U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Republican Candidates
John McCain 4 7.55%
Rudy Guiliani 16 30.19%
Newt Gingrich 5 9.43%
Mitt Romney 13 24.53%
Chuck Hagel 4 7.55%
Sam Brownback 2 3.77%
Tom Tancredo 2 3.77%
Mike Huckabee 5 9.43%
Jim Gilmore 0 0%
Fred Dalton 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:50 PM

186 posts, read 848,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

Guiliani did a great job at cleaning up NYC and that's what our country needs in this day and age. Our country needs to be cleaned up and I firmly believe Guiliani would be the best man for the job.
Rudy -and please correct me if I'm wrong- are loathed by most New Yorkers. They couldn't wait for him to get the hell outta office. If there would have been no 9/11 (where he was happy to pose left and right in the aftermath, but done precious little else) he wouldn't have a slightest chance to be considered.

Another thought, NYC crime rate did fall, but it wasn't neccessarily due to the rigorous policing, but rather attributed to the fact (according to the Economist/Statistician Steven Leavitt) that abortion has been made legal twenty odd years prior, and a whole new generation of gangsters and scum simply do not exist...

Sorry, but Guiliani would be huge mistake for the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 03:13 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,676,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post
Rudy -and please correct me if I'm wrong- are loathed by most New Yorkers. They couldn't wait for him to get the hell outta office. If there would have been no 9/11 (where he was happy to pose left and right in the aftermath, but done precious little else) he wouldn't have a slightest chance to be considered.

Another thought, NYC crime rate did fall, but it wasn't neccessarily due to the rigorous policing, but rather attributed to the fact (according to the Economist/Statistician Steven Leavitt) that abortion has been made legal twenty odd years prior, and a whole new generation of gangsters and scum simply do not exist...

Sorry, but Guiliani would be huge mistake for the country.

I agree. I also withold my vote from McCain. I dont understand why Republicans are willing to settle for the lesser of the conservative candidates and go for the Rudys and McCains. There are plenty of other candidates out there and I hope that a strong conservative comes forward, like some already in that poll that arent front runners right now. (I dont consider Bush a conservative anymore either.)

Old 03-15-2007, 04:47 PM

17,446 posts, read 24,056,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I dont understand why Republicans are willing to settle for the lesser of the conservative candidates and go for the Rudys and McCains.
In Rudy's case, because they want a candidate capable of winning an election?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 AM

40 posts, read 22,899 times
Ron Paul!!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,708,549 times
Default None of the above..

I like absolutely not one individual running in this election on either side of the aisle..

Old 10-19-2007, 09:54 AM

34 posts, read 54,149 times
Where's Ron Paul on this "poll"

Looks quite a bit like what MSM would post...

Old 10-19-2007, 10:05 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,460,146 times
This is a very old post, from March of this spring. I believe it was posted at least 2 weeks before Ron Paul announced his candidacy. Fred Thompson isn't on there either.

Someone just saw it and bumped it to the top by replying, so its a very old thread.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM

1,562 posts, read 3,912,631 times
Voted romney in the poll since there wasnt a ron paul. I find it intresting you left out the 4th (almost 3rd) highest cash raising canidate out of the poll. Cash on hand he's actually 3rd.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,680,024 times
Yeah where is Ron Paul? Tancrado and Gilmore are barely registering in the polls. At least Paul is ahead of them. Brownback is out. Come on. Who do I want to see be the GOP nominee? PAUL OF COURSE!! If not I don't know who to pull for.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:45 PM

11,127 posts, read 12,714,177 times
I would certainly like to see the Republican party return to its roots as defined in this disputed Wiki piece as follows:

Republicanism is the political value system that has been a major part of American political thought since the American Revolution. It stresses liberty and rights as central values, makes the people as a whole sovereign, rejects aristocracy and inherited political power, expects citizens to be independent and calls on them to perform civic duties, and is strongly opposed to corruption. The American version of republicanism was formed by the Founding Fathers in the 18th century and was based on English models as well as Roman, European ideas, and the precepts regarding rule of law in the biblical Book of Deuteronomy. It formed the basis for the American Revolution, the Declaration of Independence (1776) and the Constitution (1787), as well as critical statements from Abraham Lincoln and others. It is not the same as democracy, for republicanism asserts that people have inalienable rights that cannot be voted away by a majority of voters; the two political philosophies have influenced but do not literally define their political party namesakes, the Democratic Party and the Republican Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or