U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:12 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,920,689 times

Advertisements

Diane Sawyer did a TV show about Appalachian poverty recently.

Part of her plan to reduce poverty in this area is to give every child a laptop. She thinks this will elevate mountain folks into a lifestyle that she finds less distasteful.

This is ridiculous.

Sawyer comes down from New York and starts to tell Americans in the Eastern Mountain areas how they should live. Because she knows better than they do ... how to live.

And if she has her way, she will get the Barack Administration involved.

I don't think that New York should be inseminating a mountain culture with their ideals.

These folks are not stupid. And they don't take kindly to someone coming up their driveways unannounced. Let alone the government.

If I lived in the Appalachian Mountains, and Barack tried to come up the hill, I'd tell him to leave right quick.

These folks deserve respect. Their fortitude exempts them from governmental affairs. Opossum stew is very tasty with carrots and onions.

What will Obama do to screw up the last existing American culture?

These people are self sufficient, not like you and I. Maybe we should just leave them alone. I think they like it that way. In their mountain utopia.

Last edited by Yooperkat; 02-21-2009 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:19 PM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times
I've lived in Western NC and spent a good bit of time in East TN, far western VA, etc.

On one hand, elements of the Appalachian lifestyle are far from Utopia. You see some pretty asotounding poverty and folks living in squalor here and there. However, folks in that area seem to be fiercely self-reliant. If you want to give help, it shouldn't come in the form of a laptop and should come from local organizations and entities. The people I met in the area were far more likely to accept help if it was from someone they could identify and trust, if begrudgingly.

There are bigger problems in the Appalachian region, too. Mountaintop removal comes to mind.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM

4,433 posts, read 3,920,689 times
My wife grew up in Virginia. I've been in the western portion of that state.

Although there has been some devastation from mining companies, many mountain communities still survive.

And you don't just come a knockin' ... unless they want you to.

Somehow, Obama will creep into their lives. Maybe not ... if Barack is smart.

This might be the last place in America where politics don't matter. Appalachians are staunchly self reliant. Almost like the folks who live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM

7,282 posts, read 13,523,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
My wife grew up in Virginia. I've been in the western portion of that state.

Although there has been some devastation from mining companies, many mountain communities still survive.

And you don't just come a knockin' ... unless they want you to.

Somehow, Obama will creep into their lives. Maybe not ... if Barack is smart.

This might be the last place in America where politics don't matter. Appalachians are staunchly self reliant. Almost like the folks who live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Yeah, well it certainly was that way for a long time. It's still that way to a certain extent. What's interesting in the western part of VA is that the coal mining came and went in some of those areas, leaving big scars but no jobs. It was up to politicians to push for government jobs, and now they lobby heavily for the placement of prisons in Western VA (Like the US Pen. in Lee County). At least that's the way it was related to me by folks who live up there.

Again, I'll say that if anyone wants to help in that area, grassroots is the way to go.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:46 PM

16,946 posts, read 22,260,462 times
Probably the wrong people for big brother to start messing with and playing nanny for.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:51 PM

33,878 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Probably the wrong people for big brother to start messing with and playing nanny for.
Read Sen. Jim Webb's book "Born Fighting". I'm also a product of that area and ethnic heritage (Scots-Irish (1700's) mixed with German (1850's) ).

Listen also to Tom Petty's: "I Won't Back Down" :

Tom Petty | I Won’t Back Down lyrics

Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,602,834 times
Why on earth would we want to change Appalachia? The rest of the country needs some comic relief, after all.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM

362 posts, read 694,191 times
damn, 523 a month on Food stamps? wow. the least they can do is atleast help the children.

the thing that gets me is they want a better life, yet have tattoos up the ying yang and expect to find a job? and I'm talking visible tattoos.

I'd say they should move to another state or go up north, hole up in a Shelter, and build from there.

I guess it's easier said than done, but damn, how can a place like that be ignored?

that place makes a ghetto upnorth look good

Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM

33,878 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Why on earth would we want to change Appalachia? The rest of the country needs some comic relief, after all.

Your elitism and arrogance is showing.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:59 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,602,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your elitism and arrogance is showing.
I've never attempted to conceal it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or