U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,109,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
For all we know, the recession could already be over. Consumer spending was up considerably for January, but it looks like the over reaction on the producer side is screwing us over. I think I agree with Bill Clinton (for once) when he advised Obama to be more hopeful.. Jimmy Carter made the mistake of whining and making speeches telling of doomsday scenarios that caused the problems to get much worse (and they say the president can't affect the economy....).

I am still a bit ticked that I missed the new episodes of Scrubs because the address to Congress blotted it out.. But whatever.
Obama used big terms like "catastrophe", "crisis" and "emergency" in order to get that stimulus pork passed fast. He was worried some promising economic data would come out before he could sign off on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 PM

500 posts, read 635,437 times
Yes, the Dahli-Bama delivered another great speech, but we never questioned that.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM

442 posts, read 716,985 times
Listening to Obama's speech, I could not help but

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 PM

5,140 posts, read 7,210,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Glad you're on cloud 9. I hope you are right about the recession. That would be great!
This article may be wishful thinking. I hope it's true.
Clip:
The U.S. economy is set to contract sharply in the first quarter, with the current cyclical downturn on track to rival the 1973-75 slump as soaring unemployment depresses demand, a survey showed.
However, a survey of 47 professional forecasters released by the National Association of Business Economists on Monday predicted the recession-hit economy would begin to recover in the second half of this year, returning to a potential growth trend in 2010.
The recovery was seen driven by the Obama administration's $787 billion economic stimulus plan, the group said.

Print Story: U.S. economy seen starting recovery in second half of '09: poll - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090223/bs_nm/us_usa_economy_survey/print;_ylt=AsgIdH3_BocGvRzGoPZnpfab.HQA;_ylu=X3oDM TExdWh0MTF0BHBvcwMxNARzZWMDdG9vbHMtYm90dG9tBHNsawN wcmludA-- - broken link)

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,765,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Gay rumors ? You better not let Michelle hear that. She'll kick his little behind !

Probably not....she looks like a man in drag anyway (in BAD drag at that)!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 PM

5,210 posts, read 9,109,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
This article may be wishful thinking. I hope it's true.
Clip:
The U.S. economy is set to contract sharply in the first quarter, with the current cyclical downturn on track to rival the 1973-75 slump as soaring unemployment depresses demand, a survey showed.
However, a survey of 47 professional forecasters released by the National Association of Business Economists on Monday predicted the recession-hit economy would begin to recover in the second half of this year, returning to a potential growth trend in 2010.
The recovery was seen driven by the Obama administration's $787 billion economic stimulus plan, the group said.

Print Story: U.S. economy seen starting recovery in second half of '09: poll - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090223/bs_nm/us_usa_economy_survey/print;_ylt=AsgIdH3_BocGvRzGoPZnpfab.HQA;_ylu=X3oDM TExdWh0MTF0BHBvcwMxNARzZWMDdG9vbHMtYm90dG9tBHNsawN wcmludA-- - broken link)
I think it's wishful thinking. The whole premise behind the spending plan makes very little sense to me - how do you spend your way to prosperity? How do you get out of debt by piling on more debt?

The middle class has lost so much of it's wealth and there are no plans by this administration to address that directly. I do not see consumer or investor confidence returning anytime soon.

All I see is a gigantic thank you note written and signed by the Dems to their supporters. That won't do much for me.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM

34,612 posts, read 33,611,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I can't express enough how glad I am that Barack Obama is our president and has begun attacking the problems that plague this nation, problems created by the shameful incompetence of the Republicans the previous 8 years. Great knowing that Obama is on the job, making intelligent decisions while his haters flail away in complete clueless bliss. Haters are clueless as they chase their tails.

I say by the end of this year, recession over.

Go Barack Obama! Intelligence, competence, versatility, depth, character at work!
I didn't hear the part of the speech about printing more money to pay for these things. Do you really think people who make over $250,000 a year are going to cover the cost of these spendaholic programs? Let's say you owe trillions of dollars on your credit card. Is the remedy to your debt to do more spending and run up that credit card debt even higher? Just because the President says it doesn't make it logical to people with half a brain. Hey. I'm old. You younger guys are the ones that will be saddled with this debt. I'll just suffer through the inflation years.

Also, who here is a senior? You do know that Tom Daschle's (almost had the job of secretary of health and human services) health insurance plan is based on a treatment formula (like great Britain) of cost over number of years you are expected to live? No, you didn't know that? That's because the political healthcare chatter (both political parties) is based on everybody having health insurance and not that if you are older, you might be scre*ed out of treatment. And who is going to decide? The Federal Coordinating Council for Comparative Effectiveness Research whose job it is to monitor treatments to make sure they are cost effective per the government - the new bureaucracy is in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act just signed. They might not call it rationing but it will smell like it.

And you know that part about you being able to opt out of having your medical records on some huge database? Lots of luck with that. Hospitals and doctors that are not “meaningful users” of the new government system are going to face penalties. Since "meaningful users" isn't defined in the Spendapalooza Act it's up to the Secretary of Health and Human Services to decide what that is. Try telling your doctor you want to opt out when he/she knows they'll face a penalty for your decision.

But hey, nice speech...if you live in Oz.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:37 AM

2,659 posts, read 2,573,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Arab View Post
Yes, the Dahli-Bama delivered another great speech, but we never questioned that.
I repped you for originality - hadn't heard that nickname before.
Not sure if you deserve the credit, but you get a rep.

Unfortunately, it looks like a pleasant start to a thread has become an anti-obama circle jerk.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,207,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
Listening to Obama's speech, I could not help but

It's funny, according to internet word searches, the word most closely associated with Obama is "speech".........not "work", not "problem-solver", not "act", not any truely actionable words.

Obama is simply a talking head. Blah, blah, blah. Does anyone listen to his hot air anymore?
When is Obama going to stop the campaign speeches and really get to work?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:50 AM

502 posts, read 841,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
It's funny, according to internet word searches, the word most closely associated with Obama is "speech".........not "work", not "problem-solver", not "act", not any truely actionable words.

Obama is simply a talking head. Blah, blah, blah. Does anyone listen to his hot air anymore?
When is Obama going to stop the campaign speeches and really get to work?
I think its so funny that he has been there a month and dems I know are already dismissing what he says. I think our wonderful senator Jim Demint said it best "He (obama) knows some of the targets of this bad economy, he's just shooting blanks." But I guess we should not question The Messiah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or