Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
If you choose to live at the base of a volcano, you can pay for programs to warn you to leave before it erupts.

This monitoring and warning activity would cross county and state lines. Please show the board an example of an organization that exists to provide this service.

My guess is that today, on the ground, these activities are performed at the respective state levels, supported by each state's liason to USGS. I also suspect, without researching it, that each state (Oregon, Washington) does spend $$$ to work with USGS to perform this monitoring and have in place some kind of public warning infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Risk-sharing is one of the reasons why human beings bother to form societies at all. Gotta love these people who think it's all just about them...

Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Libertarianism is a pipe dream. Always has been. Scientists and technocrats actually run the world today, else you step back into the early 1800s, or worse. The engineers work for the technocrats. The lone wolves refuse to deal with it.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
LOL...If people don't know that they live near a volcano or what a volcano is perhaps they shouldn't be saved

There seems to be a contradiction in post #70, but that may be because I am stupid On the one hand the organization does exist and on the other it does. Like I said, I am "slow".

Either way, if people who live in an area that will be affected by a potential threat and wish to be warned, those areas with those constituents should be doing the funding not everyone else in the country.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
I am glad to hear that you gave up on human freedom Park.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM

I think the word 'freedom' is like the word 'reality'. It has a private (psychological) aspect and a public aspect. At bottom, its meaning is a function of self-actualization, that is, it's defined by the individual.

Maybe 'freedom' can only be defined in "negative" terms, that is, in terms of limitations on individuals and on the state. Maybe defining 'freedom' in positive descriptive terms is a chimera, like trying to define 'reality'.

In America, the Bill of Rights sets the floor for the public meaning of 'freedom'. A little more of the public meaning of 'freedom' has been invented piecemeal by the courts and legislatures since then.

This is how I would begin to discuss 'freedom' in a more sophisticated manner.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 02-25-2009 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Risk-sharing is one of the reasons why human beings bother to form societies at all. Gotta love these people who think it's all just about them...
Well, yeah - isn't that the GOP motto?: I GOT MINE! (to h*ll with everyone else).

Of course when the next natural disaster comes and affects THEM they're just like everyone else and will expect the government to help them out.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 02-25-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
My immediate reaction was that I was watching Obama Light.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM

404 posts, read 560,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I guess the fact that Chris Wallace is a democrat and comes from a long line of democrats...remember Mike Wallace? stopped this silliness.
exactly!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Jindal is being groomed for leadership in the GOP but not the nomiinee in 2012, at least not at the top of the ticket. It is too early to make such predictions. Nice try though.
Quote:
He is direct but low key and soft spoken. It is his message of conservatism and common sense approach that makes him popular in Louisiana, not oratory skills. We will see how far oratory skills alone carry someone. Bobby Jindal is a Rhodes Scholar and very capable, but he is not being groomed to run in 2012.
I heard a story on NPR yesterday mornng before the speech that Jindal was being groomed to be the nominee in 2012. I guess since the speech, the Repubs are backpedaling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections