Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
What is wrong with a president campaigning to promote legislation? You guys don't think presidents go on speaking tours? Wilson did the exact same thing for the Treaty of Versailles. George Bush came to my town to promote his tax cut in '01.

Frankly, I find it refreshing to see the president out there. I wish Bush did more of this, and I think his lack of doing this hurt his presidency a great deal.
What, 3 WEEKS after being sworn in? Find me another president who went back on the campaign trail just 3 weeks after taking office and then we'll talk. As for being "out there," for Pete's sake, he just spent 2 years on the road. What MORE is there possibly to see?

If he needs rallies to "feel the love" then he could at least learn to juggle, swallow swords or do something remotely entertaining. I'm with Miborn -- Obama must require cheering crowds around him. But he'd better get to work. The cult of personality will get old fast and reasonable people will start demanding more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
I've worked with politicians and it's very unlikely that any of them (Pelosi, Reid, Obama, his advisors) wrote the bill. Very rarely do politicians write the legislation they sponsor. Most of the time, the legislation is not even their idea.
So, the lobbyists lined up with their ideas and Pelosi wrote them all down? Heh, you're probably right! I was just watching Lou Dobbs' show and tomorrow he's going to discuss the $200 million going to surviving Filipino soldiers from WWII. WTH?!

Folks, we ALL need to form special interest groups and hire lobbyists for us on contingency. (They get 10 percent of whatever goodies they grab for us!)

Old 02-09-2009, 06:41 PM

442 posts, read 790,591 times
Obama's accomplishments are slimming and the American people are slowly turning their backs on him. Start with the unpopular stimulus, pass it, and go on from there!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 PM

244 posts, read 865,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
So, the lobbyists lined up with their ideas and Pelosi wrote them all down?
Exactly! Pelosi, Reid...whoever. I have seen this first hand and I don't doubt that the same thing happened with this stimulus bill.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:18 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
But he'd better get to work. The cult of personality will get old fast and reasonable people will start demanding more.
Well said!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally posted by teatime
What, 3 WEEKS after being sworn in? Find me another president who went back on the campaign trail just 3 weeks after taking office and then we'll talk. As for being "out there," for Pete's sake, he just spent 2 years on the road. What MORE is there possibly to see?
He's trying to market a major piece of legislation with high stakes. The Treaty of Versailles was similarly important to Wilson. The only difference is that this major legislation is at the beginning of his presidency. I don't see a cult of personality here. Instead I see a sensible political opportunity that only an idiot wouldn't take. Presidents who can go over the heads of the media and politicians end up very VERY successful (Think FDR and Reagan)

I'm torn on the stimulus package myself, but I'm glad to at least see a president out there communicating with us, about what he's doing, and engaging the citizens of the Republic in a great debate. I didn't see much of that last time around.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
I wonder if this is setting the pattern for his presidency? He's bopping around having town meetings in various states. My goodness, he barely got to the White House and already he's out campaigning again!
Can't really blame you. Many, as it seems, have gotten so used to seeing something on the campaign and a complete transformation once in office, that a change is unwelcome as it is forcing you out of your comfort zone.

I will say... get used to it. To a president who doesn't shrug people off, until it is election time.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 02-09-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I think his decision to visit the city was more of a symbol of the problem of America. Unemployment and I think he wants more emphasis with input from the people who are suffering from the worst of it... so to me, I think its fine... he genuinely wants to help and I think its a good that he goes out and put an image, a face to it all....

Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,913 times
This isn't surprising really. He loved being a Campaigner. He was a great Campaigner. I honestly think somewhere along the way he forgot that eventually he was actually going to have to do the job he was campaigning for.

So he went back to campaigning. I have a feeling he'll never stop. He knows that worked and when he tried acting like President Obama for a couple of weeks, he didn't like the way it went.

Last few days he's been one angry man. Where's the hope? And more importantly, where the heck is all that change?

Seems like business as usual to me. Typical Washington, typical politics, even most of the players are same old, same old.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
I wonder. Geez, the guy's been in the White House for 3 weeks and he can't wait to hit the trail? What, there isn't enough in Washington for him to do? Little things like learning exactly how the Executive functions, becoming better-acquainted with the key players, meeting and receiving updates from his cabinet. What person starts a new, high-powered job and then immediately travels away from the nerve center?

He has basically taken over a very troubled biz and promised "change." Well, he'd better stay put and get busy, not travel around and let business as usual go on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
That is all he knows how to do and vote present!

He seems to need that applause and cheers from the crowd! Now that he is Prez he does not need to worry about looking stupid at a townhall and loosing to McCain.

Traveling around campaigning is not very green.....
Yes, and if he stayed in DC all the time you'd complain that he wasn't interested in what his EMPOYERS had to say.

YUP, that's right! WE are his EMPLOYERS and have a right to have a discussion with him.

HE is willing to go out and meet with his EMPLOYERS, answer their questions, get their input...THAT IS CHANGE!!!! And it's a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections