Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times

Advertisements

under obama's plan if every american making 75,000 dollars or more paid 100% (again 100%) of their income it would equal the budget that he is proposing. clearly, he is not going to get that kind of money in taxes and there is no possible way to get this plan to work. that does not even factor in that most high earners don't pay a fair pencentage of their taxes anyhow (as evidenced by our new treasury secretary and other appointees, both republican and democrat)!
we are completely in debt to china and they have strongly "advised" against our spending package so we will be on our own when this does tank us. as well, japan has problems of their own and can't help us.
the only thing to tell most americans now is to minimize your debt load and have cash where you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Floridasandy... welcome back. I guess it took a bit longer than the rest of the crew to recover from the election.

"Obama leading us to economic armageddon"

That's a lot of chew off, getting back on to the horse speaking, of course.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
under obama's plan if every american making 75,000 dollars or more paid 100% (again 100%) of their income it would equal the budget that he is proposing. clearly, he is not going to get that kind of money in taxes and there is no possible way to get this plan to work. that does not even factor in that most high earners don't pay a fair pencentage of their taxes anyhow (as evidenced by our new treasury secretary and other appointees, both republican and democrat)!
we are completely in debt to china and they have strongly "advised" against our spending package so we will be on our own when this does tank us. as well, japan has problems of their own and can't help us.
the only thing to tell most americans now is to minimize your debt load and have cash where you can.
Don't worry - he'll never get elected.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Don't worry - he'll never get elected.
And America is a center-right country. We won't let armaggeddon happen.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM

i don't feel bad about the election, but i do feel bad for all the people in our country! the one thing that isn't being discussed on this forum is the economics of the situation. what will we do if china or japan choose not to buy our bonds this time around? nobody seems to be thinking ahead because they are so caught up in which political party is "right". the government can sanitize the money for a while but we will have to sell bonds for these projects. the most optimistic outlook is that they will go with high interest which will increase our country's debt load and interest rate much further than discussed by our budget fairies.

ps. i did promise not to criticize obama until after he had started implementing policy and see where he was going.... so far GM has lost about 9 billion in the 4th quarter, not to mention they laid workers off anway and fannie mae lost 24 billion in the 4th quarter, so both losses were greater than anticipated. obviously, government bailouts are not working!

Last edited by floridasandy; 02-26-2009 at 06:02 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM

404 posts, read 560,759 times
Welcome to change we can believe in!! Yet, America is still behind the wheel asleep.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTYankee69 View Post
Welcome to change we can believe in!! Yet, America is still behind the wheel asleep.
Well I do feel like I'm in a bad dream. I hope to wake up soon and this will all go away.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Well I do feel like I'm in a bad dream. I hope to wake up soon and this will all go away.
Just imagine how the entire world felt with Bush as (p)resident.
You choose to be unaware of that.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:20 AM

conservatives were mad at bush, just as i suspect that liberals will be mad at obama in the end. when your party tanks your country (WHICHEVER PARTY IT IS) you have a right to be mad. the bailouts are not working! GM needs more money, morgan stanley needs more money, fannie mae needs more money, and the banks are going under! we have a right and an obligation to be disgusted. why not implement policies that do not hurt working americans first? they should stop all social security payments out of the country for starters. why should american taxpayers be funding people to live in other countries. that benefits no americans! the government should be deporting all illegal immigrants who have committed felonies and are now in prison. that benefits no americans! the new president should be making those who took obscene bonuses pay them back. these are billions of dollars lost! average people lost money in wall street so that these people could get those bonuses. pay them back!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:57 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times
The fact of the matter is, the Bush gang spent more money they didn't have in eight years than all of his predecessors combined. At some point that money has to be repaid, and there was never any thought towards that end. They simply put it on American Express with the intention of sending the bill to our grandchildren wihle lining their own pockets in real time. "Tax and Spend" would have been a great deal better than running the country at a deficit plus prosecuting two wars off the books. I didn't hear a great deal of screaming about the supplemental appropriations Bush asked for to throw away in Iraq.

The Plain and Simple is, Taxes Must Be Raised To Pay Off The Bush Debt, but the economy was left in a shambles. Obama's job is to restart the economy and the flow of money and grow it to the point that it can be taxed to cover the debt.

If you have a better idea than President Obama's, I'm certain he would love to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections