Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should be done with MLK & Presidents Day holidays?
Keep MLK Day only 6 8.22%
Keep Presidents Day only 23 31.51%
Keep BOTH Presidents Day and MLK Day 38 52.05%
Keep NEITHER Presidents Day nor MLK Day 6 8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
good. columbus was responsible for the chaos and conquest of the native americans. he was no hero. MLK is a much more worthy heo who fought for a cause that endures today.
I agree.
At my last job (in CA) we got Cesar Chavez Day off but not Columbus Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:29 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Interestingly, there is a growing current of thought among radical black scholars that MLK Day is a problem, because by celebrating the things MLK did and said in 1963 we ignore his campaign for economic justice in 1967-8, and obfuscate the continuing inequalities in American society.

Regarding MLK, in the energetic language of Michael Eric Dyson, “we have sanitized his ideas…twisted his identity…(and) ceded control of his image to a range of factions that include the right (and) the federal government and its holiday” (emphasis in original).

Michael E. Dyson, I May Not Get There With You: The True Martin Luther King, Jr., ix-x (New York: The Free Press, 2000).

In this light, it is exactly because of this:

that we have MLK Day. MLK Day is not threatening, it's just empty feel-good rhetoric about equality. So while MLK may have stood for much more than that, MLK Day stands for nothing more than that.
Non-amusing typo.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:35 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
We don't have many legal U.S. Holidays that honor people. In fact, I can only think of two now...MLK Day & Presidents Day. I understand the need and proclamation to honor a black leader, such as MLK. But now that we have a black president, can't he, as the highest held black official now fill that need and be represented with all Presidents, regardless of race and color?

Besides...MLK day just comes way too close to all these other days we have off (Christmas, New Year's and Presidents Day).
Chicagoans have a day off in March, it's Pulaski day, celebrated thoughout the state of Illinois. Let's have one more day off added to celebrate this Great Polish man!
http://www.cardfountain.com/holiday_...ulaski-day.php

Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Because MLK deserves his own holiday, so hes gonna keep it. Maybe to you they look the same, but Obama and Martin Luther King Jr. are actually different people.
Ask for a national election...why not let the congress and house vote, and they can argue for years to come, because we all know most don't get along....everyone thinks "they" are correct....yes like kindergarden children...

Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
Ask for a national election...why not let the congress and house vote, and they can argue for years to come, because we all know most don't get along....everyone thinks "they" are correct....yes like kindergarden children...
Congress already did approve MLK day as a holiday. Obama is not recognized in any way other then being POTUS on POTUS day. There is no comparison of the days or the people.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
We used to get Columbus Day off...until MLK Day came along. My company took away the Columbus Day holiday (and I believe that even the stock exchange is open that day) and gave us MLK Day off instead.

On Christmas...most honor the birth of...consumerism.

That becomes an issue with your company and how they allocate holidays. It is not part of a national agenda and isn't impacted by Obama becoming President.

As you can see both Columbus and MLK Day are federal holidays.
http://www.opm.gov/operating_status_...edhol/2010.asp

Note that Federal Law denotes Washington's Birthday and not Presidents Day.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
jfkIII so what kind of question is this? Blacks can only have one Holiday to celebrate? Ugh I'm seriously disgusted to even bother.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:07 PM

49 posts, read 136,972 times
It takes some kind of nut to complain about holidays: I'd celebrate Richard Nixon Day if I had a day off

Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 AM

416 posts, read 712,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Non-amusing typo.
I'm sorry, where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections