U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 05:12 PM

8,315 posts, read 9,760,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Oh I don't know...maybe evacuate so people are safe when it does explode.
In other words - magic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,806 posts, read 5,098,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Wait 'til Yellowstone blows. Hold on to you hats...and everything else.
Oh, there you are...I missed you.

493 posts, read 521,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, yeah - isn't that the GOP motto?: I GOT MINE! (to h*ll with everyone else).

Of course when the next natural disaster comes and affects THEM they're just like everyone else and will expect the government to help them out.

Ken
Basically.

Ounce of prevention, pound of...what was it again?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:14 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,996,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
And how exactly would 200,000 people get out of the way?
Normally that might be a pickle. But with a massive US naval base just a short ways away the could probably manage to rescue quite a few people. Especially if they had advanced warning.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM

11,102 posts, read 13,160,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
And I know just as many, actually more than were not going to vote for McCain and did because of Palin. If not for Palin, he would have gotten skunked. It was as close as it was only because of Palin. She was not my VP choice by far either.
Uhhh...he DID get skunked,were you on vacation and missed it?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,098,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Geez... I was just trying my go at a little humor since the world is ending....

Of course we will build on/around/under all those things and then after we lose billions maybe even trillions we will build on/around/under them again.

Capitalist... ya gotta love em..

There are many volcanoes under the sea as well...oh, and earthquakes. LOTS of earthquakes.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,731,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Uhm...guys...I'm still wading through the 600 pages on this thread, but can we remind ourselves that Yellowstone is one big-ass volcano. We'd all feel that impact.
Yup. It's a MONSTER.
If that thing goes, it's time to kiss America goodbye - maybe mankind in general. A Yellowstone eruption could be an "extinction event" - similar to what wiped out the dinosaurs. Not much we could do about that one - matter how much warning we had.

Ken

Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 PM

86,889 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
RE-read the post. The 30,000 was just from ONE of the possible mudflows. If the mountain blew - ALL of those mudflows would be active. In a major event, all 3+ million people in the greater Seattle-Tacoma region could be affected.

Ken
Yes, I realize that. I was just being sarcastic about someone saying it would "only" affect 30,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
You must have missed post 19, where 200,000 estimated are in the shadow of Hawaiian volcanoes. Don't know how they'd move that many people off an island.
That's why you don't work for the Hawaiian government. I'd venture to say you haven't been to Hawaii, either. The island of Hawaii (where one of the volcanoes is) is called "the big island" for a reason. There are plenty of places to evacuate people. Do you think the Hawaiian Islands are about the size of Three Mile Island or what? Do you not live in an area that is subject to natural disasters where you might have to evacuate to a safer place? You seem to be incredibly naive.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 PM

8,758 posts, read 8,845,845 times
Quote:
So you are saying he's just trying to blend in when he called Jindal an immigrant?

Could be I guess.

Anyway, no one can say for sure how the guy votes - and that's the way it should be.

Ken

No, that is not what I was saying and if it was I would have said it.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:27 PM

493 posts, read 521,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What is your problem? He was born and raise here and has a southern accent... do you hate him because he is Indian? Or do you mock him because he is an Indian with a southern accent... you liberals stink of intolerance... I have to leave now, it really smells...
No, I'd mock him because he comes across as condescending and moronic in front of a camera. That he's an Indian with a Texas accent is merely comic relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections