that for a long time the majority of people in America wanted a spotless white Christian man with a family. Does anyone disagree with tis?
so we almost got that. Half white Christian man with a nice family. Pretty good, I'd say, if that's all that we wanted. (Spotless is hard to come by).

you didn't answer the question that was posed by another poster, and I'm also interested in your answer: why do you keep bringing up race? Why does that matter?

Last edited by swbtoo; 02-10-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 01:06 PM

24,337 posts, read 22,887,254 times
Obama's next headline: " I failed."

Old 02-10-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
so we almost got that. Half white Christian man with a nice family. Pretty good, I'd say, if that's all that we wanted. (Spotless is hard to come by).

you didn't answer the question that was posed by another poster, and I'm also interested in your answer: why do you keep bringing up race? Why does that matter?
I don't keep bringing it up, theres one topic devoted to race, and in this one I just gave a blanket statement about all of our previous presidents, to say that they pretty much weren't all christian white men with families and a relatively spotless record is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections